Sighting in, and judging ammo accuracy

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by clr8ter, Jan 13, 2013.

1. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I have a bolt action rifle that needs sighting in. Also, for this rifle, and 2 others, I'd like to find out what ammo shoots the most accurate. So my question is; would some type of rest that holds the gun securely, so all you have to do is work the bolt, and pull the trigger, be best? If so, anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

They do make Sled type rests that hold the gun completely for you. But if you use good sandbags and a solid bench you can get accurate enough data to know which loads are performing well and which are not. Besides at some point you are going to shoot the rifle yourself. It might be good to know what performs well while you are running the rifle. But for raw data, I find that sandbags are good enough.

Also keeping an acurate log book is important.

3. minniehill

minniehill New Member

If there is much recoil, I have to recommend the sled. Prevents sore shoulder/flinch if you are working in 3 rifles.

4. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

No. just one rifle each day. Besides, they are 22 LR, Mag, and 17 HMR. Doc, I plan to only use this rest for the sight ins and ammo comparisons. After that, just Bi-pods. Also, I was hoping to get suggestions on what people like, and build something similar myself, out of wood and/or metal. Save some money, you know. Thanks for the sandbag idea, will consider. I would not have said that would've been repeatable enough.

5. minniehill

minniehill New Member

Use old pant legs to make cheap sand bags. Just a little sewing.

6. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Ohhh, that's a cool idea, too!

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been using cut off pant legs filled with my used corn cob grit or walnut grit for years. Much lighter than sand and works just as well for me.

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Good suggestion. Those plastic BBs for air soft guns make a good filler also. And they don't absorb moisture and are fairly cheap and very light weight.

9. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

sandbags and sleds are great tools for sighting in a rifle but a even better tool is your trigger finger. try this trick take a cleaning rod put it in end of rifle barel and balance dime on end of cleaning rod and dry fire rifle and see if u can squeze trigger gently enough that dime doesnt fall off cleaning rod when u squeeze trigger. this is an old army basic training trick that will really help u squeeze that trigger gently when sighting in that rifle. if done right when that rifle fires it should be a suprise. trigger pull is a huge factor when sighting in a rifle. just my two cents.cleaning rod trick is easier if u have someone helping u put dime on end of rod.:) im not trying to brag but i can sight in rifle with sandbags or without cause of good trigger pull.

10. kingrider

kingrider New Member

I love the lead sled for working up loads. When developing a load I'm not testing my shooting skills so much as I am the rifle and loads. When I'm satisfied with my findings I then ditch the sled and sight in off the bi-pod which is usually the rest ill be using in the field.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  11. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I understand the basics of good shooting, ect., but for these 2 purposes, why not take out the human factor as much as possible? As per my OP, I'd not use any rest like that for regular shooting, but for sighting in, and checking which loads are accurate, well, I'm not that good......

12. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

clr8ter,Finding out what rimfires like to shoot is very time consuming,and fun at the same time.
    I have many rimfire rifles,and each one shoots ammo differently. I think I have 17 different 22lr ammo's,and I have shot them all out of all my 22lr guns,as well as the many types of 22wmr that I have for those rifles.
    A Lead Sled works,but I prefer to use a Bulls Bag and a rear sand bag.With the sled,you aren't using your regular shooting position because you can't shoulder the weapon. This causes you to pull the trigger differently than normal,and won't give you a true accuracy while you are actually shooting the guns.
    Besides the Sled is pricey to buy,and using the bags works just as good,if not better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just make a target with several 1" dots,and note which ammo each one is. These are 10 shot groups from my Ruger 10/22T at 50 yds.You can see that it likes some ammo's,and doesn't like others. I never adjust my sights/scope when doing these test.I don't care if they are off,I just want to see how they group.
    When you find out which shoots best,then I adjust the sights/scope to the target.

[​IMG]

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

There is a big difference in plinking rifles and actual one hole target rifles. Which ever one you choose they are enjoyable.:)

14. montveil

montveil New Member

I have used pant legs with sand. The sand will gently work through the fabric and you do not want sand around your rifle-- when using sand I place the sand in a baggy plastic bag first. I just gathered the pant leg and tied them off with old shoe laces which will allow the addition or removal of filler
    Bird seed is also a good filler.
    If you are shooting several rifles, it is a good idea to alternate them so as to let the barrels cool off.

15. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Try ground corncob or walnut media.:)