Silver Tip? Black Tip? Green Tip?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Vikingdad, Mar 26, 2012.

1. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

The SLAP round is not for general sale- a few rounds circulate among collectors. Accuracy was OK (belt fed MG, 650 rounds per minute. WTH do you need accuracy for?:p)

As said AP and tracer RIFLE ammo is not illegal under Fed law. The Civilian Marksmanship program as selling 30-06 AP as target ammo recently.

Tracer- playing with matches in a gasoline refinery MIGHT be more dangerous. A tracer bullet has a tail of VERY hot flame about 2 ft long. Set the woods on fire, after Smokey D. Bear whups hell out of you with that shovel, US Forestry Dept will send you the largest bill you have ever IMAGINED for cost of putting out fire.

2. lbwar15

lbwar15 Active Member

Did not know that. So I repeat my question ware is the best place to get it?

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Viking- it is illegal to manufacture or import AP handgun ammo, but not to possess it. (Well, not totally illegal, just restricted as hell) there are Fed standards on the construction of the bullet- never mind color of tip. Also, civilian ammo, such as Winchester Black Talons, do not follow a MILITARY color code.

4. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

So if you find a box of Black Talons in your ammo cache you don't have to make it disappear?

I have seen incendiary and tracer rifle ammo for sale in catalogs before. As far as the pistol/rifle thing how do they make that determination? There are only a handful of the common cartridges that are truly "handgun only" (as I know you are aware). So, for instance, .22 rimfire tracers would be legal if you are firing it from a rifle, not if you are firing it from a handgun. Is that correct?

5. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I think that if there's a bug enough market for handguns in any particular caliber,then it's subject to the ban. I know there was a big fuss about century and others getting the okay to import dracos and other ak pistols because that ended the availability of AP ammo in 7.62x39 a while back.

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

OK, another question, If you reload using milsurp AP projectiles is that illegal because you are "manufacturing" ammunition?

7. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker Well-Known Member

For putting 650 rounds through the same hole. :D :p

I hope not.

What is military silver tip .308?

8. mudpupp

mudpupp Member

Easy, just shoot at a really big hole.