Sights for AR

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by minchia, Feb 22, 2012.

1. minchia

minchia New Member

Hey guys, I'm looking into building my first AR. I'm doing some research on sights and I want to install an open red dot sight. Now, for longer range shots, whats the best thing to do, install a magnifier, or swap out to a regular scope? But that would affect the accuracy right?

2. frostyone

frostyone New Member

What distance are you meaning by longer range shots?

3. minchia

minchia New Member

100+ yards or so

4. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Are you talking about during some theoretical battle, switching out the optics, or between shots at the range? Is there a particular price range you are looking at? This could change the entire conversation.

5. frostyone

frostyone New Member

For 100-200 yards a red dot or iron sights should be sufficient. I have no experience with a magnifier but have done some shooting at 200 yards with just iron sights. I believe you can get a scope mount that can be removed and put back on without affecting zero. A magnifier sounds like it could also be a good fit but I don't have any experience with them.

6. JGR

JGR New Member

For 100 yards a red dot is really all you need unless you want to try and shoot little groups. I'm able to make consistent hits on steel plates out to 300 yards with my AR pistol (11 1/2" barrel) and an aimpoint T1.

If you're looking to get a scope also and switch back and forth between optics I highly recommend getting a good quick disconnect scope mount and red dot mount (LaRue, ADM, Bobro) to make sure you keep a proper zero with each optic. It's also important to mark the exact placement on the rail that you mount each optic as you can have variances in the rail that can affect your zero. I actually just use a paint marker to mark the spot on the rail where the mount sits.

As for magnifiers I have never tried one so I can't give you any info. But for scopes what kind of price range are you looking at?

7. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

Up until last year, in the Marine Corps most Marines qualified out to 500 yards with iron sights on both the m4 and m16. This will be my first year qualifying with a scope.

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Times are-a-change'n. W/ the outstanding quality manufacturers are putting into optics there is no reason to not run one. The pros are immense.

9. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

Thats true. I was just pointing out that with good fundamentals and a little practice you can go from 0-500 yards with iron sights. I'm so comfortable qualifying with iron sights at this point I'd prefer them for qual over an acog. That doesn't mean iron sights are better, I've just been shooting with them for 13 years...lol.

Kind of like when I went from an m-16 to an m4 I shot sharpshooter after ten years of expert. And it was the short shot (200yd line) that killed me. Just a confidence thing.

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

It's a matter of what you are used to.

It is my opinion that optics are faster and have a higher ceiling when it comes to overall performance.

11. minchia

minchia New Member

I would be using the rifle mainly to plink around at the range, and occasionally shooting varmints and such at my buddies ranch.
    From what I was reading, the red dot covers the whole target at a far distance, so your not really placing your shot where you want, more of hoping it hits in the right spot..my reason for thinking a regular scope would also be a good idea! Also, if it ever really came down to it, home defense!!

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

If you're going to shoot small animals a magnified optic will probably be best for you. A RDS is more of a MOM, fast a acquisition optic. If you're looking for SD/HD a RDS will be your best bet.

A 4moa dot will cover 4" at 100 yards. Aimpont does make a 2moa now.

13. minchia

minchia New Member

MOM, SD/HD?? Sorry man, I'm still not up to par on all the abbreviations...

14. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Not a problem, minute of man, self defense, home defense.

15. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Hey....MOM = Minute of Man.....wth dude. :p

16. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Consider an Eotech. Its 1 moa dot is great 4 precision and 65 moa circle is faster than a 4 moa dot. Back it up with a 4x flip to the side magnifier for those 400+ range shost and ur golden. Only drawback is weight and $$$$.

You can go Aimpoint like most mine. I prefer the eotech reticle but have issues with it due to my eyes.

I am kinda itching for a 2mo t1 right now. Wth.

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Nah, I thought that was MOTBL...:confused:

Minute of The Big Lebowski :p

18. tsully85

tsully85 New Member

As stated, red dots are great for 0-100 yards and iron sights, with practice, can be effective out to 500 yards, or more. If you're looking to rapidly switch between short and long range shooting you can look right through a 1x red dot with iron sights that are fully adjustable for windage and elevation. Set it up so you're iron sights are in the lower third of your red dot. Then transitioning is as easy as moving your eye a half inch and you'll never have to worry about losing your zero. My 4 MOA red dot's zeroed for 100, but it's 8" big at 200 and a .223/5.56 drops less than 4" at 200, so all that means is the bullet'll be hitting towards the bottom of the dot. That's where my iron sights take over, they're battle zeroed at 300. Unless you're looking for more pinpoint type accuracy at long range that's a combo worth considering.

19. minchia

minchia New Member

Thanks for all the help guys, what I think I'm going to do is get a reflex sight with flip to side magnifier.
    Also, With this set up, can iron sights still be used if needed without removing the reflex sight or magnifier? If it is possible, What, in particular do I need to look for in regards to either of the sights or mounting hardware so all the sights are functional?
    TIA

20. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

What iron sights do you have right now? Are you running an A2 upper with the carry handle or a flattop? If a flattop, do you already have a flip-up rear sight? I use a Yankee Hill Machine flip-up BUIS (back-up iron sight). I'm betting you don't have an A2 because a reflex sights with magnifier would be a lot more difficult to mount on a carry handle.

You want to look for the phrase "co-witness" or "one-third co-witness". That refers to a reflex sight being low enough on the rail that one can use the iron sights THROUGH the red-dot sight. One-third means the sights can be seen in the bottom third of the reflex sight. That's better than being visible through the center of the reflex sight, which is the sweet spot you don't really want obstructed.