Situational Awareness.......

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Dallas53, Jan 30, 2019.

1. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Y'know- there was a reason that bars had that mirror behind the barkeeper- and it was not so that you could admire yourself in the reflection.

2. BVAL

BVAL Well-Known Member

Correct c3, here is the perfect example. John Wayne "The Shootist" last scene he walks into the saloon not paying attention to the three guys that have a beef with him. His back is to them all, but he sure can see them all in the mirror behind the back bar wall. There ya go!

JimRau likes this.

3. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

CIA agents are trained to sit with their backs to walls . If you prefer to depend on a bar mirror for your safety, be my guest . But I think it reflects on you LOL .

SGWGunsmith likes this.
  4. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Wife and I will play a game from time to time... What and who did you see? It helps keep us sharp on our surroundings.

5. partdeux

LEO are civilians.

Trunk Monkey likes this.
  6. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Many of them seem not to think so.

SGWGunsmith likes this.
  7. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL!:rolleyes: From a 'professional' prospective LEO's are not 'civilians'. The way I put it is LEO's MUST be 'citizens' first and LEO's second, but not 'civilians'. Do you also believe that those in the military are civilians??? :rolleyes: Civilians DO NOT have an obligations, legal or moral, to 'go into harms way', where as LEO's do. We in LE are 'sent' to the 'problems' of civilians, by civilians, at their request, and we have a legal and moral obligation to not 'retreat' from the fight, but to locate and arrest the 'offender' to HELP the civilian 'complainant'. Just a little reality some must have over looked here.;)

8. partdeux

LEO have ZERO legal obligation to go into harms way.

Trunk Monkey and SGWGunsmith like this.
  9. JimRau

Maybe in your world, but not in everyone else's! :rolleyes: We in Law Enforcement just go in harms way for the fun of it!!!:rolleyes: So do you still say cops are civilians? How about the military???? OH, I think I already ask you that, silly me!:eek:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  10. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Hyper-vigilance does cause stress though.
    And people think that hyper-vigilant people are "twitchy". It can put you on the skyline in social settings, without proper training to maximize angles and reflections.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  11. schnuffleupagus

Agree to disagree. For a man of honor, an oath, once taken, binds him to action if the man can act.

12. schnuffleupagus

I compare it to how riding a motorcycle makes a person a better driver when in a car.

kfox75 and SGWGunsmith like this.
  13. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Depends. I face away from the door at the coffee shop sometimes because I don't want to say hi constantly.
    But I hear from local cops that they always sit back to the wall when alone. Understandable.

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  14. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

The book, " Dial 911 and Die " by Stephens from www.jpfo.org reveals that in most cases the police have no legal duty to help any individual citizen .

SGWGunsmith likes this.
  15. partdeux

Difficult to disprove a negative, but if you want to keep bringing up a red herring, be my guest.

Carefully read my answer. I'm only referring to binding legal opinion, nothing more.

SGWGunsmith and schnuffleupagus like this.
  16. JimRau

Red herring, I like fish!:p Any excuse for not answering a simple question. Are you a politician;)????

17. JimRau

What the court say is LE has no true 'legal' obligation to 'respond'! This ruling was as a result of a 'civil' case. HOWEVER, if a cop DID not respond to a CFS he/she would not be long for keeping his/her job.;) That is a well established FACT, not to mention the OATH we take. The ruling was specific reference a 911 call that 'got lost' by the communication section. The ruling was reference the 'agency', not the individual officer. If an 'officer' did not preform his 'assigned'duties and/or did not take action to stop and/or arrest a felon he could be charged in many states for corruption/declaration of duty. :)

big shrek likes this.
  18. partdeux

Jim,

There's been more than one ruling, and SCOTUS has refused to take additional cases.

Ever wonder why police cars no longer carry the phrase "to PROTECT and serve"?

big shrek likes this.
  19. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Well, there are a fair amount of Vets who don't know how to turn it OFF...
    which leads to a whole slew of other issues...
    It took me quite a few years after retiring to settle down and
    not be the most paranoid motherbleeper in the room...
    the wife will sometimes catch me doing my overprotective thing
    and its "Ok Rambo, chill out a bit, you're scaring the normals!"

wound.jpg

kfox75 and schnuffleupagus like this.
  20. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

And then there are the Broward Cowards...
    who failed to run in an save students being shot at Parkland,
    but nobody wants to talk about that...