SigSauer P220 ... WOW!!!!

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by Amsdorf, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

I've shot so many pistols by now that I've kind of gotten used to be not being "wowed" at the experience of shooting a different brand of semi-auto chambered in .45 ACP until.....the Sig Sauer P220 came along. Glock fans, this will shock and horrify you, but I traded my Glock 17 plus a few hundred bucks to acquire this German made P220 and ... I could not be more happy. (Don't worry Glockies...the G26 remains my EDC of choice!).

Here's a video I made with the Sig. I've never been more accurate with any handgun literally out of the box. I had a bit of a microphone problem (forgot to turn the darn thing on!), but you can see the results after putting a 7 round magazine, then a 10 round magazine through it from 30 feet out, I was able to get most of them through one jagged hole 1.5" to 2" wide, and for me...that's some Olympic level shooting. :thumb:

LINK TO VIDEO HERE.

The Sig Sauer P220 is the the handgun that made Sig a world player when it comes to handguns. It is rugged, high quality and extremely accurate (in the right hands, of course, not necessarily mine!). The pistol featured in this video was made in the mid-1990s in Germany and is one more highly sought after by P220 purists and fans.

(1975 - Present) Type: Pistol Calibers: 9x19mm (discontinued), .45ACP Weight: 1.9 lbs (0.86 kg) Length: 7.7 in (19.6 cm) Barrel length: 4.4 in (11.2 cm) Capacity: 9 (9x19mm), 8 (.45 ACP) Fire Modes: Semi-Auto (SA/DA, DAK, SAO)

For a great article all about the history of the Sig P220 and all its modern variants, read this article from the National Rifle Association magazine, "The American Rifleman" and if you are NOT a member of the NRA...shame on you! Join today.

Here's the Rifleman article: http://www.americanrifleman.org/Article ... 648&cid=19

Be sure to visit Sig's web site for all the variants available today: http://www.americanrifleman.org/Article ... 648&cid=19

2. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

So glad you love it! One of THE best Sig handguns made. Liked your video too.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Shot one that belonged to a friend of mine about 15 years ago. Put a tight cluster in the black of a bullseye with the first mag at a 50 foot range. I was sold from that day and had my eye out for a good deal on one until last year when a friend made me a deal I just couldn't pass up. Mine has a milled slide instead of the old stamped style. Though it may be a hair top heavy with the bore height as high as it is, it is still one of the best, out of the box shooters I own.

4. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

SSGN, nice. For me, it is the nicest shooting .45ACP non-1911 I've ever used, but speaking of which, Sig's take on the 1911 sure intrigues me!!

I sold my Glock 17 plus $300 for it. I think I got the better deal, frankly. I had put nearly 5,000 rounds through my G17 and had my fun with it. I was never very accurate with the G17.

5. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Thanks, Ranger.

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I'd tell you how much I paid for my 220 but it would make you angry. My buddy goes through guns pretty fast. He just wanted more cash than the gun shop would give him in trade, so that he could buy a Sig 1911 Scorpion. So I did pay less than used retail price.

Like I said, it was a deal I couldn't pass up.

7. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Got grab those deals when they come along.

8. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

In one of your Youtube videos you mention you had problems with the P226 mags. I was curious if the US based factory is using the same standard mags as the German based factory. Please see pictures. No problems with mine so far, and the lgs gunsmith has not heard any problems either. Thank you, Sir. I like your videos.

Attached Files:

• 025.jpg
      025.jpg
      File size:
      29.3 KB
      Views:
    • 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      28.9 KB
      Views:
  9. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

The mags that came with my P220 are MecGars, made in italy.

I did have problems with the really crappy mags that came with my son's P226, they were Checkmate and were very noticeably flimsier and junk.

10. JohnnieHaynes

JohnnieHaynes New Member

The Sig 220 is best 45 on the market nothing else comes close. 5000 rounds on mine never had a jam