Single Action Revolver As A CCW?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Ingramite, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Ingramite

Ingramite Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm looking at a Ruger Single Seven with 3.75" barrel and birdshead grip in .327 Federal Magnum.

I've just about got myself convinced that this beautiful revolver would make an excellent EDC choice.

My vision is Mexican carry at 11 o'clock cross draw.

This revolver is a seven rounder. I have no illusions about speed reloads on any type of revolver. That type of activity is just not in my wheelhouse now.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is carrying a single action revolver for a defensive weapon?

SK2344 and towboater like this.
  2. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

I like the idea. If I could retire and dress the way I wanted, I would consider it.

I love single actions and when I find the right one and right rig (at the right time in my life)... I'll try it

Ingramite likes this.

3. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

No - unless EDC is around the farm, then sometimes. But that's for varmints, not defensive shooting against humans bent upon bloody murder. Although, in the 60's a Miller County Deputy carried a Ruger single-six on duty. Tussled lots of drunk Fr. Wood soldiers, but never shot anyone to my knowledge. He had a "reputation". Single-action revolvers are bulky and awkward compared to more modern designs for concealed carry. Then again, nickel plate and ivory grips are a statement unto themselves.

4. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

I would have loved to carry my Ruger Blackhawk .357 with the 6 1/2 barrel for EDC but not really viable. Although I did carry it OWB when I lived in Alaska many years ago.

Caveman Jim, Dallas53 and Ingramite like this.
  5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

If you look at my avatar you can see that I have a hand made concealed carry holster that I made for my single actions. I have carried the Blackhawk that is in the picture as well as a Vaquero with it. If you practice with your gun you will be better prepared then the gang bangers carrying their 15 round 9mm. I am not afraid to carry any reliable handgun that I own.

6. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Sure! Why the hell not! If you practice a lot with it and can conceal it properly. I have carried many a SA as a CC just for variety but I used to shoot SASS and still bring my SAs to the range to stay proficient with them.

Ingramite and towboater like this.
  7. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Well-Known Member

I've carried them before but if I felt serious about needing it, it wouldn't be my first pic, but then my first pick would be to just stay home that day with my shot gun.

superc, Ingramite and Wambli like this.
  8. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Bad guys tend to be in groups nowadays.
    If you're gonna go revolver, best be something that can be recharged w a speedloader.
    Even then.........a friggin auto w a spare mag seems better.

Years ago I had only a revolver, no speedloader, and three possible giftees.
    Was not cool knowing when I ran dry I was gonna have to rely on the pharmacist that seemed pretty clueless as to what was about to happen.

Ingramite likes this.
  9. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Well-Known Member

I've got a friend with several machine guns and such. His favorite saying is "Accuracy through volume." So you can imagine his tendency.

So any way, him and I were running a few handgun drills here on my range and a comment from him goes a long way with me. Not intended to really MEAN any thing just kind of off hand after we had run several "dog attack" drills and a couple swinging bottle drills and such and he is reloading after every drill. I'm just drawing and holstering, drawing and holstering and setting up for the next drill and he says, "Don't you EVER have to reload that thing?"

Every since that day I've had a lot more appreciation for my FNX-45, 16 round mag+1 I was shooting that day. Comes with another mag or 2 both are 16 round standard magazines. I wasn't shooting it that day but it also gives me a sort of warm feeling about my G20. I think all the standard magazines with it hold 15 in each mag.

The second personal incident that comes to mind when people are suggesting something like the single action revolvers for self defense is the day I was in a running gun battle. FORTUNATELY though we were both running for all we were worth, I was doing all the shooting. I caught a beaver OUT OF THE WATER and we were both about equally surprised and I was carrying my Cold standard Gove model 9mm. Not these hold MORE than either the 45 or 10mm but 9mm is plenty for a beaver if you hit, the main claim to fame when people are advocating for the 9mm. But 10 rounds wasn't enough. I drew and started shooting at him from about five feet with him already on a dead run for the creek, certainly less than ten feet. After a couple shots I was running after him and in less than 50 feet I wasn't more than 20 feet behind him when he jumped the neighbors bridge and disappeared in to the tree roots on the other side, like it mattered. My gun was dead empty in that time.

