Sighting in a Mauser?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Lizzard, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Lizzard

Lizzard New Member

Just got a "new" Mauser 38. Cleaned out the casmoline and fired it....about 3-4" left at 50 yards. Not bad. How do I move the rear sight? Or does anyone know of a good web site that shows it? Or....does it even move?

Thanks...

2. AimHigh

AimHigh New Member

3. GarandGuy

GarandGuy New Member

Moving the rear sight will take an Act of Congress. The front sight can be drifted back and forth with a proper sized drift and a hammer that is just enough to make the drift move the front sight side to side so that the movement will not make your shots impact the same distance in the opposite direction. So in other words keep your hammer size small to medium, not a 2 pound ball peen, LOL!

4. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

have to disagree with the above assesment when shooting iron sights you move the rear sight the dirrection you want to bullet to move,and move the front sight opposite direction of the rear sight. as stated above you need to drift the front sight sideways. so if your rifle is hitting to the left of the bullseye you would move the rear sight to the right or the front sight to the left. and since mausers arent capable of windage adjustment with the rear sight you must make windage adjustments with the front sight. hope this helps.

5. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

30/30 you ever see a mauser??the rear site only takes elevation the front site can be moved for windage.you are right if the rear site can be adjusted.
    :rolleyes: :eek: :D

6. 30-30remchester

wildcat you apparently didnt read the last sentence of my post where i stated that the rear sight is unmoveable. and yes in my 30+ years of gunsmithing i have seen a few.

7. AimHigh

AimHigh New Member

30-30 is Correct. I must have posted before the caffine in my morning coffee took full effect. Front sight moves in the OPPOSITE direction you want the bullet to go; rear sight in the SAME direction. Sorry if I caused confusion.

8. 30-30remchester

hello aimhigh after reading your first post i was wondering if my caffine hadnt kicked in yet.lol. it is always fun to got to the range and watch people trying to sight in iron sights. actually saw a fight between father and son one day. its about a fun as watching people trying to back a boat down a boat ramp.