Simmons scope?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Fathead00, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I'm looking for a little bit stronger scope for my Remington 721 30-06. Right now I have an older Hi Lux 3-9X40 scope. I just found this Simmons Whitetail Classic scope 6.5-20X50 for $100 and a $20 rebate from Simmons. I've been looking for a scope, but the prices on the stronger scopes are so highly priced. Please help with any info or a better scope. Thanks for any info!!!

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Fathead, the Simmons scopes are decent for the price, as they are not the best and not the worst. i have had several different ones over the years, and they are adequate is how i would describe them. for higher magnification scope, i would spend a little more and get a better scope, like the Nikon, Bushnell or Swift. check out MidwayUSA or MidSouth Shooters Supply for some decent prices on scopes. they have excellent service and fast shipping. i use both quite regularly and haven't been disappointed yet.

3. fmj

fmj New Member

Best advice i can give...STAY AWAY FROM THE WHITETAIL CLASSIC!!!

Ihad one...emphasis on HAD!

Problem one...good luck mounting it. Its a 60mm objective bell. You will need see thru rings + remove rear sight.

Two, the damn thing is JUNK!! It cost me no less than 4 deer. (yeah, i am slow on the uptake but i HATE to blame equipment) Turns out it WASNT the shooter but the scope that was slinging my lead in every direction but straight.

4. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Thanks for the info from both of you!!!

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Just my opinion, for however much (or little:D) it's worth.

I wouldn't have a Simmons or Tasco as a gift.

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have a friend that likes his Simmons Aetec, never heard anything good about the rest.

The new Redfield products are a good value and made by my favorite, Leupold. Yes I own Redfields, a couple of the originals and one is of the new variety.

I prefer a 50 mm for deer hunting in low light, just be sure to buy high rings. None of my deer rifles have functional iron sights on them, they were either never present or I removed the front post so it would not be there to snag on stuff.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  7. fmj

fmj New Member

Hell i have a Simmons (model 1012 3-9 x 40) on my 06 and a Tasco on my M/L that have worked GREAT for many, MANY years!

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a Simmons break on a 308 bolt. Sent it back and they sent me a new Aetec. It did not last 40 rounds. I do have an old Whitetail Expedition that is on a 223 bolt and has held up. Not a lot of recoil there. I wont buy another Simmons.

9. fmj

fmj New Member

might be such a thing as quality has diminished in the years since my simmons was made.

10. Axxe55

i have a couple of Simmons scopes that came on used rifles i bought and seem to work fine for rimfires, but there is next to no recoil on a rimfire, so this could be why they seem to work fine on them. sometimes use them for other rifles until i get a better scope bought or ordered, just to test out the rifle. Simmons would not be my first choice for a scope at all, unless it was for a light recoiling rifle or a rimfire.

11. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

So for a 30-06 don't go with a Simmons? I'm looking for a little stronger scope.

12. Axxe55

i had one on a Remington M700 in 30-06, that was on there when i bought the rifle used. i used it for a couple of months, and it did alright. i plan on upgrading to a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 in the near future.

13. fmj

fmj New Member

again, i have had a simmons on my 06 for MANY years!

I just dont see any sense in dropping more coin on a scope than i paid for my gun.

14. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

That's my main thing is price. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a scope. I have a Simmons on the 10/22 and had to replace that under warranty, but it seems alright. I read reviews on the Simmons scope and didn't see bad reviews on the scope I was looking at.

15. fmj

fmj New Member

I have not heard much good about simmons scopes of late. The whitetail classic did NOT work out well for me. Personally, i would probably go with a bushnell over a simmons these days. The simmons on the 06 is over 25 years old. Plenty of quality brands out there that wont break the bank, just shop around.

16. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Cool thanks.

17. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I guess I just can't understand why anyone would spend $1000-$1500 on a quality rifle, and then balk at $1000 for a top notch scope.

Look at the scopes that military and SWAT team snipers use. In other areas, we try to use what the top professionals use. Why not with scopes?:confused::confused:

18. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Do you make the amount they do? If you do then spread the love since it is just pocket change.;) That's my main reason!!

19. cottontop

cottontop Guest

scopes

But, I believe that the military buys them from the lowest bidder.

20. fmj

fmj New Member

Then do what the Govt. does...Buy those high dollar scopes for us??:p I'll take two if your footing the bill!;)