Situational Awareness.......

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Dallas53, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Guest

well not entirely jimrau, as previously mentioned regarding COSTCO‘s membership agreement the pending customer signs which states NO FIREARMS and therefore if caught sloppily CC’g, you will be asked to leave and your membership will be canceled w/o refund.

on a more serious topic jimrau, as a former LE & now in an FOP leadership role of the blue brotherhood, i’m truly astounded you would, on this very public national forum, advocate forum readers, citizens one and all, to break the laws of their respective judicial communities.

now that is discourteous!

2. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

Most don't know what situational awareness is & much less practice it. LOL

Trunk Monkey likes this.

3. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

4. Rancid

Rancid Well-Known Member Supporter

I interpret "in vogue" to mean "in fashion". I don't give a rip if polka-dot pants are the big fashion rage either ... you will never catch me wearing a pair or caring whether or not others do.

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  5. Rancid

Rancid Well-Known Member Supporter

I tend to agree with Nmwabbit. We have the castle doctrine where I live. It is expressly for breaking and entering your home or vehicle, either being considered as "intent to do you harm" and authorizing deadly force. It is also expressly prohibited for use to protect your property. It is for protecting your life, not your property. It may be different elsewhere, but that's how it is where I live. So if I were to shoot somebody for swiping my lawn mower ... or even for trying to light my house on fire, I would be in a world of hurt.

But if I were to shoot them, break down my own door, drag them half way over the threshold, put a pry bar in their hand, then call 911, I would probably be OK. ;):D:confused:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  6. Bona Voluntate

Bona Voluntate Member

I first say that I have not read all the posts. But I have read enough to get a flavor of this thread.

As to Situational Awareness, what is it? It’s a lot of things. Military situational awareness is totally different than everyday awareness. As much as you want to be aware of your surroundings at all times it’s not totally possible. If we were all good at it auto accidents wouldn’t happen at the rate they do. Just when you think the guy picking out a candy bar from the display is a non-threat, he has a gun to your head. So, all you can do is your best to evaluate your surroundings and hope for the best because your best may not be good enough.

Now trespass, trespass laws are some of the most misunderstood laws on the books. Trespass laws, state by state, are allover the place and are misunderstood by the courts at an alarming rate. And cops really have no understanding of trespass law. (How do I know this? Almost two years of intensive study dealing with trespass law in defending against trespass, in a business open to the public, in which I was acquitted by a grudgingly incompetent judge.)

There is civil trespass and there is criminal trespass. And under criminal trespass there are differences between private property not open to the public (your home inclusive of the curtilage), a private business open to the public (Wal-Mart), and state government buildings open to the public. And there are a lot of gray areas depending on the state.

Businesses open to the public are only open at the pleasure of the state. In other words, businesses do not possess the rights they believe they have nor the rights people thing they have. Businesses cannot discriminate against classes of persons. See 18 USC §242. Those persons that exercise their Second Amendment right are a class of persons. This being the case, the Second Amendment right falls within the realm of civil rights. (I’m not getting into splitting hairs between open carry and conceal carry.) All your rights are like a huge bundle of sticks. They are all equal and by removing one of those sticks, the bundle falls apart. See the 9th Amendment.

Don’t get me wrong, just because a business is open the public does not give you carte blanche access. You may only be there to partake in their offerings or inquire into their offerings. Once that ends you are no longer a invitee. (Also, a membership club is not open to the public.)

Generally, to understand this better, fill in the blank with one of those rights from that bundle of sticks. Do not enter this establishment if you are ______________. Black, gay, female or carrying a gun. This is just a sampling of that large bundle of sticks, yet businesses and police think they may discriminate against anyone of those inalienable rights. Even though they can’t, they will.

But remember, the price to exercise those rights can get very expensive.

I’m sure some will take exception to what I have said, but if you haven’t walked a mile in my shoes, you should tread lightly.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    primer1 and Nmwabbit like this.
  7. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

If someone trying to burn your house down or anyone else house that is a felony you can shoot them without worry.

8. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

The flavor of this thread is a bunch of people who have no idea what they're talking about, talking about it.

9. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

You just don't get it do you???:rolleyes: The Constitution say we have the RIGHT to KEEP AND BEAR ARMS, so any LAW THAT VIOLATES THOSE RIGHT, or any of the other RIGHTS address in the BOR's, are not to be followed NOR ENFORCED. And any LEO who arrests anyone for simply exercising their RIGHTS are in DIRECT VIOLATION OF THE OATH they swore to regardless of what the state of local officials/laws say .

10. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Guest

how on earth jimrau, take anything stated in my post which concerns adobe/consumer private property and gun buster signs which you quoted about absolutely anything connecting the constitution, blue brotherhood oaths, enforcing nothing of substance in particular by the blue brotherhood as you espoused in the tirade above?

sidebar mate...the blue brotherhood enforce the trespassing statutes against the citizen carrying their SD handgun!

11. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Like I said, YOU JUST DON'T GET IT!!! Have a nice day.:rolleyes: I think many here are getting tied of our exchanges.:p Like I said here many times, I post so the 'read only' people can get both sides of the topic we discuss. So there is no more need for you to attack or ridicule me, we just don't see eye to eye and I am completely open about my self and you refuse to give even basic info about your self so I/we have way to judge your credibility. You appear to be just another internet troll.:(

12. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Guest

alas jimrau, i have not ever met your real or imagined perception of attack.

and there you go jimrau, hurling yet more intimidating names again at a member in your reality that power & control elementary taunts will some how discredit my standing.

first nobody has asked a salient question that was any of their business, only you continue to have asked questions with the clear intent of degrading me on this public forum.

I have not queried ghost, g66, fraeefall, trunk monkey, ad nauseam, for any type of personal information whatsoever...so who is this "WE", why on earth do they wish to judge my creds, and who in sam hill left you spokeperson of this "WE" mythical group on this forum?

as for your belief of you being completely open...i am glad it is your belief of your reality.

13. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Guest

my sincerest apology for this continued nonsense but, as stated when a bully continues to call out primary school type intimidation names, I was taught to stand up and call the bully out for their power and control antics...

14. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

What is it with you and "power and control through primary school tactics" ?
    Do you have some problems you need to lay down and talk about?

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  15. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Guest

Freefall, et al., thanks for asking the question...
    power & control bulling tactics are causal issues for Domestic Violence, for employee workplace dissatisfaction, as well as inflection of needless pain on members of our society.

last paragraph states my purpose on calling out those who disparage another member’s opinion to bolster their own ego without providing viable substantiation to the expressed opinion!

Quote,
    If you associate bullies with playgrounds and elementary school, that means you probably haven’t experienced one as an adult. Unfortunately, some people never outgrow being a jerk and continue this type of harassing behavior well into adulthood. Here are some tips for understanding and dealing with bullies, no matter how old you are.

Every bully I’ve counseled has had serious insecurity issues. Many times it’s because they themselves were mistreated or made to feel inadequate in some way and the easiest way to feel empowered is to pick on someone that they perceive as weaker.

Simple, yet extremely subtle things like undermining everything you do might seem small, but it’s grief you shouldn’t have to deal with as a mature adult. Of course, there is also the more obvious things like putting you down in front of others, playing pranks on you...

Assuming the bully is nonviolent and unlikely to find some other way to harm you, confronting them by pointing out that their behavior is bullying is sometimes a good start. Avoid provoking them but, at the same time, question their motives and what purpose going after someone who has done them no wrong serves them. This shows that you’re not afraid to call them out...

Bullies are looking for people that are willing to submit to their power play. If you make it look like the bully’s actions and words don’t affect you, it ruins it for them.

When you stop being a victim, each of the bully’s attempts becomes embarrassing for them, not you. Remember, most bullies just want to get a rise out of you so they feel like they have control. The less subtle and more aggressive they are, the easier they are to deal with. Label them as a bully in your mind and consciously avoid their bait. They might be aggressive, but they’re probably lazy as well, so they’ll eventually lose interest and look for a “weaker” target. unquote

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-handle-being-bullied-as-an-adult-1726099137

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2020
  16. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

I thought it was moot

schnuffleupagus and Nmwabbit like this.
  17. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

So your answer to my question seems to be Yes.

18. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Couple good threads started by couple legends around here have been pushed to the top recently.... I miss those guys, we lost TONS of knowledge

primer1 and schnuffleupagus like this.
  19. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

20. Bona Voluntate

Bona Voluntate Member

I guess I should have gone a little deeper into my explanation highlighted above. Private membership businesses and private organizations fall into the same category as your home. This category does not apply to government facilities and gov. assisted homes. Even privately owned apartment buildings fall into their own category. This is why trespass laws are not easily understood and are usually screwed-up by the cops and the courts. You carry on Costco property (openly or concealed) and get caught you can be charged with trespass. No reason to ask you to leave, you were already given notice in the contract you signed to join Costco; unlike Sam's club.

Even signs on the door can be a sticky wicket. Is it just a picture or a picture and words, and what do those words say? Where is the sigh posted? Were you given reasonable notice?

Talking about trespass in general terms will get you in hot water real quick. And it doesn't help mixing morals and law, oil and water.

Arguing with idiots only drags you down to the idiots level.

formerCav likes this.