Sighting in the Ruger SR 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by bigred61, Sep 7, 2013.

1. bigred61

bigred61 New Member

Went out today and put another 100 rounds through my pistol, I am still new to 1911's and I am noticing that I am consistently shooting low and to the left. Today I took some steps to stabilize myself as much as possible and the shooting to the left really diminished, but I was still shooting anywhere between 1 to 3 inches low. I am grouping nicely at this range(2 to 5 inch groupings depending on speed of my shooting), but off my mark.

My range was about 12 yards. I hold the .45 with my right hand as the primary grip, with my right thumb on the safety and my left hand cups over with my thumbs joining and my left thumb resting on the slide lock. I stand fairly squared to my target with my left shoulder a little more forward than my right, arms have a sleight bend, and my right toe is instep with my left foot. I am aiming with my right eye.

My sight picture when I aim is center dot even with the outside dots and placed over the target. I try to focus more on the center dot than anything else.

I am certain I am doing something wrong, but I am not sure how to improve. Any tips or suggestions on how to site this puppy in or improve my overall shooting technique?

Thanks

Ashton

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

Could honestly be your gun. Maybe you need to adjust your sights. Also what ammo are you using? As I understand, different bullet weights have different points of impact.

But before anything else, check out this chart:

image-4029491259.jpg

3. bigred61

bigred61 New Member

That image is very informative, thanks for positing it. I may swing by the LGS and see if they have a model with an arched mainspring, I have read that some hand types it works better and helps with accuracy.

Ashton

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

Np. I hope it helps. Good luck to ya.

5. BUCSFAN99

BUCSFAN99 New Member

Before switching your mainspring housing for an arched one try the chart first. 1911's are another animal compared to other pistols. I use the chart provided above every time i get a new pistol and it really helps to identify any bad habits.