First thing that hit me was "I can't believe that thing got away as close as I was the whole time from start to finish and TEN SHOTS at him on top of all that?!"

Second thing that hit me, "Oh MY GOD! What if he had a gun and could shoot back! Here I'm standing 20 feet from him, one pissed off beaver or bad guy with a gun and now I'm dead empty. Not even an extra mag, NOTHING. I couldn't even throw this and have a prayer of hitting him hiding behind that concrete bridge. I'd be dead meat right now if this were a for real bad situation."

That has been a few years ago now and it is still the first thing that goes through my mind when I decide what I'm going to pick up and carry every day and what is worth carrying and what isn't. If it's a Colt, an extra mag is worth carrying.

Caveman Jim and EclecticShooter like this.
  10. Ingramite

As I read the endless possibilities, it becomes apparent to me that I must supplement even my current arms plan.

I'm going to develop a tactical wagon to drag.
    I'll begin with that little red wagon my grandkids left here at Christmas

Starting from scratch at the ground up... anyone got a line on some land mine proof tires?

11. Hookeye

So has anybody in a shootout ever complained afterward about having too much ammo?

12. Hookeye

Statistically you may not need more than 6 rounds.
    Statistically you may not need medical insurance til age 50 or wear a seatbelt.
    If one is so lucky might I suggest lottery tickets.

manta, Dallas53 and Ingramite like this.
  13. Ingramite

I think you're on to something here.
    Andy was way ahead of his time when he had Barney necked back to just one bullet.

Dallas53 and Jack Ryan like this.
  14. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Single action for concealed carry?

Not if:
    1. You plan on a second shot if the bad guy has a semi auto.
    2. You plan on a gun battle with an angry beaver.

Caveman Jim, Jack Ryan and Ingramite like this.
  15. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I guess some folks here have not seen someone that is actually proficient with an SA shoot one. Sure it’s not my go-to gun, I do have better options. But if I do pack one just for variety sake, I don’t feel unprotected at all.
    You can fire all 6 shots out of a SA as fast as anything else out there and probably more accurately than with many other “concealable” options I’ve seen others carry. It’s all in the training. Like any other gun you pick to carry you must become highly proficient with it or leave it home in favor of one that you are with.

16. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

Recently had a client who was a 30 year retired Marine Sergeant Major, he told me he would only carry one gun, a M9 Beretta. He said he carries it because he know how to use it really well(I’m thinking that’s an understatement). Carry the gun that you are most comfortable carrying and shoot really well. If you will carry it and if YOU can shoot that single action really good then it’s the best gun for you to carry.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  17. hotchilipowder1

hotchilipowder1 Member

Never been in a gunfight or even close, but have read that "most" last only seconds & if bad boy knows you have gun & are using it he won't stick around long. I'd say any gun you have & can use is better then no gun, so if you feel good about a SA.....go for it, just sayin'!

18. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

Whether to carry or not carry a SA revolver is a personal decision, and just like any other pistol a person would carry for SD, it needs to be practiced with. IMO, IF a person decided they were going to carry a SA revolver for SD purposes, I would suggest maybe spending more time with it to have confidence in carrying it for SD purposes. Muscle memory needs to be second nature.

Now personally, no, I wouldn't carry a SA revolver, but at the same time if a person became proficient, and practiced on regular basis, I would discourage then in carrying one.

JRDallas, kfox75 and Wambli like this.
  19. Ingramite

Lots of very wise advice on practice and muscle memory.

Christmas night found me laying flat on my back in Colorado snowbank. Leather sole cowboy boots are not appropriate snow wear. I know that now.

The long and short is that I haven't been to the range since then.

When I hit the ground I attempted to break my fall with my right arm. I guess I didn't succeed in breaking my fall but I did do a real good job of exploding my right shoulder.

Well it ain't a pity party. I'm going under the knife here in a week. I'm just hoping that I'm not gonna be gimpy afterwards.

My whole push on the .327 is a major reduction of recoil on a gimpy shoulder.

Truth of the matter is that I've never held a birdshead revolver in my hand. I have read a lot about how they tend to be softer shooting due to the revolver rolling under recoil.

Right now I can't hold a 1911 extended with my right hand. Maybe after surgery and physical therapy I'll be back. Maybe not though.

Thanks for listening