Sight Paint

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by owrstrich, Sep 18, 2014.

1. owrstrich

owrstrich New Member

greetings...

so i gotts this browning 1911-22 compact chambered in 22lr... it has gi sights... which makes it challenging to quickly get on target because the sights are tiny tiny tiny...

im thinking abouts trying to put drops on the rear sight and a line on the front sight...

not having any experience with sight paint... im seeking advice as to is it worth a go... or is sight paint a no go...

[​IMG]

j o

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought some "sight paint" at a gun show last year and it was thick and rubbery. I have seen other guys borrow their wives' nail polish and achieve better results.

3. MisterMcCool

Here is what I bought. I was not pleased.
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1411093270.336261.jpg

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a can of fluorescent orange spray paint. I spray a little on a piece of paper and use a little paint brush like you get with a water color set. I have a S&W 64 that I use for IDPA sometimes. The front sight was really hard to see. So I did the paint. Now it screams at you when you look at it. When I shoot quick shots in competition at 10-15 yards my holes in the targets are usually within an inch or 2 or each other.

Attached Files:

5. RevJammer

RevJammer Member

I have used bright nail polish on a couple of my firearms... they are not night sights... but it was a pretty decent improvement.

For a couple of bucks... I would suggest you try it first. I also picked up a bottle of "clear" to give them a good top coat. Worked for me...

RJ

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Or stop by the hobby store, wander over to the model airplane section, and browse their little bottles of Testor model paint.

PS- All you guys painting your front sights orange- you DO know what color jumpsuits are worn by escaped prison inmates? :p

7. passtime

passtime New Member

On my rifle sights I tried red and white nail polish. The red worked pretty well. I ended up getting some orange, green, yellow and hot pink acrylic fluorescent paint at Wally World. The bottles contain more paint than you would need in ten life times for sight paint. If I remember correctly the were about $2.00 a bottle. Out of those the orange and green worked the best for me. YMMV, Whatever color you use try putting a coat of white as an undercoat before you put on the final color. Oh, make sure you get all the oil residue off of the surface before you paint it. I use 90 percent rubbing alcohol myself. Also you may want to put one color on the rear and another color on the front for some contrast. Hold on to whatever paint you use. You will most likely be reapplying it periodically. I have never tried the sight paint sold by any number of retailers. Most of what I have read on the subject suggests they are not much better than what I mentioned earlier. Of course that's just my opinion.

8. MisterMcCool

Black and white stripes?

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I used red confetti for the Patridge front on a Colt Python.

Take the smallest single hole puncher, I think it is 1/32". Punch out a tiny round piece of bright self adhesive tape. Using small pickups, peel the backside off and attach to the front sight. You can reinforce it with a tiny dab of superglue. It looks to me more professional than a DIY paint job, and what's important it is disposable and it leaves no mess on a prized gun. I posted these pics before.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      27.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      28.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      27.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      26.7 KB
      Views:
  10. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

go to Walmart and get the cheapest fingernail polish you can find. Here is a picture of some sights I painted on a black powder revolver about a year ago. Still looks good.

Attached Files:

11. owrstrich

owrstrich New Member

rodger all that...

all good idears... im gonna try the finger nail polish first because my girlfriend is a nail polish addict with approx 1000 bottles of nail polish...

will wipe the sight down with rubbing alcohol and apply a white first... then try this bright green stuff she has on hand...

j o

12. MisterMcCool

Let us know how it comes out.

13. morgoth

morgoth New Member

14. Over the years I've tried fingernail polish, Testor's model paint, etc.

The stuff that works is Glow-On Sight paint. It comes in a variety of colors and will glow in the dark for a period of time.

It works, is easy to apply, and doesn't chip off.

15. nixfix

nixfix New Member

I bought the Birchwood Casey pens a while ago and am very happy. One of the sights I painted is the front on my Bodyguard, which I carry in my pocket 5 days of the week, meaning it goes in and out of my pocket a lot (I enter a lot of federal buildings) and the paint is very durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I use nail polish. I am going to change the colors of my sights according to the seasons. Orange and yellow are hard to see in the fall. White is hard to see in the snow. Green is hard to see in a wheat field, even the bright green colors.

17. owrstrich

owrstrich New Member

greetings...

read up on nail polish... model paint... florescent spray... the adhesive stuff and and glow on...

i have used nail polish on my motorcycles and cars and such for years... it seems to hold on the plastic parts butts not so much on the metal parts...

i looked at model paint... seems like good way to go... same with the florescent spray paint...

so... stopped at the hobby store and looked at the model paint... stopped at the hardware to look at the florescent paint... stopped at cabellas and got a package of the birchwood casey pens because they had good reviews...

im gonna practice labeling magazines before i got for the sights... then im gonna try it on the sights of my beretta 21a first before doing anything to the browning 1911-22...

i have a house full if 4 to 12 year olds this week while their parents are on vacation... so no handling of the heaters till they go home next week...

will post up the results...

j o

18. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Op: I have the "Full sized" one, if you call a Commander sized 1911-22. "full"..
    I replaced the rear sight, and nail polished the front( lucky that the wife keeps that stuff around. We also put a dab of Neon orange on her SP101's front site.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Really it is easier to use something that comes off very easy. Solvents and lubricants will stain any sort of cheap paint in time.

20. owrstrich

owrstrich New Member

she wanted me to use her opi acid orange polish with a clear top coat... wow is that bright... butts i gotts the paint pens instead...

im thinking i need a jewelers magnified light to do this right... i ended up going outside to the picknic table for the sunlight... i guees its time for glasses...

set up shop to practice on the cardbard 1st then my beretta mags 2nd... before moving to the beretta... wanna get this down before i try sight paint on the browning...

at this point im thinking even sight paint wont be of much help with these tiny sights... im proficient at unholstering leveling off and putting rounds to the thoracic cavity and the head with all 3 of my carry guns... the sig 1911-c3 chambered in 45acp + the beretta 21a chambered in 22lr + the browning 1911-22 chambered in 22lr...

this is at the range of course... not under stress... was thinking sight paint would give me an advantage over plain sights during stress...

the beretta and the browning are super fast to deploy and empty a mag on target being 22lr...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

white base coat...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

orange top coat...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ok... im gonna strip this off... i wanna make dots... 2 rear 1 front... learned a lot from this... hope to get it perfected soon...

will try it again and post up this weekend... this time i will take proper photos...
    j o