Sig P238

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by DodgeThis, Nov 14, 2011.

1. DodgeThis

DodgeThis New Member

My wife picked out a Sig p238 in 380 with laser. I've checked these out before, but don't know anyone who has had one. Recently her attitude toward carrying has changed (some moron decided to walk through our front door one night, enough said). I've been talking to her and telling her what all issues vs. preferences I've had over the years I've carried. With all this in mind, she went out and picked the p238. Now I'm not even discussing the the caliber. I just want to know some opinions of this pistol. My only worry is that a good carry round could be rather snappy with nothing much to hang onto. Now, as for my wife, she's good and well versed in handguns. I'm not going to mention the fact that her trigger finger is faster than mine (and still accurate). She likes the gun. I like the gun. The gun has good reviews. I just want to know if it's going to be too hard to handle.

2. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

I don't think that can be answered here. Only your wife will be able to answer that by practicing. And if she struggles with the gun at first, I would suggest that she stick with it for a few weeks with a couple of shooting sessions per week. Practice/training is far more important that the gun.

3. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

She tamed you didn't she? :p

The Sig P238 was a great choice. It should suit her just fine. ;)

4. crispy500

crispy500 New Member

The P238 is the least snappy .380 out there. I easily shoot it one handed and can put everything on a paper plate at 7 yards.

Slide super easy to rack.

My 27A serial numbered gun has been 100% with every practice ammo and Hornady Critical Defense.

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have one and it is a pleasure to shoot. The range owners wife teaches ccw and shooting classes. She has her choice of any gun in the store and carries one.

6. DodgeThis

DodgeThis New Member

Thanks so much FTF!

7. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

My wife has one and she love it and likes to take it to the range every chance we get. My wife is 4'9" and doesn't have trouble with the recoil. I'm gonna get her the extended mag for it soon just so she ha a place to put her pinky finger. I have yet to shoot it. But I like the feel of it.

play the victim, be the victim

8. Paperpuncher

Paperpuncher New Member

The wifes Christmas gift. Altamont grips and I got rid of that junk plastic trigger and replaced it with a stainless one.

Attached Files:

9. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

The 238 is the BEST 380 on the market imo. So accurate, and you can feel the quality. It's also the heaviest which makes the recoil like a 22. She will love it

10. glockman55

glockman55 Member

Sig (Small).jpg

These are the best two .380's on the market..

The 232 and 238..:D

11. vinced57

vinced57 New Member

Great Altamont Grips

Paperpuncher, I really like the Altamont grips on your wife's p238! Been looking at various vendors and would like to buy a set for my own. My question...are they wider that the stock Sig set?
    Thanks!

12. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

imo the P238 is the best 380 on the market sir. I bought one about a year ago to wear in my workout clothes. It is very accurate due to the tightness and weight of the slide. My only reccomendation is to test ammo types and keep it perfectly cleana nd lubricated at all times. Mine only likes Gold Dots. I noticed if I don't clean it after every session at the range, it will have cycle issues occassionally, which never has happened when cleaned between use. Great gun.

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Agree big time- Took my wife some time to adjust to her SR9C after her little 32 but now she wont even let me shoot it :(

14. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Of the pocket .380s out there the Sig 238 is one of the most shootable ones I've ever tried. Good trigger, useable sights, comfortable grip. What's not to like, except that it's heavier than an LCP. But I think that extra weight makes it more pleasant to shoot.

Great, little .380. My buddy has one and his wife claimed it, so he had to go buy another. They feed Gold-dots pretty well.

15. gollygee

gollygee New Member

My wife likes her P238. She has arthritis in her hands, plus three fingers were cut off one hand in an accident & even though they were sewn back on & seem to work okay, she has very little gripping strength with them. She could operate her Bersa Thunder .380 but it was a real struggle. She has no problem with the Sig.

It's still new with only about 100 rounds through it, but she likes shooting it & has good accuracy even though she is a novice shooter. I've shot about two mag loads though it & have added one to my wish list. :)