Silenced Shell

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by notdku, May 28, 2008.

1. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I was reading in a book I bought about Soviet/Eastern European firearms made in the past 100 years ...

They had a section about a 7.62x39 handgun round that was essentially used for assassinations because it was a silent round due it's design and pinless firearm.

Anyone know about the technology behind it?

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I believe it used a telescoping case that trapped the gasses and propelled the bullet with a piston-like device.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Robocop nailed it. Gasses never leave the shell casing. Spetnaz also had an interesting UNDERWATER weapon- fired what looked like a knitting needle.

4. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

US had a similar gun built on the Mdl 29 S&W revolver. Piston pushed out a shot charge. No flash, no sound. Tunnel rat gun.

Bill

5. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Are those types of shells illegal here in the US? Would be a cool collectors item.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

No, the ammo is not illegal- just would be a VERY PRICY collectors item.

7. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Robocop had it right. During WWII the OSS used silenced rounds in .30 caliber. That round uses a captured piston to propel the bullet. It was subsonic. Got one somewhere in my junk. Will try to find it.

BTW: There is a silenced HE Frag round for the 40mm M203 and M79 grenade launchers.