silencer legal if not attached to rifle?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by shnorse, Sep 4, 2013.

1. shnorse

shnorse New Member

In NY i can not get a stamp for a silencer, as i find this incredibly stupid i will abide by the law. I know that if I make a silencer that attaches to my gun I will end up in jail.... With that said, If i make up a device to shoot past with multiple chambers made out of plate steel shaped like

___ . ____
    1 \ / \ / 1
    1 / \ / \ 1
    1 \ / \ / 1
    ___ . ___

LOL you get the idea... something like that filled with steel wool or something like a muffler... or just shoot through a straight muffler, would that work?

i don't see why this would be illegal, all it is is a sound dampener.. if attached to the gun, illegal, placed on a bench.. not?

bad idea? just curious, trying to keep the neighbors happy.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  2. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

Even with a revolver the gap between the cylinder and barrel is too big and they make a lot of noise.

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Well trying to appease the neighbors will never work.... as long as they are more than 500ft away from where you sit when you shoot..... and you shoot within reasonable hours. Say between an hour after and hour before sunrise sunset.... as long as there no local law.... Forget what the neighbors think.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

1. Won't work
    2. Who says a silencer must be attached to a firearm? Under the NFA, a silencer IS a firearm. And here is the legal definition-

Silencer

26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(7)

For the purposes of the National Firearms Act the term Silencer is defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24)

The term “Firearm Silencer” or “Firearm Muffler” means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for the use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

5. shnorse

shnorse New Member

wow, that's one messed up definition... what i was afraid of... glad i asked than, thanks!

I was bored and thought i found a loop hole, guess not.

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

It does say a portable firearm. If you weld the pistol to the table along with the muffler you may have found that loophole...provided of course the table itself is permanently attached to the ground. :D

7. shnorse

shnorse New Member

So if i weld my slide to the barn, and weld the muffler infront of it i'd be perfectly legal... hmm, sounds easy enough

8. WillWork4Ammo

WillWork4Ammo New Member

yep,
    even the adapter to use a oil filter as a suppressor requires the $200 tax.Check the ATF's website and get familiar with the laws if in doubt about something so you don't end up in the federal pen.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  9. hq357

hq357 New Member

What if its internaly built and part of the gun?

10. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

Anything thats makes a gun quieter needs a permit, you can go the Form 1 route if you think you can build your own.

If the suppressor is permanently attached to the barrel, then the barrel length will be measured when bolt is closed to end of suppressor. So you could then have a 11" barrel 6" suppressor and be longer then the 16" minimum. But it must be permanently attached to the barrel.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  11. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Now I'm worried! I was going to build a tire tube to diminish the report of my .300 Win Mag.
    The plan was to place 5 matching tires together like a roll of lifesavers and shoot through it.

Sounds like this would be illegal also. I am 'tired' ( <-- pun ) of this.

12. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

Easier solution move away from ny. I know I did and im loving it down here in the land of the free Texas

13. hq357

hq357 New Member

Come to the southwest its still the wild west in arizona! we hav some of the best gun laws in the nation! :D

14. shnorse

shnorse New Member

would the tires hypothetically work?

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I am surprised the EPA does not ban all firearms without suppressors. States have all manner laws regarding loud and excessive noises. Why is there a law on sound suppressors on firearms? This is just another look firearms are evil legislation. There are many states which allow suppressors for hunting game. The Federal Law only creates jobs for the BATF and lawyers. :(

16. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

17. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

I myself thought about building a long 30+' skinny building with doors on each end and lining it with https://www.google.com/search?q=Aco...ls&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The biggest problem I found with something like this is that if you are using a scoped rifle or pistol is light. So you need to install some kind of lighting so you can see the target.

So I started looking at LED light strips. But, the ones I found that I think would works best are $400 a pop for 16' http://www.elementalled.com/double-wide-high-density-flexible-led-strip-light-by-the-foot.html