Single or Double Action recoil?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by amstutz, Dec 2, 2010.

1. amstutz

amstutz New Member

I have heard that the recoil from shooting single action is less than the recoil from shooting double action. This claim was made specifically in regard to the Super Redhawk .44 magnum. I does not seem logical or reasonable to me. Is there any truth to the claim?
    Thanks

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The grip of the firearm MAY play with how the recoil is felt. Other factors include the weight of the firearm, ammo, etc...

The single action grip will normally allow the firearm to rotate upwards. The double action will not.

3. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

Now,let me see if I've got this right. Recoil,from the same gun,is different shooting single action then double action? I have NEVER heard that. I'd like to know if its true as well. I don't have any wheel guns though. I wonder if semi autos could act the same?

4. amstutz

amstutz New Member

Actually I saw a video on U Tube where the shooter explained that single action was less recoil, then shot double action and claimed there was much more recoil. I don't understand that at all.

5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I notice that in the process of operating the trigger on some DA revolvers, especially larger caliber handguns, my grip changes. This becomes uncomfortable for me and I find myself firing the weapon as a SA to afford better control. Could be the grips aren't what would be ideal, for me, or the shifting of the weapon when fired. It is worse weak side than strong side and doesn't occur with a classic two handed grip.

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

The only thing I've heard is about the single action grip allowing the gun to rotate in your hand and reduces felt recoil but as dan mentioned there are other factors. Once I get a chance to shoot my Super Blackhawk I can compare it to my 629 and let you know.

7. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Those will differ greatly, Spitty, even when shooting the 629 in SA mode.

The differences in SA vs. DA in respect to the same gun will differ only in the hand of the shooter. The gun will recoil the same every time it is shot with a common round. It feels greater in DA, because your hand is in motion, you are more stable usually in SA and many other reasons that are simply physiological.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

the recoil forces are the exact same. laws of physics dont change by pulling a trigger. percieved recoil could if the gun grip doesnt fit you for the singl vs double.

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

When I shoot my revolver single or double action I can't tell the difference in recoil......but, that being said, I'm not an experienced enough shooter to notice subtle differences. I do like single action better simply because of the ease of the trigger squeeze.

10. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Given the same load in the same gun. . . . yes. :)

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats what i meant heh :)

12. Recoil?

Among other things, the difference in weight between two guns makes a bit of difference in absolute recoil.

The difference in the shape of the stocks make a difference in perceived recoil.

Typically a single action's grip shape will allow the revolver to 'roll up' in the hand and that factor makes the recoil seem like less. The same thing applies to rifles as well. Some stock shapes cause the recoil into the cheek; that really seems to be serious recoil.

13. winds-of-change

My revolver goes both ways. ;)

14. spittinfire

:eek::eek::eek:

that's all I got.

15. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The OP needs to specify whether they're talking about "cowboy" style guns versus standard DA revolvers or what...

16. winds-of-change

Yeah, I phrased it that way on purpose. Just to get a 'rise' out of you guys. ROFL. Oh, I'm cracking myself up today. :D

17. spittinfire

I agree with this statement 100%. Grip design and fit can change percieved recoil.

18. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

WoC, (I'm trying to be careful here) the grip of any double action revolver has a "hump" that pushes against the web of the hand between the thumb and trigger finger and normally stops the firearm from rotating upwards. The single action (like most used in cowboy movies) is missing this "hump". Supposedly, the "hump" was added as an aid to double action shooting to help keep the handgun on target.

Now, take two handguns of the same weight, but one is double-action (like yours), the other single (like the one used by "cowboys"). Use the same type of ammo in each. Physics plays a part now, but the muzzle rise of the single-action should be higher than the double-action, but while the "felt recoil" is nearly the same.

That little "hump" does make a difference in muzzle rise.

19. amstutz

amstutz New Member

Ok guys, you have all confirmed my suspicion! The key is the "laws of physics don't change". The U Tube guy must be smoking something. Thanks

20. GNLaFrance

GNLaFrance New Member

My advice is to stop listening to the kind of idiots who post their idiocy on Youtube. Saying the recoil of a DA revolver changes depending on whether it's fired SA or DA isn't logical, reasonable, or true.