single point sling vs 2 point sling Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by BigBizz87, Oct 14, 2013.

1. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Im sure its already been covered somewhere else on here but cant find what im lookin for

Was looking for opinions in which is more versatile for defensive CQB type situations

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Two point is best for anything but standing gate duty and checking id papers...

One point just let's you be hands free with weapon close at hand while filling out or checking papers.

It looks cool and that's about it.

One point while doing anything gets tangled up and is a big hassle. Two point can serve many roles including but not limited to:

Shooting aid, tourniquette, rope, ladder rung, sling, binders, tow strap list goes on.

One point is in my opinion a office clerical tool for gate guards. Heh

3. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Any suggestions on a reasonably priced quality 2 point sling that will last under a fair amount of use?

4. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Magpul MS3 Sling. Best of both worlds. You can have a 2 point or single point depending on your needs.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

I like the blue force two point for shtf. Turner sadlery biothane nm sling is the very best sling out there bar none, but you need a really well built ar15 full free float to take full advantage of what it offers. Lastly ye old black milsurp is pretty damn effective.

6. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I completely agree with jon on this issue.

I want to add that it helps with transition from rifle ot back BUT that really a security contractor and SWAT Team PoU. those guys have extra ammo/water waiting for them in the van.

For a civilian first defender who may walk some distance with a slung rifle while operating a radio or climbing or loading a truck a 1 point sling is near useless.

As it will constantly bang against his legs with any moving activity.

I kinda fault the instructors at many popualr carbine course for pushing traing carbine to pistol transition in case of failre.

In their PoU with thousands of taxpayer funded rounds a year to train on handgun maybe , just maybe, fpor them a handgun is useful in a situation thats tactical enough that you were using your carbine.

But for anyone else a handgun has no role in tactical environment.

So IN summary the single point sling IMO is a fad driven by the plethora os SWAT team members and returning security contractors that are now carbine course instructors.
    These instructors (shame on them!) have not displayed the mental agility to realize that their old PoU has little value for their students.

a traditional 2 point sling is what is needed for most peoples PoU.

7. 1911love

1911love New Member

Wasn't the Blue Force designed by Larry Vickers?

What's the deal with the Turner sling?

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

he put his name on it but he didnt design it. just marketing. doesnt detract that its a damn good sling.

the turner sling is a shooter's sling. its what you use when you want an allweather sling that locks up solid that doesnt stretch under any condition. when your shooting offhand you need the rifle to be tight as possible to the body so tight it can actually cutoff circulation in the support arm. when shooting from prone its more solid than using a bipod. shooting from sitting its about the same support and ease as a bipod.

good video on correct actual sling use. tacticool mall ninja operator types need not apply...

now i dont agre with his vp on the all weather version since it only binds if your not using it right or you got lots of bingo wing. the leather sling expands under use and stretches especially in humid weather they feel mushy

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toGKvlY-Qk0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Y67Jkfu48[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

A single point is basically just a retaining strap. The only real dynamic advantage it gives you is the ability to shift from primary sided shooting to support sided shooting without any additional manipulation of the sling. So if you had to shoot around cover from your support side, you can move the rifle from your strong side to that side without having to touch the sling, and you still have retention.

They don't offer much real support for boosting stability to gain better precision. They don't offer a lot of stability when moving once the firearm is released, if you dropped it to work with your hands or go to a secondary weapon. This'd and if you are moving, the gun can bounce around and beat up your legs or become an entanglement if you aren't managing the rifle still with the support hand, or if you don't get the rifle around to your back.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

I liken one point slings to gangster pants. Wearing pants with the crotch at your knees is cool until you need to move around....

11. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

I use MS2s and 3s on a number of guns, usually a single point. Don't have much in the way of problems with banging around even on my 28" shotguns with the GG&G mount fastened between the receiver and the sporter stock. I like having the piece secured to my body. And it's nice when you need a hand to move limbs out of the way. My goose gun has a two point tho, cause crawling with the single pretty much sucks.

12. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Lmao that's pretty funny I have a single point sling but no gangster pants!!!

my single is damn near useless for me been looking into the ms3 I like the idea of having the best of both worlds so that's what I'm leaning towards any input?

13. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

I'm missing something here...Why is it useless? Snugged on your body it keeps the stock close to your shoulder and adjusted correctly you can pull up and shoot without screwing with it. I also use it while on my four wheeler, just lay the rifle down and go...On private land of course. The pic is my favorite "bringing it just because" 20 ga. with an MS2.

Attached Files:

14. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 Member

Single point bungee sling = gangster pants nut buster

I have the MS3 and it stays in 2 point 97.5% of the time. It frees your hands to carry more stuff to your stand. For me that's a caller and shooting stick. 2.5% of the time it's in single point and I'm usually walking around the house making noises like "Pew pew.....pew pew pew."

15. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

How's that go again?...:D My slug gun and deer rifles all have two points for just the kind of thing you mentioned plus climbing ladder stands, but I really like the single for walking hunting tree rats.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I like the single point for man driving deer. When it's your turn to "push" the deer you can get off some quick shots at running deer. For virtually any other use I prefer a regular two point sling.

17. hmh

hmh New Member

One point if you are not moving. If you plan to walk or run 2 point.