Single shot rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Ruby476, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Ruby476

Ruby476 New Member

I have been looking at single shot centerfire rifles and wanted to gather some opinions. I have recently handled three: Thompson Center Pro Hunter; Ruger No. 1 in .308; and a used (excellent condition) Browning 1885 in 30-06.

I will be using the firearm for mid-range (200-300 yard) target shooting and, possibly, NY deer season in 2012.

I like the idea of the TC - the changing barrels & all. Don't love the stock. I prefer wood in general.

The Ruger is very nice. I like the idea of an iron sight gun. Don't know much about this model. Had a Ruger .22 (like some many of us) years ago.

The Browning is very nice. Late-1980s manufacture. Pricey - $1,200 Partly because it comes with an old Leopold scope. Also heaviest of the three. Also 30-06. Bit more firepower than I was considering....

Any words of wisdom out there?

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

T/c has wood stocks to sell and also sells em w a wood stock factory. The are awesome guns. Any of the calibers you mentioned are great for hunting and target shooting at those ranges.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

the ruger no 1 is a good rifle however the firing pins have a tendency to freeze when it gets cold. my uncle has one and was getting ready to take a deer with his a couple years ago on a single degree day. pulled the trigger but the firing pin didnt budge. deer kept on going without ever knowing the danger was around. so hunting in ny the no.1 might not be the best tool for the job. in warmer conditions it has performed great and is accurate though. ive heard good things about the t/c but have no exprience with it or the browning

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

If t/c's will fire a BP or any other thing in saskatchaun winters then they will anywhere

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Huh?

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

To keep the firing pin from freezing. Although the jug says not to let it touch the paint on your car, so I'd assume it would be hard on the finish of a rifle too.

8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

rudy476 IF you want a single shot firearm with the option of changeing barrels buy the T?C with a slug barrel. Then buy a bullberry barrel in the centerfire of your choice. Better barrel. To me the ruger and browning are just to darn pretty to take to the woods and any kind of weaither but a clear day. BUT for the price of any of the single shot rifles on your want list there are so many great shooting rifles out there that weigh the same or less and are more accurate and offer a quick second or thrid shot.

jjfuller1 Don't use regular gun oil and your fireing pin will not freeze. I have beed in north saskactawan?? when it was 10 belowmore than a couple times useing breakfree clp and noooo issues. Don't try that with rem oil

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I have hunted many times in below zero weather with no problem with different guns. I have shot a large number of original 1885 Winchesters(hence my name) they are great guns. I have friends with Ruger number 1's and number 3's and they all liked them.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Probably has grease or gummy oil in the firing pin channel. Taking it out and cleaning it well then using a dry spray lube should clear that up.

11. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I always had good luck with the Ruger #1 300WM that I had,never had any problems with the firing pin freezing when we elk hunted in Wyoming or Montana.It gets pretty darn cold in them parts too.

12. ACRhino

ACRhino New Member

Why single shot?

13. Ruby476

Ruby476 New Member

Good question ACRhino...partly the way I like to range-shoot. Taking my time. Clear head, exhale, fire, repeat...I have a couple of nice bolt action rifles (.22 & .223). Semi-auto is not for me. Looked long & hard at a lever action. So partly wanting something different than what I already have (beyond different caliber). I like the classic lines & quiet action of the Ruger & Browning.

14. ACRhino

ACRhino New Member

I would think that for hunting you would want the ability to at least chamber 2 rounds, one for the shot and one if a follow up is needed without changing sight picture or manually inserting a round into the chamber/breech.

15. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Some people prefer the challenge of making that one shot count though

16. Ruby476

Ruby476 New Member

I don't hunt large game at this time. Just birds with shotgun. Perhaps next year - but its been years since deer hunting. Thinking more for of a range gun for distance shooting. And, to be honest, I don't have a medium/large caliber rifle and want one.

17. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Any of the rifles mentioned will be great. My old FFL's wife has a trapdoor Springfield, an original in .45-70. She also has a Quigly rifle in .45-110. Those rifles are amazing. Both would be great range guns. Hand loading would be a plus.

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Too much lube. I had a #1 and a #3. No trouble with either in sub zero. Degrease for cold weather on any firearm. Light synthetic.

19. hoganfireman

hoganfireman New Member

Ruger has always had lower marks in the accuracy column. The thompson center encore pro hunter has a fluted bull barrel. With lots of caliber choices. The t/c triggers are CRISP! I have two t/c's and both are sub moa. I love my triumph even though this is a thread regarding single shot centerfire, it bears mentioning its sub moa at 100yrds.

20. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

there's also the many, many, many, caliber choices of the H&R handi rifles. plus you get a heavy barrel & most are available with wood stocks.

i don't know if they're quite the style you want but are probably the cheapest of the rifles you listed & will perform just fine.