Sig sauer P227 thoughts? Please

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by Mcsorleyprobert, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Mcsorleyprobert

Mcsorleyprobert Active Member

Wife and I rented 10+ pistols years back, we considered the P227 in .45.

We never bought one, she is mad, as she,loved the grip and recoil of it.

Are these any good. She wants a used one. I heard they had issues, magazines jamming, unreliable, etc etc.

Anyone have good stories of the Sig sauer P227.

Cain find a good one for a descent price, which is why I’m nervous about this pistol, some of the prices are too good.
    Is this a pistol to pass on and look elsewhere?

The wife really liked it, should I pop for one (maybe) to make her happy
    , or is the P227 a lost cause from the magazine issues and unreliability?

Your honest replies are VERY APPRECIATED.

thank you in advance.

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I think the early problems, only a gain of 2 rounds over the 220, and a lack of sales got it discontinued.

220s have been around for a long time and are not likely to be dropped from the lineup anytime soon.

Getting parts for the 227 in the future being a questionable proposition, would steer me away.

3. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

The reason it’s a slow seller, I am pretty sure, is the grip size And the trigger reach. You need a large hand. Most wives don’t have it. If you shoot single action only, you’re wasting money on SIGs signature DA decocker system. As a range gun the 227 has no advantage over the 220. For range/fun a single action semiauto Is just better.

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

No experience with the 227. But I would trust anything with the SIG name.

I am also an unabashed fan of the P220.:)

5. rock185

rock185 Active Member

I was SIG armorer, but never bought a 227 myself, and none of the officers whose firearms I maintained carried a P227. From most reports, the standard P227 10 RD. magazines worked just fine, but the 14 rd. had reliability issues. I like SIGs but never quite understood SIG coming out with a new model/double stack frame, etc., holding only two rounds more than a standard P220. And for those who desired 10 rounds, an extended 10 round P220 magazine was available. Then SIG introduced an extended, and reportedly unreliable, 14 rd. magazine for the 227. I think most potential buyers would rather have 8 or 10 rounds for sure, rather than 14 rounds..............maybe.

As mentioned, I think sales did not live up to expectations. IMHO, the P227 was just a poorly thought out product. But if the wife seriously wants one, were it me, I admit I'd cave and get her one:D

Mercator likes this.
  6. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

My impression of SIG is they have a shotgun approach. Produce everything imaginable, advertise as revolutionary, manage a few hits. They seem always on the move, the best is yet to come. Apparently it works.

Rifling82 likes this.
  7. rock185

rock185 Active Member

Mercator, Yes, couldn't agree more. Every possible size, color, configuration, mix/match parts, on ad infinitum. The suddenly and quietly discontinue.

Mercator likes this.