Silver Bullets - looking for info

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Marthor, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Marthor

Marthor New Member

I recently bought a bunch of silver coins which is a common recommendation in survival and emergency preps. So, now I'm in this "silver bug" mode and I just had the idea of getting silver bullets. I want some!

Since silver bullets are common folklore, I'm sure somebody probably makes some. I'm interested in 22lr, 223 and 45 acp silver bullets. Where can I get some and how much?

Also, does anybody know if silver is harder than brass? I don't want to damage my barrel.

2. marc29th

marc29th New Member

I had made up a couple silver musket balls once but never fired them. Never heard of any company making any.

3. TimKS

TimKS Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Today's silver price is $28 per oz.... One 230 gr. 45 ACP bullet is just over a half oz. That means it will cost you about $14 per shot from your 45. :eek:

You can melt down and pour your own bullets with a bit of reloading equipment. Have fun. :D

4. Marthor

Marthor New Member

If werewolves were as popular as Zombies, there'd be silver bullets everywhere! :D

5. Marthor

Marthor New Member

I don't have any reload equipment (yet). I'm looking for ready cartridges.

Yes, each shot would be pricey, so I may not actually shoot. I just want a magazine full.

6. marc29th

marc29th New Member

LOL all to true, I made the musket balls the same way I made lead ones, I believe the melt temp on the silver was quite a bit higher than lead so it took longer for the scrap silver I used to melt in my crucible.

7. SWBMOAMP2691

SWBMOAMP2691 New Member

My grandfather got a box of .300 win. Mag. With silver tipped bullets. He's had them for a LONG time. Just to guess at how old they are I think the price tag was 19.99. I'll double check when I get home and post a picture. I thought it was funny that we had them because neuter of us has ever owned a rifle chambered for that round.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

LOL - Are you filming a John Woo movie anytime soon? :D

I would think that silver would be a nightmare for cleaning the lands and grooves post shooting and while I don't think it would wear on the steel, it would definitely leave it's mark.

The melting point is about 1760 degrees. By comparison the melting point of lead is about 621 degrees so it's just shy of triple. Melting your own is going to take some serious heat. You have any Magnesium you can throw in the fire? :D

I would think the sensible thing to do would take some ammo, get some blue painter's tape and a $3 can of modeling paint in chrome silver. ;)

JD

9. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Be honest Marthor...you just watched that cheesy new series "Teen Wolf"'and got scared, right.

Would be MUCH cheaper to melt down 1 of your coins and fill the cavities of your SD hollow points...:)

They will perform like FMJ's AND take down the BIG BAD WOLF! :D

Sorry brother but I had to poke fun at that one!

Tack

10. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

Idk man but i do know i bought a box of 30 30 shells that r silver tiped...half of the bullet is actually solid silver and ive also seen the same in 40 cal but they were almost $50 a box

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

LOL - ZING! One for Tack!

PLEASE DON'T DO THIS WITHOUT PULLING THE BULLETS FROM THE CASES FIRST!!! :eek::eek::eek:

JD

12. Marthor

Marthor New Member

Good idea, it would probably be less explosive that way. ;)

My wife got me to watch the Twilight Movies, but I haven't seen this new Teen Wolf series or even heard of it. So, in the spirit of being honest and with your personal knowledge of its cheesiness, you are admitting to watching this show? :p

This pic needs to be n this thread too...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  13. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I caught about 10 minutes of it over the weekend. It was a little to "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" for my taste...;)

14. Marthor

Marthor New Member

The Lone Ranger used silver 45 long colt bullets and rode a horse named "Silver" too. "Hi-yo Silver, Away!"

This silver bullet is on display at the Smithsonian...
    [​IMG]

So, now I want some 38 special for my cowboy Ruger Vaquero guns too!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  15. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Winchester Silvertip bullets are aluminum jacketed-some are regular copper jackets that are nickel plated. No company has ever made/sold silver bullets.
    Silver is much harder than lead.

16. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

...cool but you wouldn't actually fire them? Right? I mean, UNLESS the warewolves show up! :D

17. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

That cartridge is silver plated.

18. Deuce

Deuce New Member

Wouldn't making those come dangerously close to the same concept of the old arcane round that are bronze and instead of a slight curve to a point they are just chamfered to a hard point ?

Which I'm pretty sure is illegal, or am I reading to much into it

19. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

No, you're just exerting too much thought on a ridiculous thread.

The 30-30 aren't silver, the 300WM aren't silver.

Hollywood, Hollywood ...

20. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I seriously doubt loading a few silver bullets as a novelty would get you crosswise with the Federal Prosecutors.

The Winchester "Silver Tip" rifle bullets were early versions of the modern ballistic tip/bronze point using Aluminum or nickle plated points ( or nose caps in the case of the .30-30