Simple DIY Magnetic Knife Bar

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by Yunus, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Yunus

Yunus New Member

So I recently bought a couple new kitchen knives and wanted to get a magnetic bar to hold them. I couldn't find one that fit my space and looked nice, so I built one.

Parts required
    wood of your choice
    Neodymium Magnets, 1 per knife/tool you want to fit
    I used http://www.magnet4sale.com/Neodymium-Magnets-N42-0.75-X0.25-X0.5-NdFeB-Rare-Earth-Magnets.html
    Superglue
    Router or Dremel with router attachment (The Dremel is OK but not ideal, the plunge router attachment is difficult to fine tune adjustments and because it's plastic it's just not repeatable with a high level of accuracy, a real router on a table would have made this much easier and cleaner.

Just simply rout a 1/4" wide (width of magnet) slot into the back of the wood, keep routing until the wood is only about 1mm thick, superglue the magnets in place. The magnets I linked will hold a big Chef's knife very sturdy with 1mm distance between the magnet and knife. Be sure to check the polarity on the magnets you buy or get cubes so you know they will work in the direction you need.

Then mount it on the wall, I screwed it into a cabinet from the back side so it's a very clean look on the front.

Here's the pictures.
    http://imgur.com/a/Xxdp9

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wood was actually a Trivet that my wife found at Homegoods, its made of Olivewood and gives a nice rustic look. I had planned on just using some Poplar with decent grain.

2. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Thanks, I'm really happy with the results. I know it looks like it took 10 minutes to do but I had no experience using a router and learned a lot. Specifically a Dremel with a router attachment is NOT a router :D

I think if I were doing it again I might choose to use a drill press with a bit stop installed and just drill holes for the magnets.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

That's for damn sure. Lol

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

That is very cool. It looks great.

5. cotex

cotex New Member

Great job looks like it would make an impressive gift if you were to make another,,,,, pm me if you need an address

Tex

6. Beezer

Beezer New Member

Pretty cool lookin'!