Silencer for Ruger Super Redhawk?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by fish, Dec 2, 2009.

1. fish

fish New Member

Hi all. First post here.

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag, 9" barrel, with a Nikon scope which I use to deer hunt. However, I am bothered by the fact that my gun is soo loud, my ears ring if I shoot without hearing protection (which I do only when hunting). Does anyone have any experience with putting a silencer on a big revolver such as this?

I would appreciate your thoughts or links to where I could get more information about this.

2. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

While you are waitifor some one with some experience to drop in on this thread and help you out. Why don't you stop by the introductions area and let us know a little bit more about you?

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Silencers are pretty useless on revolvers since you have a gap between the cylinder and barrel. Not worth the hassle.

4. fish

fish New Member

I had thought about this....

I did think about this, and this issue is one of my questions regarding the whole idea. I assume a silencer would decrease the noise at least?

5. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

It is useless, illegal in most States and should not even be discussed in this forum..We don't even know who this guy is....

Jim.............

6. fish

fish New Member

With your suggestion, I've added a post to the into forum. Hope I'm following procedure?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  7. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

Now you are. No worrys.

8. fish

fish New Member

Illegal?

I realize you don't know who I am yet. This is my first post, so it kinda goes without saying...

I did a google search, and it seems that you can fill out a little paperwork, and be legal with a suppressor. If I suppressor/silencer is not out of my budget, I probably wouldn't mind filling out a little paperwork. I certainly don't have anything to hide (deer antlers?)...

9. MB44

MB44 New Member

10. fish

fish New Member

directional hearing?

My Dad and brother had some like this, though with less microphones. Would this kind with 4 mics allow for directional hearing? I'd be surprised if you could tell the difference in a sound 40 yards away, and one 2 yards away, as you usually can while hunting.

11. MB44

MB44 New Member

I am not sure that these have four mics, all I have ever seen is with two mics, but nevertheless, - Yeah, the sound is a bit funny, but you can get used to it. I wouldn't say they are omnidirectional, but rather somewhat directional, as the mics are forward facing. I have used them for sports but never for hunting, but I would still say if you learn how to "work'em" it should be possible. Now, I got to be honest and say that I have never done any hunting in my life, but applying my skills as an engineer I would say that it should be possible to use them for hunting.

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

There are amplified ear plugs also that have the same cut out circuitry to protect your hearing. They should allow better directional awareness. Electronic ear muffs are pretty reasonably priced and with experience will not be hard to cope with in the field.

A supressor (silencer) on a revolver is not worth the expense. There is still significant noise from the cylinder gap and the barrel must be threaded to accept the supressor. All in all, with the can, the gunsmithing, the transfer tax ($200) and the sales tax, you could buy a very nice set of electronic ear plugs and keep $500 in your pocket.

13. utf59

utf59 New Member

You might give this site a look-see: Walker"s Hearing Enhancement and Protection.

There are also other companies that make electronic hearing protection in stereo. That should help with directional hearing.

Also check your state's hunting laws. It may be legal to own a suppressor but not legal to hunt with one.

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

1. Suppressors on revolvers are worthless. (this we have established).

2. Suppressors are not illegal at all. Maybe in some states but over all if you fill out the paper work get finger printed and pay your $200 tax then you can own a suppressor.

3. You should wear hearing protection. I am getting some custom molded ear plugs from westone (Custom ear plugs, hearing protection & in ear monitors :: Westone) for hunting and range shooting.

4. welcome to the forum.

5. AWC - Silencers, Suppressors, Sniper Rifles, Suppressed Weapon Systems,Sound Suppressor, Sound Technology, Silencer, Suppressor, Gun Silencers Gemtech Home Page Liberty Suppressors - Firearm Sound Suppressors and The Phoenix Flash Hider

Some general info on them. Silencer and Suppressor General Info at Impact Guns Home

Remember to CHECK YOUR STATE LAWS TO SEE IF IT IS LEGAL TO OWN A SUPPRESSOR.

15. fish

fish New Member

Thanks everyone

I appreciate the responses, even for a newby like me :)

It seems that a silencer is not my best option at this time after all. I may look into getting some of the hearing protection with microphones, and may check my state laws regarding suppressors out of curiosity for another gun later...