Sig229 not extracting

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by Jessaroo, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Jessaroo

Jessaroo New Member

My 5 month old 229 9mm keeps jamming with a spent casing in the chamber. I sent it back to Sig, got it back last week. Went to the range and even though it's better I still had 4 fte. Do I send this gun back to sig or do I look for help else where. My first Sig experience is not what I was expecting at all. On top of that I'm currently looking for a .45. What to do what to do?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Welcome to ftf.
    First step would be to try different ammo.
    Second, clean and oil the gun and take a look at the extractor.

How many rounds do you have through it?
    Did they explain what they did to fix the original issue?

What are you looking to spend on the 45?
    Are you looking for a 1911 or just want the caliber?

3. Jessaroo

Jessaroo New Member

I have about 700 rounds through it. The first 500 were perfect. Sig polished the feeding ramp. This problem happens regardless of brand, type or grain of ammo. Limp wristing isn't an issue and I cleaned the gun according to Sigs video. No thumbs touching the slide release. Gun jams with either of the two factory mags... Looking for a solid defense pistol. Up until now I had the P220 in mind but not sure anymore. $1100 max. Thanks for the reply.

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

If the gun is on "warranty", send it back for a new extractor or whatever they decide. I hate doing it, but persistence pays, like with an insurance company. SIG gives itself wide discretion, but lemon is lemon.

You can shortcut it and trade in at a loss, but save on the sales tax on a new gun.

Did you happen to shoot a lot of steel cased ammo?

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'd send it back to sig. It Sounds like you had a Burr issue. The extractor may have been damaged.
    If you're comfortable with it, take a good look at the extractor. If the extractor is fine you're probably due for new springs.

I'll leave the 45 suggestions to the other members. In my state the options are extremely limited.

6. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

Are you tap racking you're mags once you load them.I know some guy's that have issues when they have not made sure when loading that they backed the ammo against the mag.Sometimes using an uplula to speedload mags can allow the bullet to be too far forward in the mag.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Everybody loves their Sigs until they go Saur.:rolleyes: My 238 has not malfunctioned.

8. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

In my experience, failure to eject in locked breech pistols is to due to a chamber that is out of spec. Either rough burrs or pits.

Did you inspect your spent brass?

An out of spec chamber will typically leave evidence on the casing, scratches or bulges will be visible.

Sig QC is usually above reproach but anyone can experience a bad batch of parts.

9. Jessaroo

Jessaroo New Member

No steel cases ammo. I will look closely at the brass when I get to the range this week. Also looking to get a different make (mecgar) Mag. Thanks for the replies.

10. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

This is not common, but rule out a piece of lint or something sticky lodged in the extractor. Give it a 15 second blast of Gun Scrubber.

11. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Bad mags typically cause failures to feed, not failures to eject.

I'm betting you find some "bulged" brass... And if you do, return the brass and the gun to Sig and demand a factory replacement barrel.

Good Luck

Tack

12. Jessaroo

Jessaroo New Member

Thorough cleaning and lube 100 fed American eagle rounds later, No issues. Not sure I should be happy about it. I'd like to find the problem. Will try it again in a couple of weeks.

13. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Oh yes you should! Don't tempt the gremlins... But yeah shoot it more!

14. Jessaroo

Jessaroo New Member

image-1607380949.jpg

My 227 equinox. 2 days old :)

15. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Pretty gun. I have 2 229s and haven't had any issues and it also have 2 220s that have been flawless. I will say my 220 platinum elite is a pretty gun and shoots tight and flawless all day, but I like plain jane 220 carry better. I'm new to Sigs but I have 4 of their pistols and 2 of their rifles, and so far I like em. Looking to get a 226 9mm German made, I've noticed that the German made pistols shoot a little tighter. My 220 carry is German and I've shot golf balls at 25 yards with ease, and I have a 229 in 357 Sig that I've shot at 100 yards and hit 10/13.

16. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

This baby is a blast.