Single shotgun-rife project

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by jdsingleshot, Jan 24, 2014.

1. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have an H&R 20 gauge and an H&R 357. Barrel contours are the same. That 357 is heavy. I did check and the barrels will swap out. I am wondering what other barrels might work. You used to be able to send in the action and they would fit a barrel to it. I would not mind having a 30-30. I always look when I go into a pawn shop or gun store. 45-70 would probably take a 12 gauge receiver. I like those break action single shots.

2. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Well-Known Member Supporter

Silver brazing requires around 1200 degrees temperature. This is hot enough to destroy any heat treatment of steel.
    Just putting the correction out here.

Gatoragn likes this.

3. jdsingleshot

jdsingleshot Active Member

Worth noting.

For perspective, most barrels are not hardened, just normalized. It has been common practice to silver solder sights and hinge lugs to barrels for generations. Mauser sights and single barrel shotguns being obvious examples.

BillDeShivs likes this.
  4. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Well-Known Member Supporter

I understand. Just wanted folks to know that anything over +/_ 400 degrees can affect heat treating- if there is any.

5. jdsingleshot

jdsingleshot Active Member

Bill, I certainly was not wanting to detract from your well taken point. Just expanding a little