SIG P226 vs Beretta M9

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by xTIPPYA5x, Mar 28, 2012.

1. xTIPPYA5x

xTIPPYA5x New Member

Which one should I get. Im leaning towards the M9

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

P226 is a muuuuuuch better gun. Higher quality parts and metals better fit and finish much more durable better accuracy. Had one the only reason i sold it was it was in 9mm. Ive still got my p220 same gun just shoots 45acp. Wonderful gun.

3. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Biggest difference is the price tags. A sig is unholy expensive.

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

P226, hands down. But of course it is more expensive.

I've shot both quite a bit. The M9 is a good gun and a reasonable choice for its price point. My issue is that it's massively overbuilt and oversized. For similar guns I would greatly prefer a CZ 75 (similar price to the Beretta) or a BHP (similar price to the Sig). Both have slimmer profiles and point a lot better for me.

I've always been a little "down" on the M9/92. More about personal preference than its actual function. I generally don't like guns to be unnecessarily big. These are the 4 metal-framed semi-auto platforms that I really like:

CZ 75
    Browning Hi-Power
    Sig P220/226/229/239

Your mileage may vary.

5. Kenney

Kenney New Member

If you're willing to throw down 3k, then this little beauty might pique your interest.

Attached Files:

6. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

It can be had for less, I saw one at a gun show for $1500 but I wasn't in the market for one in 9mm since I had bought the 220X6 but I wish I had the money at the time.

7. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Can you tell me where? And are you sure that wasn't the Equinox and not the Black and White?

8. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Yeah but the gun show in question was about 2 weeks ago so not a lot of use there. It was in FREDERICKSBURG Va and yes I am sure it was a 226X6 being I am an actual owner of a 220X6 and not just a picture finder on the web....... Here is mine

ForumRunner_20120328_190213.jpg

9. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

Dang you GunRunner! With all your high end SIGs and hot wife!

OP. I own a SIG 1911 and a Beretta. You can't go wrong. Pick one and know you have a winner.

10. Kenney

Kenney New Member

If I could own a SIG Sauer p226 X5 Black and White, I would. But the MSRP is $3000 and I haven't found one any cheaper. Regardless, nice ass gun you have there.

11. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

I do have a couple of nice Sigs.... And I do have a pretty hot wife.........not only is she hot, she likes guns and going shooting, she like motorcycles and riding, and I can buy whatever I want and not get fussed at or cut off.... I'm sorry she doesn't have any sisters........

ForumRunner_20120328_220517.jpg

12. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Forget the sister, I'd like the SIG.

13. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

I love my 220X6 but almost wish I had gotten a 226X6 instead for its added round capacity.. I can Buy a coversion kit but I think it has to come from either Germany or Switzerland.

14. goretro77

goretro77 New Member

Comparing both side by side I like them both but the Sig gets the nod overall:
    [​IMG]

To begin with, its lighter:
    Beretta 92FS (w/o mag) 1 pound 15 ounces. Hogue grip:
    [​IMG]

Sig P226 (w/o mag) 1 pound 13.2 ounces, hogue grip:
    [​IMG]

I don't really like the slide mounted safety on the 92FS but its minor. They're both pretty accurate gun but the edge goes to the Sig P226.

Both have great 20 rounds mags made by the same manufacturer: Mecgar, which Beretta actually owns Mecgar.

Beretta 92FS is a bit oversized for a 9mm:
    [​IMG]

Sig P226 is about perfect:
    [​IMG]

You really cannot talk about the Sig P226 and Beretta 92FS without also mentioning the Glock 17, it slighter than both at 1 pound 6 ounces (w/o mag) and very very reliable:
    [​IMG]

15. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

No sir, I won't allow it! No Glocking up this thread if he wants a polymer frame weapon that is worth a damn I would take a look at the Sig SP2022 which is available in 9mm, 40, .357. I purchased mine for about 425 ish I believe with night sights.

ForumRunner_20120328_234931.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  16. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

I'll gladly defend Beretta on this one. Don't get me wrong, I do love me a Sig, but the M9 has always done it for me. You won't find too many people on here that wouldn't take a Sig though. It's kind of like this, would you take a Ford Mustang, or a Shelby GT500 Super Snake? They both essentially do the same thing right? But more likely than not you would take the Shelby, right? The Shelby just happens to have more power and looks really cool. And the lesser brother is the base of that car and is a heck of a lot cheaper. They're both cars that will accomplish the same task equally as well, just one happens to have a little bit more "fancy to it".

It's kind of the same thing with these two guns. The workhorse or the refined piece of art. Honestly, for the sake of groupings, I would take the M9 though. Maybe it's just because I have it in my hands a lot and I know exactly what it does at any distance interval. I'm definitely used to it, but what I love most is that it will always get the job done, and done well. Doesn't need to prove anything or flash any kind of pizzazz. It just does what it does, as it has for many many years. Why do you think they haven't changed much in 25 years? Because it works.

But really, it's whatever feels right to you. Have you shot both before? Pick whichever one felt better in your hands, or better yet, which ever one put it in the 10 more. lol

17. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

First off, not all of Beretta's mags are made by Mecgar. FYI. But yes, mostly correct.

Second, there is good reason why Beretta haven't done much to lighten the 92. It is indeed heavy, but this gives it lower recoil, making follow ups easier. It's large design is what makes the 92 what it is and makes it shoot smooth and effortless. Everyone that has shot my M9A1 has said, after they shoot it, "wow, that's so smooth". If you don't like it, say that. But personal preference and claiming the gun itself is flawed are two different things and contradicts what many years of proven design would say.

18. bigbad-ratman

bigbad-ratman New Member

I will go ahead and say it: get both!!! I love Sigs (own a total 3 right now) but will soon be buying the M9/92 afore too long. I can't consider collection complete until I own one.

19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'd take the SIG over the M9 but neither one really interests me. For a metal framed 9mm it's hard to beat the Hi Power or the S&W oldies. For a modern 9mm you have to look at polymers and though there are many fine choices it's still hard to beat the Glock 17/19/26.

20. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

I have Sigs, P245 (sold cause I needed cash) a P239 & P226. Always reliable, damn accurate and really well made and at this point made in Exeter, NH, the good old USA.

My usual carry is either my P226 9mm with 18 round Mec-gar mags plus one in the pipe. All day long in a CrossBreed IWB, totally comfortable.
    My other carry is a 1911, STI Spartan.

I have over 3000 rounds through the P226 and it feeds everything I ever gave it. That's my experience, but I have heard similar stories from other folk.