sight question for newbie

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by hawkeye, Dec 4, 2009.

1. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member

I bought a glock 19 and I love it. Here is the question for you older shooters:
    With my glasses off I have a crisp front sight and a blurry target (at 30 feet I can not see the bullet holes) or I can put the glasses on and see the target really well and the front sight is blurry. Are there solutions? Do they make something like a red dot front sight or a red dot sight attachment for pistols? I know some of you have the same problem. Either way I do it I seem to get most in the 8 in circle.

2. MTS840

MTS840 New Member

Your eye can only focus on one thing at a time at different distances. Whether you wear your glasses or not, the front sight should be clear and 'crisp.' The rear sight and the target should be blurry. This is a proper "front sight picture," and this is taught in both police and in military marksmanship basics.

There are aftermarket front sights that can be installed on your G19, but this sight picture should not change.

Concentrate on the front sight.

3. utf59

utf59 New Member

+1

If you train in case you have to use your handgun for defense, you might bring this up to your eye doctor on your next visit. With my glasses on, I can see the front sight clearly. And when I've shot a string of rounds, I can focus on the target clearly. I do wear bifocals.

4. DocSuzi

DocSuzi New Member

Sounds like you might do better with bifocal shooting glasses. I'd suggest you consult an optometrist.

5. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member

thanks guys and gals

yes, I do wear bifocals ,but the focal length must be off for my front sight. Without my glasses I can shoot well at 30 feet...not so great at 25 yards as target is really fuzzy at that distance without glasses. I could just put a laser on the glock and that would solve the problem too since I am useing the gun for target shooting.

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Talk to your optometrist about shooting glasses with bifocals adjusted for your sight picture, not reading. Ask if you can bring your Glock to his office so that he can get a precise measure of the required focal length. Another alternative are those mini bi-focal type reading glasses sold at Walgreens, CVS, etc. You may get lucky and find a pair that allow you to focus on the sights.

I have the same issue...welcome to middle age :)

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

You're seeing exactly what you're supposed to see. A sharp focus on the front sight with the target blurred.

What do you want to see, the blood?

8. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member

I would not mind the blood too much...but my wife has white carpeting so she would kill me :)

9. DocSuzi

DocSuzi New Member

I got so tired of the kind of problems you are describing that I had Lasik and it fixed all of it.

10. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

This problem differs from person to person. I had my optometrist write me a prescription just for seeing the front sight sharply. I had a pair of sports glasses made that way and they work, so far. Of course the target is fuzzier but I can live with that. I can use binoculars to score the target if need be.
    For safety glasses, check out Wiley-X, Gargoyles and Oakley brands.

My everyday glasses are progressive lenses and if I shoot with those, I must tilt my head back to get the front sight into perfect focus. In a stressful situation, where there is no time to think and speed is paramount ( when re-qualifying for my job-LOL ) , I forget to tilt my head back.

If you can't see the bullet holes, switch to a .45 (LOL) or consider "Shoot 'n See Targets " from Birchwood Casey or similar ones from Caldwell.

11. afi1

afi1 New Member

Or don't use sights at all? Try instinctive shooting some time.

12. MB44

MB44 New Member

+1 on that one. I don't use the sights at short ranges.

13. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

This video shows what can happen when non-sighted shooting meets sighted shooting :

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFq5Qkedl3Q&feature=related]YouTube - The REAL Weaver Shooting Stance[/ame]

“ Yes,we use the sights. It is possible, with experience, to do very good close-range work without them. It is also possible to ride well without a saddle and to swim well with one arm. It maybe very good fun, too. But if your life depends upon your very best performance, as it may in defensive pistolcraft, you will use your strongest technique. “
    -Jeff Cooper-

14. MB44

MB44 New Member

If your reference of point shooting is what you see "2:51" in the video, then you are right. Nevertheless pointshooting has evolved to what you can see here [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5_yuu4qnqs"]YouTube - Israeli Instinctive Shooting II[/ame]

15. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

MB44 :
    I watched the clip you cited. The shooter appears to hold the gun up at eye level. Even if you were to remove the sights ( a la D.R. Middlebrooks ), he could still be using Jim Cirillo's method of referencing how the gun should look from behind or...

...he could be using the top of the slide almost like a sight or...

...he could be looking out over the gun and index it that way or...

...StressFire Sight Index...

...he could be cheating and using Flash Sight Picture ( per the Modern Technique ), which is what I would recommend.

This vid is not a good test of point shooting anyway. In real gunfights, Cooper's students and Jimmy Cirillo proved the superiority of sighted shooting.

Point shooting still has its place---in exhibition displays by men with the talents of Thell Reid and Bill Jordon.

So do I dare to say that the Israelis are using inferior methods ? Yes, I do.

" By Flash Sight Picture, you are verifying an alinement already achieved : Is it right ? Yes, it's right...Go ! "
    - Jeff Cooper-

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  16. MB44

MB44 New Member

Rentacop,

I familiar with what the gentlemen in the video is doing, as I have been trained in the same method. Possibly he is using some of the methods which you indicate, and possibly I am too, but I cannot link what I do, to what you are listing as everything that I learned was taught in Spanish, thus other non-English terms are used. Nevertheless, I could imagine that the techniques you mention are superior, given the fact that the foundation for teaching ICPS was intended to be a uniform way to teach the masses. I have trained in this and all I can say is that from the time that I realize a threat approaching, to that I draw from concealment, rack the slide, instinctively point towards the object and place a fairly tight double tap on a moving target, it takes me about 1,5-1,8 seconds. Obviously I do not use the sights, but my pairs are in my opinion tight enough to be effective. Possibly I could improve on this, but I feel that I at this point am sufficiently trained to confront most threats in my environment. I am by no means in law enforcement, nor have I ever served in the military, so my knowledge is purely theoretical, and the closest I can come to any real situation is my IPSC matches, where I use the same technique with success. Hence, I do feel that the before mentioned does have its place.

17. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Once again you are stating things that are your opinion and attempting to make them appear factual based on who knows what. Please explain your realm of expertise and training that supports your claims of the above statements. Please include actual training, not what you read in books or watch on video or YouTube.

18. afi1

afi1 New Member

I agree with that guy lol.

19. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Hey Canebrake, good info but you forgot to mention that any gun without night sights is totally worthless...:D

20. MB44

MB44 New Member

Hmmm,.. with RentaCop banned, this thread is done,... ain't it ? :D