Silver Tip? Black Tip? Green Tip?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Vikingdad, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

What is the difference? They are all steel core penetrators as far as I know, but what is the real difference between the different colored tip?

I have some .308 silver and black tips and some .50 silver tips and I also have a bunch of .224 FMJ, all of which attract a magnet that are all pulled and re-sized military projectiles. So what exactly do the different color tips mean?

I have also seen blue tips which I am told are tracer rounds (why aren't they NATO less-than-lethal rounds? NATO shoots blue bubblegum ball ammo, don't they?)

Anyhow, just trying to figure this stuff out.:confused:

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

You can toss that thought out. Russian and Hungarian silver tip is not armour piercing. Black tip Nato is. Green tip 5.56 has a steel core behind the lead tip to penetrate body armour.

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

The silver tip on Russian ammo is to show what weight it is isn't it? How about the silver tip on American ammo?

4. texaswoodworker

I did a little reading and here is what I found.

Green Tip NATO- Enhanced Penetration

[​IMG]

Orange Tip NATO- Tracer

[​IMG]

Blue Tip NATO- Armor Piercing Incendiary

[​IMG]

Light Blue Tip NATO- Incendiary

[​IMG]

Black Tip NATO (Head stamp pre-1995)- Depleted Uranium Armor Piercing

Black Tip NATO (Head stamp post-1995)- Armor Piercing

[​IMG]

Red Tip NATO- Tracer

[​IMG]

Feel free to correct any of these if they are wrong.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  5. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

I thought silver was what you used on werewolves? Is that not true now I haven't seen twilight yet?

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Sounds about right to me. I am a big fan of the green and red tips.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Important thing to remember- while a color code may be standardized within a given organization, such as NATO, it does NOT apply to other nations. Black may mean AP in one country, and incendiary in another. Also, color codes may change over a period of time (red tracer vs orange tracer) AND simply having a magnetic core does not make a round armor piercing.

There are well over 100 different color codes when you include oddball crap (such as the .50BMG Raufoss, the 7.62 NATO SLAP, frangible bullets, APIT, etc.)

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Damn...what twist rate do you need to stabilize that slug?

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Those depleted uranium rounds are heavier than lead yet very hard, are they not? Are they copper jacketed so they don't mess up the rifling? The pics shown of the NATO rounds it does not look like copper. Is that the photo or is that a non-copper jacket?

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Green tip is not "normal ball". It is "enhanced penetration" for body armor.

You want to get esoteric? Try .30-06 green tip with white band. That is frangible.

11. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

What, maybe like a 1:7 twist?

12. texaswoodworker

I'm not sure what kind of jacket is on them. Those pics are just what I could find.

Thank you, I fixed it.

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Weird? Have a 9mm Parabellum that is tipped in bands of red, white, blue. Special round for a subcaliber trainer for the AT-4 rocket launcher! But it looks SO patriotic!

Back in the day of the early Starlight scopes, regular tracers would cause the scope to white out- have one round of Starlight tracer- barely visible to naked eye. Nowdays, there are infra-red tracers.

Some rounds just did not work out- the 7.62 NATO SLAP was a very hard small diameter projectile in a plastic sabot. Idea was to really boost penetration of the M-60. Problem was, barrel gets red hot during prolonged fire. Sabot starts to melt before it gets out of the muzzle. Makes bullet yaw inside the barrel. Bullets leaving thru the SIDE of the barrel. Ungood.

14. texaswoodworker

That's not good. :eek:

Those NATO Slap rounds looked kind of odd. When they did work, were they accurate?

[​IMG]

15. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Ware can you get these rounds.

16. texaswoodworker

I don't think you can get them unless a few somehow make it home from the military.

17. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I know you can't get armor piercing or incendiary. But I thank I have seen tracers in .22 before

18. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

You can't? I thought all of that was legal outside of California.

19. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Since when? AP and incindiary are perfectly legal in rifles and in most states. AP HANDGUN ammo is illegal under federal law.

20. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

How is anyone able to determine what type of ammo? As I recall the "black talon" ammo had a black tip.

If somebody has pink-tipped nuclear mother-effers in their cache of ammo is that an automatic felony?