silent round

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by akers06, Apr 30, 2012.

1. akers06

akers06 New Member

What is the most quiet bullet for a .22 that is still lethal to a small animal like a squirrel or rabbit

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

a 22 rifle that can shoot a 22 short is pretty quiet. probably going to be a bolt action to be able to use a 22 short though. just make sure it can shoot them, cause not all can.

3. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

cb cap at VERY close range

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Or the new CCI Quiet ammo

5. akers06

akers06 New Member

I have a marlin 25n and it won't shoot the she shorts I've tried...it won't cycle them out of the clip.....I have some remington cbee22

6. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i have not shot them but my buddy does all the time they are subsonic and are very quiet he says that he shoots squirls (check spelling) with them so just what i know.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The CCI CB Long and the CCI Quiet are both REAL quiet, and will kill a squirrel at 25 yards or so. The Aguilla Colibri is also extremely quiet, but has less OOMPH! than the CCI stuff. They will ALL have a different point of impact from regular 22LR ammo.

The CCI will cycle through MOST bolt actions, lever actions and pumps. The only semi I have ever had that DOES cycle the CCI CB longs semi-auto is a Remington 550-1. I have a few of them- they have a floating chamber, and you can mix shorts and LRs in the magazine.

8. NickySantoro

NickySantoro New Member

FWIW, Remington has a CB in a true long rifle (CBee22) which works well in rifles like my Mossberg 40 which fusses when fed standard CB longs.

9. Jeff_F

Jeff_F New Member

The CCI .22 CB long is a 29 grain bullet at 750 fps. The new CCI .22 Quiet is a CB long with a 40 grain bullet at 750 fps and feeds in any .22 long rifle firearm. It may or may not function in a semi auto but it will feed. Its very quiet in a rifle and kills jackrabbits around the hay stack dead.

10. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

The doves know of the Aguila Super Colibri & the neighbors don't.

11. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

what about migratory bird game laws? please keep posting

12. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

When firing CB/Shorts out of a long rifle box-style magazine rifle...chances are you'll want feed 'em one at a time into the open chamber...
    Easy way is to get an 915Y one-shot adaptor...if you use them a lot.
    Otherwise you can mod a spare steel mag or two for CB's/Shorts if you have a High Standard Magazine Tool & micrometer...

Tube mags will feed the CB/short/long/LR...like in the 781/881/981/XT22T's

13. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

The new 40 grain quiet CCI ammo would be just right,or..you could just load one cb short in the pipe for ultra quiet(assuming you need just one shot)and be backed up with a full mag of something else in the gun.

14. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Between the CB Long & the QUIET, which might be more accurate?

15. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Which is more accurate!!! The one your rfle likes best but don't expect ether to shoot as well as target match ammos out there. I have several rifles that will shoot better ammo well under 1/4" at 25 yards the cb's and cci quite is closer to 3/4". I have used cb's in years gone buy to hunt with and will use the new cci quiet today as the 40gr bullet simple works better at longer range. For years I used match grade ammo for hunting out of a long barrel rifle. It does seem is would be illegal to use .22's on doves but thats your problem to know your local laws. And remember the 40gr bullets will carry down range way farther than a cb. Don't hit any house's or cars or people with a miss. That is the reason behind useing bird shot and a 410 works well.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  16. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Well I picked up some Winchester CB-Match, it's a little more accurate than the Super Colibri & with a little more authority. It's a tad louder than the SC's but it still sounds like a BB gun. I'm not sure if I'll stick with it over something else though. I'll order some CCI QUIET & give it a go.

17. Clem

Clem Member

The full power round that I have found to be very quiet is the RWS Subsonic HP. My CZ 452 particularly likes it, and in its 25” barrel it is amazingly quite. I have shot it in my bullet trap in the basement, without earplugs, and the loudest noise was the mechanical noise of the impact of the firing pin. The CZ also shoots the stuff into just over an inch at 100 yds.

18. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Gee, I thought this was what he was talking about ;)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iONTdNm4Ju0[/ame]

19. sailor353

sailor353 New Member

I've shot CCI 22s HP in my Rem 552 and the action of the gun cycling is louder than the bullet.

20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Most 22lr get their max velocity in a 16"-18" barrel. You actually begin to lose velocity in longer barrels but they are quieter.