Sight adjustment tool broke

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by KHickam, Jun 9, 2012.

1. KHickam

KHickam Member

I just spent $13 on the only sight tool availabe locally and I tried to turn the front sight - and the sight is so tight that it twisted off the wings of the tool when I tried to turn to front sight.

So how do I make these sight adjustments - other than this tool -

2. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Assuming you did nothing wrong, that front sight's

awful tight. Can you see rust?

3. KHickam

KHickam Member

No rust - I sprayed it with break free before I tried to turn it

4. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Try a hammer and drift punch if you have one if not a hammer and screwdriver could work.

5. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

A spent .223 casing can be notched into a DIY sight adjusting tool...

6. KHickam

KHickam Member

:yoda:Still no luck turning down this sight and broke another tool - is there anything that can be used to get hold of this sight and turn it?

The windage is fine but this thing is shooting 4" high with Monarch 5.45 at 25 yds - it killed two does this year and I just want to get it too shoot POA so I don't have to remember to take a 6 oclock hold on everything

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

File it off to size at the range. That's what I'd do.

Edit: Just realized you need to raise the front sight. Fit a bright plastic end cap on it, secure with red loctite.

8. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a spray called PB Blaster, spray on the sight, let sit overnight and try again. Have you tried turning the sight in the opposite direction? Apply pressure one direction the the other. I would not recommend the hammer and punch.

9. Werminator

Werminator Member

Perhaps apply some heat? Worked on my sks front sight when that wouldn't move...

10. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

That was my thought maybe installed with locktite.

11. KHickam

KHickam Member

Heat and tool worked

borrowed a heavy duty tool from a friend - heated it with propane torch and twisted it came loose enough to raise it to point of aim now and found it was shooting a little right so I used the drift tool included and shot 1/2" group at 50 yds

12. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

13. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

I have had a few sights that would not move, I have found that soaking it with PB Blaster helps but there has been a few that took a little more.
    That is why I bought this heavy duty sight adj. tool
    http://stores.polytechparts.com/heavy-duty-sight-installation-kit/
    I had one that took three guys at the range to adjust, two friends held the gun down on the shooting bench & I had to use this adjustment tool with a jack handle cheater pipe to get it to move. It sounded like a shotgun firing when it finally started to move.
    The PB Blaster is a big help too.
    http://www.blastercorp.com/PB-Blaster-Penetrant-remove-stuck-parts-spray

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

15. postguns

postguns New Member

One should always read the directions that come with a sight tool before they screw up the sight

16. postguns

postguns New Member

is that brand new? I recommend UTG version of the AK sight tool for about $10+ shipping on Amazon

17. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

In case of the AK the sight tool is as simple as the rifle. Basically a C clamp. I don't know what it takes to break it (a drunken Yeti?) but replacing is cheap as noted above. Just position it correctly, in a horizontal plane, don't straddle the front sight ears.

18. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Who are you calling a yeti? :mad: