Sights

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by glock73, Jun 27, 2014.

1. glock73

glock73 New Member

Have a question. I just recently bought a RIA compact. Am wanting to change the sights they suck in my option. Any suggestions?

Glock73

2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

What do you want to do with it?

3. glock73

glock73 New Member

Want to carry it

Glock73

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

hard to beat a good three dot set of sights.

check out Brownells and MidwayUSA, as both carry a lot of different sights for 1911 style pistols. Brownells even lists the specs of the sights and carrys almost all the various different sizes and styles of the sights for the 1911 pistols.

5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Xpress sights (sp?) An oversized luminescent/tritium front, very quick. Rear is plain or 2-dot. This setup is durable for carry, unlike most fiber optics, and won't snag like some target sights.

6. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

Look into Novak. If you don't do your own work, Novak will do it for you if you send them the slide. If you send them the whole gun, they will sight it in for you.....sort of pay and play :D.

http://novaksights.com/novak.html

YMMV but I have always liked the Novaks.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

A good set of Tritium night sights like Trijicon.

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

What I am seeing the compact has fixed sights that are part of the slide. When shooting a gun with fixed sights the rear sight is just an aid to center the front sight (unless you have a glock. If you have a glock the sights work) But you really shoot with the front sight. That is the way you have to shoot any 1911 with fixed sights. They shoot accurately and quickly. There is nothing wrong with your sights. The problem is the nut behind the bolt.

Is this your gun?
    http://us.armscor.com/products/1911-compact-gi-45acp

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  9. Axxe55

from looking at the pictures of the sight cuts on the slides of the Compact, they look to be using the same cut, just different sights.

without having them sitting side by side and measuring them, it's hard to be certian hey are the same sight cut for sure.

another member last year ran into a problem with his 1911 when he wanted to upgrade to better sights, and IIRC his was a Girsan 1911 and i believe he ended up having his slide cut to a different type so he could use some different aftermarket sights as nothing would fit what was currently in his slide.

might need to take it to a compentent gunsmith and have him measure and check the bevel to see what type of sights will fit the slide or if it needs to be modified.

10. glock73

glock73 New Member

My slide don't have a cut on the front it is a post sight.

Glock73

11. Axxe55

then the front sight is staked. they also make different styles of sights to replace staked sights as well.

12. glock73

glock73 New Member

Can you buy then in a set or not ?

Glock73

13. Axxe55

some do come in a matched set. some are sold seperately.

14. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I'm dropping my Colt Gov't off at a good shop this week to do some trigger work, and change the sights. I'll report back on what they suggest and what I end up with. I'm thinking night sights for defensive carry while hunting, hiking or camping. Carried OWB. So far I like the Heinie set up with a front FO on my V-Bob.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

15. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

Not to hijack the thread for myself but I have an ATI .45 with the .22 slide conversion. The sights on the .22 slide are ok, but the .45 sights leave a lot to be desired. I thought they were permanent and were welded on but after reading about the staked sights I think that's what I have. How much of a pain is it to change them out? It came with an extra set of sights I assumed were just for the .22 but maybe they are for the .45?