Firearms Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading in a book I bought about Soviet/Eastern European firearms made in the past 100 years ...

They had a section about a 7.62x39 handgun round that was essentially used for assassinations because it was a silent round due it's design and pinless firearm.

Anyone know about the technology behind it?

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
I believe it used a telescoping case that trapped the gasses and propelled the bullet with a piston-like device.

·
Administrator
26,296 Posts
Robocop nailed it. Gasses never leave the shell casing. Spetnaz also had an interesting UNDERWATER weapon- fired what looked like a knitting needle.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
US had a similar gun built on the Mdl 29 S&W revolver. Piston pushed out a shot charge. No flash, no sound. Tunnel rat gun.

Bill

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are those types of shells illegal here in the US? Would be a cool collectors item.

·
Administrator
26,296 Posts
No, the ammo is not illegal- just would be a VERY PRICY collectors item.

·
Premium Member
9,982 Posts
Robocop had it right. During WWII the OSS used silenced rounds in .30 caliber. That round uses a captured piston to propel the bullet. It was subsonic. Got one somewhere in my junk. Will try to find it.

BTW: There is a silenced HE Frag round for the 40mm M203 and M79 grenade launchers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts