Single Stage Discussion

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by JW357, Apr 14, 2014.

1. JW357

JW357 New Member

I have a progressive press already.

I will be getting a single stage in the next couple weeks. Mostly because I like the most control as possible over every single round.

Personally I'm leaning towards an RCBS Rock Chucker. I will primarily be reloading pistol calibers, but will possibly expand to 30-30 or .308 in the future.

_________

Let this be the place for single stage press discussion.

- What do you use?
    - Do you recommend it?
    - Is it compatible with all brands of dies?
    - Is it ok for both pistol and rifle rounds?
    - Have you ever had any issues with it and if so how was the company's customer service?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  2. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

The RCBS single stage is a good choice, however i can't figure out why you would want that for pistol Rds when you have a progressive.

3. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I bought a Rockchucker back in the early 1990's and still use it today. It has been and is a very good press.

4. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Why does the myth persist that single stage presses somehow make better ammo than a progressive. How does a single stage give you more control?

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I use my progressive for volume loading. I use my single stage for precise stuff. I will weigh each charge when I am loading for precision shooting. I use an RCBS single stage. It is a top notch press. You will be happy if you get one.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have no doubt that the RCBS will serve you well. a bit pricey, but well worth it.

i inherited my RCBS RC-5 from my father. it has reloaded many, many rounds over the years, before i got it. this press is well over 45 years old and shows no signs of wearing down!

but in all honesty, any of the top brands of reloading presses will probably serve the purpose you might need a press for.

7. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 New Member

- What do you use?

Rockchucker. I load 9mm, .223 and .308

- Do you recommend it?

Absolutely

- Is it compatible with all brands of dies?

Yes. However, It gets even better if you swap the threaded die nut for the Hornady LNL bushing system. If you already have a hornady progressive this upgrade is a must.

- Is it ok for both pistol and rifle rounds?

I use it for both. It isn't ideal if you shoot a ton of handgun ammo, but works just fine for me. I average 100-150 rds an hour 9mm.

- Have you ever had any issues with it and if so how was the company's customer service?

The only issues were operator error and with their dies. RCBS has great customer service. They refused to let me pay for a part that I broke, even thought it was entirely my fault.

You will not regret buying a Rockchucker press.

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'm not sure if I average 30 rounds an hour, if you

count in all the prep work.

But the truth is I'm a lousy shot. So I need every

advantage I can get, including precise, thorough, load

work-ups.

I've got an old Pacific C, and an old RCBS single stage.

9. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 New Member

30 per hour from unprocessed brass is probably more realistic than 100-150. I should clarify, that I clean size and prime in large batches. I keep them in a container with desiccant. That way when I want to go shoot I can load 100-150 pretty quickly.

I am also a lousy shot and the rockchucker hasn't been able to fix that.

10. Bayou

Bayou Active Member

I use a RCBS RC and only a RCBS RC. It's 40 years old, but doesn't look or act a day over 1. Does everything I need it to do. I don't load high volumes, but I load what I need and more.

It's simply a pleasure to go on the bench and reload. A simple pleasure......

11. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i use an rcbs rockchucker press. works great for rifle cartridges.. works great for pistol cartridges.. if i had to choose again i would get a turret press for the pistols though. using the single press on handgun ammo when you shoot alot gets boring, and tiresome. but it does work good.

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

I want more precision in my rounds. I have had some (non-dangerous) issues in the past with my reloads from my progressive press. It is difficult to pay as much attention to detail when cranking out several hundred rounds in an hour.

Plus, I don't get to the range often. So when I do make it, I take most of the batch if reloads I have made up. This would be the first time I see that I have a problem with that particular batch. The rest of the range trip is usually wasted.

Therefore I want more control over each individual round.

Please see above. If you have a difference of opinion, that's fine. You're entitled to it. It doesn't change how I feel.

13. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I've used presses from Texan, Lyman(Orange Crusher) and Redding,(Ultramag)

They're all good. the Rock Chucker is great.

But my favorite single stage by a country mile is the Redding Ultramag.

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I can easily reload 100 rounds an hour on my RCBS. This is just tumbled brass.

15. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

I use a single stage just for decapping. I decap right after each shooting session and when I have enough brass I clean. I have a range at my property, but the reloading station is at my bro in laws. We shoot, decap and then clean here...then the brass winds up over at his shop. It works. I didn't see any reason for us to duplicate equipment when we both have access to each others.

16. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

What do feelings have to do with it? Why don't you just load one round at a time on your progressive. I mean you already have it why not use it? I've been using progressives for 30 years and never made a dangerous round.

17. JW357

JW357 New Member

Why does it matter to you how I want to load my rounds?

I will continue to use my progressive for some things.

Using both types of presses isn't that uncommon. There are plenty if people who use both.

Anyway, this thread isn't about criticizing me or my choices or to talk about progressive presses. This thread is only to talk about single stage presses.

18. mboylan

mboylan New Member

In the case of a press like the CO AX, you get much more leverage and better concentricity. Leverage is necessary for tasks like case forming and bullet swaging. You won't notice any difference, if all you are doing is throwing some .45 or any pistol round downrange. If you are a benchrest shooter, you will gain some accuracy improvements.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  19. mboylan

mboylan New Member

How accurate are your rifle rounds compared to a benchrest competitor's? The top level guys step all the way down to arbor presses.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  20. string1946

string1946 New Member

I have a Lyman T-mag turret that I use like a single stage but I can go ahead and mount all the dies. The tool head holds either three 2 die sets or two 3 die sets.