Silica Gel Desiccants

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by PanBaccha, Sep 2, 2012.

1. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Regarding silica gel desiccants placed inside of ammo can. How often do you replace them, and how long will each last?

2. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Iirc, it depends on how often you open the container and the relative humidity while open. When I was researching food storage about three years ago, I believe I read one packet in a coffee can size container would be effective for up to an hour exposure of opening. It's been awhile since I read that.

I'm sure bkt or c3 will come along and straighten out my memory and give you the goods.

3. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I use kitty litter in my safe in a perforated coffee can. Once a year or so, I will pull it out and bake it in the oven for a half hour. I live in the tropics and you won't find any rust on my guns.

I suspect it would work well in ammo cans too.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yep. Once sealed, it absorbs moisture in the air inside can, no more gets in. You can reactivate by baking at low temp. Stuff I have used has a color indicator mixed in, tells you when you need to recharge. Depends on size of packet, size of container, ambient humidity, and how long you leave can open. I have some 20mm cans that are BIG!

Re: kitty litter- will work, but important note- get it BEFORE kitty does. :p

I also keep a bag in the trunk for emergency traction on ice.

5. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

There are some out there as well that are designed for specific RH levels. Sold to the museum art community and widespread in the cigar world. Usually sold as 60 or 65 percent RH. Works great in a humidor and also in the safe. Should be good for ammo too.

6. downsouth

downsouth New Member

What about vacuum packing ammo. Any negative side effects ?

7. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

Great question. I've wondered about vac sealing small caches of ammo the can and bury in a few shtf rendezvous locations.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The last time I tried to put the old bag in the trunk, she used a tire iron on my a$$.

Almost everything is coming with those packets of dessicant. Grab the ones that came in the box for the wife's shoes. At my house, that is a regular change out.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  9. tnguyengp

tnguyengp New Member

Corrosion Prevention

Silica gel is a granular form of silica that is made synthetically from sodium silicate. It is non-hazardous and can absorb upwards of 40% of its weight in water vapor at 100% humidity. It is a solid substance that is extremely porous, making it capable of absorbing high levels of moisture, it has the highest moisture adsorption capacity of any commercial desiccant making it one of the most effective ingredients for products designed to provide corrosion protection during transportation and storage.

In cases where moisture needs to be eliminated entirely, the use of powerful desiccants such as silica gel may not be enough. To that end, moisture barrier bags can provide the level of protection required. It is often used in Military Packaging.

10. MrShotty

MrShotty New Member

I make my own with kitty liter. For $6, I get 100 (or 200, forgot how many were in there) coffee filters and 4lb bag of kitty liter. Ive had them in there for a few months now, only opening for less than a minute here and there. I plan on making more and replacing them soon.

11. LkWd_Don

LkWd_Don New Member

I saw someone mention the color changing desiccant packs. There are two that I know of, one is blue colored beads that turn pink and there is one that is brown that turns dark green. The blue ones I know can be heated slow and low and will change back to their original color allowing them to be reused. I am not so sure that any of the others can be dried and reused.

Even if you vacuum seal your ammo, it doesn't hurt to put a thin desiccant pack inside the box before you do just to insure it stays dry. Especially if you are packing it away for more than a year or happen to live where the humidity is very high and/or has frequent risks of flooding.

I am listing a couple of links to desiccant sites where folks can learn more about these. Though I do not suggest going out and buying them (unless you really wish to) as these things are packed in so many electronic games, televisions, computers and what-not, just put the word out to your non-2A friends that you collect and reuse them. Just have them put them into old medicine bottles for you.
    http://www.agmcontainer.com/desiccantcity/desiccant_desipak.htm

http://www.silicagelpackets.com/silica-gel-packets/moisture-indicating-silica-gel-packets-cobalt-chloride-free/ This product turns from orange to dark green

http://www.veritemp.com/Products/Packaged+Desiccants/5-gram+COLOR+CHANGING+Silica+Gel++%28Clear+Film%29+Desiccants+%2850+bag%29 This product turns from blue to pink

12. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I get mine from my work. When we get new DC drives for our machines or any type of electronic's that have those packs in them i grab them. That are about the size of a softball and weight about a pound each. I put them in the oven on low heat for a little bit and they work great. I have around 15 of them in a bag waiting to be used.

13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Does one really need to put a desiccant in with ammo? I've heard people say they've fired rounds that were 30 years old and just kept in a drawer or closet and the rounds were perfectly fine.

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I hate giving "It depends" answers, but, I have to.

It depends on so many things. I believe the latest American Handgunner magazine did an article on ammunition that has been flooded. http://www.americanhandgunner.com/flooded/
    In some ammo, water did seep in and got the stuff wet. In some cases, Air pressure got by primer and bullet and had an affect on powder. Powder has a slow decomposition rate when left in the open air.
    In some ammo that was "sealed", there was no problem.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  15. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I do it just for piece of mind. Im sure it would be alright seems how i cant seem to keep ammo around long enough to let it go bad.

16. LkWd_Don

LkWd_Don New Member

Most Factory ammo will be fine if kept in a cool "dry" place, but say you live in an area with a high humidity and have a long term power outage in the summer months or live in a place Florida where even what you put into a box in a closet risks becoming wet with a hurricane or Kansas with a Tornado blowing through town. Even if you were to take an extra measure of vacuum packing it, the best of vacuum packing machines will not get all the air out, so in high humidity area's you would be sealing in moisture. I throw in a desiccant pack when vacuum packing just to be safe.

With the majority of the Ammo I have being my own hand reloads, as soon as I finish a box not intended for range shooting, I put it in a sealing bag with a desiccant and vacuum seal it.

With the cost of Ammo, its best to be safe than sorry.

17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Ebay has a variety of desiccant packages for reasonable prices. I keep a couple that are about 1/2 LB in my gun safe.