Silencers For Unthreaded Barrels

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by tinbucket, Oct 30, 2017.

1. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

posted in wrong forum

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

That's OK- it was kinda light, so I just slid it over the Class III/ NFA. So, what were you saying?

3. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Just interested if silencers are available for barrels, like MkII slab sided target models or other pistols and rifles without threaded barrels.
    Also opinion, if it would be wise to wait a year for silencers to be removed from GCA34 regs.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Cannot recall seeing an effective suppressor that was not threaded. Gas leaks at muzzle make noise.

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There are threaded adapters available for some firearms. The most popular one is for the Ruger 10-22. Look up threaded adapters. You do get a small amount of residue (bleed) inside the adapter but not problematic.

6. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

i have seen adapters for non-threaded barrels before. most of them are kind of cheap and cheesy, and because of how they attach, never as good as a properly threaded barrel. i kind of put them in the same category as fake suppressors.

7. JTJ

Dont buy the cheap and cheesy ones. The one on my 10-22 was not cheap. Not as good as a threaded barrel but it works. The fit was tight and has 3 locking screws. The cheap ones will have a loose fit and 1 locking screw. I went this route to try out the rifle with a suppressor and I did not want to mess up my barrel. For not much more money I could have the barrel cut and threaded ($40-60) but I want to retain the sights. I am looking at getting a take down with threaded barrel and sights if I am happy with the results.

tinbucket and Dallas53 like this.
  8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Tin
    IMO, I would be frightened by a Suppressor that just fit on the end of a barrel that was not a threaded barrel. The reason is there must be perfectly alignment with the bore of the rifle or pistol and suppressor. I have seen those that had the quick Suppressor Disconnector made for it on a barrel. The individual installed the suppressor on the Disconnector slightly canted and the bullet actually struck the suppressor baffles. And another one that the bullet hit the very front of the inside of the suppressor and bent it out. But to answer your question I personally do not know of any good suppressors for a barrel that is not threaded. However a good competent machine shop or Gun Smith could thread a barrel.

JTJ and Dallas53 like this.
  9. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

Ruger also offers an integral suppressed barrel assembly for the Take-Down 10/22 rifle.

10. JTJ

$600+ tax stamp and jumping through hoops. It is probably worth it but I have a 22lr suppressor I want to use. If the Hearing Act passes I will look at getting additional suppressors.

tinbucket, AZdave and Dallas53 like this.
  11. JTJ

I verified alignment with a bore sized rod. No way I was shooting it without verifying. Locally I can get a detachable barrel threaded for $40-$60. Anything that wont chuck up in a lathe will probably be more money. There are specialized dies with a guide rod that have to be used to control allignment if they wont chuck up. How to videos on Utube.

AZdave likes this.