Since .22 ammo's so scarce...

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by hareebrownbeest, Jul 5, 2013.

1. hareebrownbeest

hareebrownbeest New Member

image-2637311689.jpg

Went with a Gamo Silent Cat. 1250 fps. Fun and cheap to shoot and you can do it in your back yard. Once again, shootings fun!

2. hareebrownbeest

image-3232426453.jpg

Top right of the box shows where the scope was set from the factory. This is at 25 yards. Once we got on the paper we started fine tuning it

image-1319389850.jpg

Getting there!

3. OldEagleEars

OldEagleEars New Member

Is that .177 or .22? It looks like a good time!

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

My backyard is too small for anything travelling 1250 fps. That is the speed of a 22lr. I would be worried about killing my neighbors dog.

5. hareebrownbeest

.177, it's pretty consistent, my son is going to bring it to work with him and hunt some ground squirrels, it should do the trick:)

6. hareebrownbeest

It kicks harder than our .22s, I got a nice 15 foot dirt hill behind my house that I can fire at safely.

7. Firenailer

Firenailer New Member

I'm really not too crazy about my neighbor or their dog, but still, I guess I probably shouldn't....but that does look like fun. :D

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

For shooting pests, stick with the lead pellets. Air rifles are finicky. Once you find a pellet it shoots well, stick with it. I use a 22 caliber spring air and it is pretty accurate. The alloy pellets are not that accurate and break the sound barrier so they are noisy compared to the slower lead. Some of the air rifles are suppressed (yes it is legal without a tax stamp) and are really quiet after the first 50 rounds. I have found it takes about 50 rounds before a new rifle settles down.

9. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

It will work well!

10. hareebrownbeest

Yeah there's some pretty good YouTube vids of some Brits shooting pigeons in London (pest control) right on the city, I would like to have that job. I doubt they would allow that in the states ( with air guns).

11. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I have a Daisy 1000 with a 3x9 scope on it and really good fiberoptic iron sights and this little puppy is a squirrel slayer of the highest order. I have also killed one cat and a raccoon with it as well. Head shots on squirrel inside 25yrds is easy. BTW only one shot to the head was needed to kill the raccoon. Best hundred bucks I ever spent on a air rifle.

12. stratrider

stratrider New Member

My wife and older brother each have scoped .177s. I have a .22 We do a lot of back yard shooting at spinning targets and paper. It's a cheap fun way to get the whole family involved in bettering their marksmanship.

13. Monarch416

Monarch416 New Member

Does anyone know why 22 ammo so is scarce?

14. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Yes. :cool:

15. Monarch416

Monarch416 New Member

I mean is there a recall on it or are the shops just sold out cuz I'm just curious why it's usually abundant but now is rarely seen or have ridiculous prices

16. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

Supply and demand...

17. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Because people like me saw the 2nd most liberal voting senator running for election and winning, and then hearing his cabinet saying things like "Don't ever let a crisis go to waste". So when Sandy Hook happened, they used that crisis to try and shove all these recent gun and mag capacity issues down our throats.

one of my stashes
    [​IMG]

18. Monarch416

Monarch416 New Member

Nice wish I had that much ammo I only have 1 box right now

19. widowmaker

widowmaker New Member

I bought a .22 cal Benjamin nitro piston air rifle to play with rather than shoot up my meager supply of .22 lr.
    This thing will shoot 950 fps and is a hoot to play with. We set up on old dishwasher frame with a shoot n see target on a wooden frame at 25 yds and dialed the scope in. The .22 would shoot through the back of the dishwasher cabinet. It was thin stainless steel and the pellets I used would either dent it severely or penetrate it . The scope is junk but the break barrel rifle is a great little air gun. keeps me shooting at least.

20. Monarch416

Monarch416 New Member

Ok where did you get it at?