Skeet/Trap Gun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Shooter, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'm still shooting skeet/trap with my 870 which is very limiting when shooting doubles.

What brand of gun, model and gauge do you shoot skeet/trap with?

2. BLS33

BLS33 New Member Supporter

I use a Remington 1100 LT20. It is the same gun my dad used when he was a skeet shooter.

3. Subgun Ordnance

Subgun Ordnance New Member

Trap I use a BT-99 and Skeet and Sporting clays a Ruger Red Label

Later Joe

4. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Why the difference in guns between skeet and trap?

5. Subgun Ordnance

Subgun Ordnance New Member

The BT -99 is a single shot gun that shoots a pattern high you never miss with that gun. The Ruger is an over and under that I prefer for two birdies at once. All a matter of preference When I first started shooting clays I used a 11-87 auto I like a break open type gun

Joe

6. Ed21

Ed21 New Member

I use a Ruger Red Label Sporting Clays for everything, except HD where I have a 870 Express w/20 inch barrel. The Ruger has worked well for me. I even hunt with it. I also have a 20GA Ruger Red Label that my son used to hunt with. I have not shot it for quite awhile. Need to drag it out. I'd like to get my hands on a SXS that can hold up to the range use. The doubles I have had were all "field guns" and didn't seem to be able to stand up to shooting Trap, skeet, SC on a regular basis. I had a Ithica SKB Model 150 12 GA years ago that I shot 50 straight in Trap at a registered shoot in Red Cloud, NE. Sure liked that gun. I bought it at Montgomery Wards. got my first charge card with them to get it. (Cowboys don't make much money :rolleyes: ) My Grand Dad told me that "if Wards don't have it, you don't need it." That's sure changed :( Anyway, while living in Denver that was one of the guns stolen. :mad:

7. pagunrnr

pagunrnr Guest

trap/skeet guns

,,,Hello,,,,I am new here,,,NICE SITE SET-UP,,wow,,,you must really like to shoot trap/skeet if your using a pump,,,and thats super !
    I had to give it up a few yrs ago due to some serious spinal issues,,,I still have a browning 12ga double auto-twentyweight factory skeet bored taking up space in the safe.,,,if you ever decide to update. LOL
    JIM

8. clayman48

clayman48 Guest

Trap an Skeet gun

I have a bt-99, great for trap. use my browning special sporting for skeet and sporting clays. I also like my Beretta 391 sporting for all. It really does shoot nice. So my choice would be a good o/u with not long of bbl, or a good outo such as the beretta. None have failed me yet.

9. FALPhil

FALPhil Member

Trap guns are typically set up with stock and sighting configuration to shoot high when aiming dead on, because the target is rising away from the shooting station.

I use a standard Browning Gold Auto for everything.

10. Doc1052

Doc1052 New Member

I shoot a beretta 686eell for both trap and skeet. It’s an under single combo with an adjustable stock so i can switch back and forth

11. windjammer69

windjammer69 Well-Known Member

I use a Browning Citori grade 1 undersingle 34" for 16s and handicap. A Classic Double 101 30" over under for doubles. The Classic Double is a combo with 34" top single, that gives me a back up for singles if needed. And a SKB 785 28" over under for skeet and clays.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  12. Virginian

Virginian Well-Known Member

I use an 1100 12 gauge for trap, and an 1100 LT 20 for everything else. I am not a dead serious clays shooter in any event, but I can usually break 24 or 25 at Trap and the same for Skeet. I am not serious enough to maintain concentration for over 100 rounds. I do not like O/Us, with the lone exception of a little scaled frame Beretta 28 gauge. I sold my last O/U in 1963, though I have shot hundreds if not thousands since. Every time somebody gets a new one the are so proud and they ask me to shoot it, and I do and politely tell them how nice it is.
    Dedicated trap guns are designed to shoot high, as all the targets are rising. Field, Skeet, and Sporting Clays guns usually have the same or very similar dimensions, except that the length of pull is usually a little longer since the clay games are shot with the gun pre-mounted. In my opinion, it is a LOT easier to shoot trap with a field gun than it is to shoot anything BUT trap with a trap gun. Now someone will probably say how great a shot they are at everything with their trap gun, but the fact is you have to aim low to hit the target. If you are a beginner do you really want that added caveat?
    Also remember if you aim high and miss, you may still hit something worthwhile. If you aim low and miss, you risk pissing on your own feet.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  13. Adam 2

Adam 2 Well-Known Member

Browning Citori 425. I use it for sporting clays and trap.

14. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

Winchester model 12's and model 50's and krieghoff 32's.
    I tend to shoot more 12ga than anything...but can shoot any ga at anytime without issues.

15. windjammer69

Krieghoffs are K 80 not 32s. Remington the first where 32s then after troubles surfaced they went to 3200s but sales did not go well enough and they discontinued them.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  16. RKB

RKB Well-Known Member

Defective typing.

Virginian likes this.
  17. RKB

RKB Well-Known Member

Not true. Krieghoff made almost 12,000 Krieghoff Model 32's before the K80 was introduced.

18. windjammer69

I stand corrected Krieghoff made M 32s, I would say you have a very rare, and interesting shot gun.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  19. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Well-Known Member

Lot of subtle differences in shotguns that people never notice until they've bought one.

You can shoot skeet or trap with either one just as you can shoot it with your 870, as you've learned. Kinda like you can shoot pool with a golf club.

Skeet is a 180 degree range with targets varying in all directions from nearly straight at you to nearly straight away, high, low, one or two at a time.
    Trap is a 45 degree range with the targets vary from near straight away starting from 16 yards away from you to nearly 90 degree crossing and starting from a distance 16 yards away from you. They are one at a time and all rising target.

Different types of guns are designed to take advantage of these pre known conditions of the game. What is an advantage at one game MAY be a disadvantage at the other game.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Virginian and RKB like this.
  20. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

the reason many people i.d the krieghoff model 32 as the k32 is so that they dont have to continue explaining that its not a remington model 32.
    if all you were to say is...i have a model 32, the next question always seems to be....which one? the remington or krieghoff?
    i never have that problem when im talking face to face with somene. i always call it what the owners manual calls it...the krieghoff model 32.
    its a lot to type and many people including me.... just call it the k32 for short when on the net.
    and of course...those that have remingtons call them r32's.
    its the classic hair splitting tangle.
    as far as a k32 being rare? not really. maybe the super crown grade, but not a standard or san remo grade. low numbers ok. but not something people push each other out of line for. most likely because they were so loved, most are shot to dickens and on a 3rd rebuild.
    i do know that the first 11-1200 +/- were built on cast frames and with left over remington 32 parts. i do know there was a receiver mod around 2000 and some angles were changed with trigger groups and wood fit. i do know any if not all bbls interchange both 32 and 80. and finally, some of the last ones were totally revamped and built with k80 parts and wood. rkb i believe has one. (a signature grade none the less!)
    and to add to the confusion, any k32 can be upgraded both internally and externally to k80 specs. so...the original k32's in that light are something of a rarity. but performance wise? i dont mind the older ones. im old and so are my tools. i lke 26 and 28" bbls.