Sights for a 10/22 Takedown?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Vincine, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I’ve gone an ordered a 10/22 Takedown.
    It’s for quick shots at multiple targets at different ranges up to 100ys; standing, sitting, & prone.
    Sight recommendations; stock, open, peep, red dot, scope, what?

2. astroman

astroman Supporting Member Supporter

That is Sweet! I've got the traditional 10/22 and love it. As for sight recommendations, I defer to the experts on here :)

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

http://swfa.com/Konus-2.5x32-Konuspro-Shotgun-Scope-P47360.aspx
    http://swfa.com/Konus-1.5-5x32-Konuspro-Shotgun-Scope-P47361.aspx
    I use a 3 moa red dot on my 10-22 but it is hard to judge holdover at 100 yards. I have used both of the Konus scopes and the diamond reticle gives you very fast aquisition with the finer cross hairs for finer shots. Right now SWFA has the BSA 3-9x Sweet 22 for $40. It has an adjustable objective and the new ones have a side focus for quite a bit more money. The range dial does work. I have one on a bolt.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  4. mdauben

mdauben New Member

I put a Nikon Prostaff 4x40 scope on my 10/22 TD. It's a great scope the only problem is its too big to fit in the butt stock sleeve of the case that comes with the TD. To address this i had to mount it with QD rings so i can remove it for storage. Detached it fits easily in the case.

5. aandabooks

aandabooks Active Member

What kind of accuracy are you getting with the takedown model combined with the QD rings?

I've been eyeing one of these but my LGS is too high on a blue stock model at $400. I saw one at a gunshow this weekend for $322 but I'm holding out for a new 1911.

6. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

If you plan on using the take down option I highly recommend a fixed power scope. They are more durable and you really get a better scope for the money. You have to spend over $200 on a variable power scope to get the same quality as a $60 fixed power scope. Lots of people are going to recommend a scope with a 100 yard parallax. 50 yard parallax always has been better for 22LR.

I do about the same things with my 10/22 as you plan to do with your take down. I really like my 4x fixed power. I had a 3x9 variable power before. It was always set to the wrong power for what I needed to do. I traded it for the equipment I need for this hunting season. I killed two crows off my corn piles today. One was in a very tall pine tree about a 100 yards away. When you add the height of the tree to the 100 yards to the tree it was a heck of a shot.

Several of my friends have take down 22's. They get stuffed in a tool box and forgotten about. Buy heavier rings and mounts than you normally would for a 10/22. One friend has a take down bolt action in his plane. The rifle is always buried.

7. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

I just ordered a nikon prostaff 3-9x40 .22LR BDC parallax set for 50 and compensates out to 150 for my 10/22td I just bought .... ill let ya know when I get it in how it is

8. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

I too am looking to scope a 10/22 to teach my 7 year old son proper hunting rifle basics before he's grown or before I die (he can already shoot iron sights very well), thing is I'm so far out of touch with scopes I'm not even sure where to start, I've got a buddy or two I could call though.

9. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I have a Simmons 22 Mag 4X32 from Walmart. Usually if a scope isn't good I know it after the first 4 wheeler trip. The Simmons is still dead on...the scope I killed the crow with. It has a one piece tube construction. In fact, it's the only true one piece tube on the market.