Sigma

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Forum' started by ccase39, Oct 25, 2013.

1. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I got stuck with one of these. Boy does it suck. Jams constantly. Why are these things such POS?

2. grandpubba

grandpubba Member

If you don't want it, I'll take it off your hands.

Give it a good cleaning and oil it, I've never seen these jam, my buddy owns the 9mm

3. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

Could be my ammo. I clean it pretty regular. I really want to trade it for a home defense shotgun. My gf has problems with the pistol. I havent had any luck yet.

4. RevJammer

RevJammer Member

A lot will depend on what "generation" it is. Seems I have heard a lot of problems from the earlier versions, I had a SW40VE (I think that's right) and it never jammed, no FTF's or FTE's. It was an accurate, dependable weapon.

Only reason I got rid of it was because I found a different .40 that I wanted more.

RJ

5. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I got it new about 4 months ago. Only put about 200 rds through it.

6. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

Send it back to S&W.
    What kind of ammo are you using?
    I have a .40 and S&W customer service treated me very well in the past.

7. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

I have a Gen 1 Sigma and have no problems or complaints, May be Taurus Syndrome, some work, some don't.

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have the SV40VE. Mine is super dependable. My only complaint is the trigger. I did a trigger job at home. I am pretty happy with mine.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

My dad has a sigma. It was always reliable but the trigger was long and stiff. S&W sent him a couple parts free of charge. He replaced the parts as instructed. Now he is happy with the gun.

10. 60mg

60mg New Member

I have been shooting a sw9ve for the past 5 years and had 2 jams during all this time. Both cases - questionable ammo. I had a trigger spring kit replaced to drop it to 8lb pull. Still tougher than M&P but 4 lb lighter than it came to me. One more thing is the trigger itself. If I'm at the class setting where I have to shoot a lot and for a few hours, the trigger keeps on catching my trigger finger between the tip of it and the trigger guard. When you just start the session it's all good but after a while it starts hurting you. I've been looking for a way to trim the trigger just a tiny bit just to take that sharp edge off but haven't gotten as far as actually doing it. Otherwise it's a great gun especially with a lighter trigger. Longer pull is just a habit to develop.

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Yup----
    Pretty happy with my 9ve--It just stays in my truck but that says a lot for it if ya knew me ;)

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Some people have been purchasing the steel cased ammo (in some areas still, that is all that is available).

The problems I've had so far with steel cases:
    1. Overall accuracy is okay, but not great.
    2. The coating will cause jams if fired in a gun that has gotten warmed up. The coating kind of melts and creates FTE and FTF jams.

One should use quality ammo for the first 200-300 rounds to preclude ammo problems during break in period. Reloads should not be shot (possible warranty void).

13. 60mg

60mg New Member

BTW, I just got off the phone with S&W customer service rep. The reason for my call was the story people here and there keep on mentioning that they got parts directly from S&W to fix trigger pull - make it lighter. Here is the answer from the rep to me today. "We won't touch Sigma on that issue. Some states have that gun on a list of firearms which mandatory have to have trigger pull set to 10lb at least with Massachusetts being one of them." What a bummer especially considering that new Sigma and the bigger cousin (M&P ) doesn't have that issue.

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The "Sigma" is found in several flavors. F, C, V, E, VE. It seems the triggers got worse the further along they went. I have a .40 C and a 9 V. The V has a noticibly rougher/heavier trigger than the C. I have handled some VE's that had REALLY CRAPPY triggers.

The really early F and C models iin .40 had problems with chambering anything but "perfect" ammo. These were the first guns made in .40 S&W and the engineers goofed on the tolerances. S&W replaced the barrels on these (and fired the engineer responsible). Serial # prefixes PAA and PAB were affected by this.

Because they have very light weight frames they can be prone to limp wristing. IMO, 95% of the reliability issues can be solved with a firm grip. The problem is they are marketed to novice shooters who do not know how to properly grip an auto loading pistol.

15. Ruger_Nut

Ruger_Nut New Member

Send me a PM if you want to sell it.

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The absolute biggest cause of malfunctions with ANY light weight framed auto loading pistol is LIMP WRISTING. You must HOLD THE GUN. If it is jumping around like from legs in a frying pan, you will have problems (said the guy with bear paws).

Many females have issues with polymer framed pistols, especially in .40. That is a lively round and requires a firm grip.