Skeet and trap

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by wiliardo123, Mar 17, 2012.

1. wiliardo123

wiliardo123 New Member

I need to get a multipurpose shotgun for trap and skeet with chokes for my older son
    Looking for one in the 1000 range hopefully less.
    What would be a recommended shotgun with silver finish with a little bit of fancy designs enough for the budget.
    Would be great if I may get some ideas from the experts ASAP.

Thank you

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Stoeger and the academy brand of the citori. If you can find one you can citori is great. Personally if you want an o/u or sxs id go stoeger. If pump id go stoeger, mossberg, remington. Any benelli would work great too.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

3. unclebear

unclebear New Member

You could by a Rem 870, and have a gun smith do a custom job on it. I know it's not anything like some of the fancier over under but 870 express has changable chokes and what not, and tons of different options for the shooter.

4. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Check out the DeHaan line of O/U shotguns. They are a great gun for the money. They are located in Lewiston, Idaho, I believe. Just google them.
    cottontop

5. RaySendero

RaySendero Member

Caution on a Skeet and Trap Gun

wiliardo123

A "multipurpose" shotgun for trap and skeet is an oxymoron!

Because a full competition shotgun for trap and to some degree skeet will have a very high post rib. This high rib is designed to align the gun to shoot high - Like 60 to 80% of the pattern over the POA. Its done this way on competition guns so the shooter can keep the target over the line of sight, i.e. in view, rather than swinging the barrel through the target momentarily blocking out the target.

If your son also plans to hunt with this shotgun – Get one with a low rib.

6. wiliardo123

wiliardo123 New Member

Remington 870 is great gun I own 1 of their short barrels for home defense.

Looked at the browning maxus with good detail on it. Will that one ideal for skeet and trap ?

7. wiliardo123

wiliardo123 New Member

Thanks all for the insights.

Now I'm locked into a 30 in barrel benelli or browning maxus and winchester sx3 silver all of them are great. But what would be the best

8. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Browning.

cottontop

9. racingfanatic

racingfanatic New Member

Im still drooling over the new maxus but you can get a used browning gold series or ruger red label in your price range

10. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

The Stoeger line of O/U shotguns deliver a lot of value for the money, both in terms of performance and good looks. For your budget, you can buy their mid line guns rather than the bottom, so you'll get nice wood and a little scroll work.

11. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

imho stoger is crap it your gonna shoot clay games . been there done that.look at browning berreta ruger used guns

12. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

Been shooting Browning for the past 9 years. Just got a fancy new Zoli....Get a good, used Browning 425,525...can't go wrong!

13. wiliardo123

wiliardo123 New Member

Browning maxus with some engraving for 1200 bucks believed to have quality , looks , value and performance specially it comes with all necessary chokes to be a multipurpose shotgun.

A lot of stuff in the market even name brands.
    I call ****GUN.

14. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

People are always asking about a gun for skeet and trap, but those two games are about as different as you can get in my opinion. You can use a field/skeet/sporting clays configured gun for trap a lot easier than you can use a trap gun for anything else. I know someone is going to say they use their trap gun for everything just fine, but the fact remains that trap guns are built to shoot high because all trap targets are rising, and that makes it more difficult, especially for a beginning shooter, to use it for other things. Get a field configured gun and you will not be in bad shape for anything. Until quite recently the field and skeet guns were configured the same, but of late they have gone to slightly longer stocks on target models because almost all target games are shot with the gun pre-mounted in the U.S.
    Yes, you can use a pump, but I find it more difficult because i know I am going to have to pump it. In the field I don't think about it, but on the line I do. Yes, it's all in your head, but 99% of all shooting IS in your head.
    I would look for a good name brand USED gas semi auto in a field configuration like a Remington or a Beretta. After you shoot for a while, you will almost assuredly form some of your own opinions as to what you prefer. If you decide you want to change, you won't lose a dime if you take reasonable care of the gun(s), and in the meantime you won't be handicapped at all. You can buy a $10,000 Krieghoff right out of the gate and it will not make you a better shooter. If you learn to shoot, and learn what you like to shoot, that will make you a better shooter in the long run. I have been at this for a looooong time, and I still prefer semi autos or a nice side by side. I cannot abide an Over and Under in anything bigger than a 28 gauge. Everyone is different and there is no right or wrong. Having a nice gun with some bling on it won't impress anyone if you can't hit with it.
    Good luck.

15. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

I shoot a sporting gun. Nothing special about it but you can shoot every game just fine if ya know how.

I really DO like the Browning Maxus as an auto loader...but I prefer O/U's

[​IMG]

16. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

agree. a true trap compition gun is on a total differnt beast LONG barrel high rib fitted to shoot 60 40 high or better .a skeet gun used to be a short barrel open choke but the barrels seem to be gitting longer lately.sporting clays going to 32 in barrels and the big dogs are shooting mod chokes.my self ? cant afford that many special guns a 28 in barrel im choke for trap and ic for skeet and most clays targets. a good ou gun wont let you down if you can stuff the shells in it it should go boom and you only need 2 shots(unless your shooting 3 bird clays) and the same gun works in the field just fine. just dont by on price alone a good used gun may be a much better value than some of the new brands and the crap some of old ones are putting out now

17. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

looking at the new 725 had one in my hands but you cant get extra chokes yet

18. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

Well, I'm mainly a sporting shooter...you've seen my piece. Zoli Kronos 12ga. 30" barrels and when I hit the fields it's Imp. Cylinder or Light Mod. nothin else....Popped a 75 yard crosser 3/6 with ICs when everyone missed with theyre extra fulls...

and I have not yet been able to check out the 725, heard good things though...Don't the chokes from 325,425,525, and 625 work???? I have a 425 and have used my chokes in ALL of the previous models....

19. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

what i understand the 725 uses a double seal choke with ring around the bottem and thay only come with 5 tubes i would want an extra ic and a lm but there not selling them yet.as to buying it a shop down here had 725 sporting for 2700 but thay insulted me on a trade in(beretta 687L) give it some time this may drop the prices on the 625s. and the gun felt sweet in the shop

20. wiliardo123

wiliardo123 New Member

Thank you very much for this thorough information.
    What I ended by buying is a browning maxus 30" it's a 3inch chamber but not sure about it taking mag loads.
    The best part it comes with good sights and a designated skeet choke.
    More likely I am shooting trap but will move to skeet soon.