Sig P226 de-cocker

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by GlockStar, Mar 10, 2012.

1. GlockStar

GlockStar New Member

This Sig is my first handgun with a de-cocker and I have a few basic questions. I would never decock it in an unsafe direction, but is my home safe? Do these things ever slip or otherwise malfunction? Lastly, how tough or complicated is that mechanism to clean.

As always I appreciate the feedback from the community.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

long as you keep your finger out of the trigger guard and off the trigger its totally safe to decock. sig p22x series have a firing pin block that only gets lifted if the trigger is pulled. the sig p22x decocker is a positive release you have control of the hammer through the decock lever the whole time. its not like the berreta just letting the hammer fly forward.

it actually will gently lower the hammer if you keep pressure on the lever and slowly release it.

they are easy to clean. the sig p22x series are very easy to detail strip. if you have a bit of mechanical aptitude you can detail strip the frame fairly easily and reassemble it with just a screwdriver and some punches. just dont knock any roll pins out or you have to replace them with new roll pins they cant be re-used

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

3. wiliardo123

wiliardo123 New Member

Hello man.

I do not own a 226 but I do have a sigsp2022 .40.

The gun is pretty safe and has passed drop tests ....... Etc.
    As far as engaging the decocker in a safe direction you should continue doing that a GIVEN.

Guns are made reliable but for sure malfunction can happen you just don't know when and where will it happen.

The mechanism is pretty easy to clean but make sure you maintain it using the proper cleaning and lubing agents. The more you clean the less chances of malfunction.

Clean after every use or at least every 100 rounds.

I hope that helped.

4. CipsterX

CipsterX New Member

Sigs have the best hammer drop system on the market because you the shooter have control of the drop.

De-cock away

5. goretro77

goretro77 New Member

Decocking lever is very safe - no matter what just keep it pointed in a safe direction when you use it. My muscle memory always decocks it. I do control the drop as well.
    Just a tip - a tiny, tiny drop of oil underneath the lever keeps any marks off your frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Sig de-cocking system is perfectly safe to use. There are several reasons the gun cannot fire so do not sweat it. Maintenance is a different issue. The system is a bit complicated. I am a factory trained armorer and always get out the manual before re-assembling.

7. GlockStar

GlockStar New Member

Thanks guys!

Just the answers I was looking for. If a certified armorer needs to bust out the manual, it might be quite a challenge for me. My last question for you guys is this: The consensus seems to be to control the drop of the hammer, is this necessary or just an extra precaution?

8. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

The de-cocker on any Sig P22X series is very reliable. I have carried a Sig P229 for over 12yrs. Not to mention the P220 and P239 that I carried off and on over the years. NOW I was able to get me a Sig P226R that I have wanted for longer then my oldest son is.

The only time you need to break down your Sig that far is if you are replacing parts. I only take my Sig down that far once or twice a year for a good cleaning. Other then that general maintance is fine, I use Q-tips and dental picks to get in the hard place to clean.

9. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

It is a little of both. But would you rather be safe then sorry??

10. ahole

ahole New Member

I got my first sig p220 final ager wanting one for over 15 years. The most accuret auto pistol I have ever owned. Safety, way safer than the glocks or the other auto pistols with out a manualI safety. I am considering. Trade ing my IMI baby eagle for a p226 or p229 now.

11. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

As a rule of thumb I never carry a loaded gun in the house. And to decock it you can also do it the old fashions way, just hold the hammer, pull the trigger and let her down slow.

12. GlockStar

GlockStar New Member

Rusty you can't be serious?

13. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

My thought exactly

14. wiliardo123

wiliardo123 New Member

The first part is good. But sorry the second part defies the purpose of the decocker.

15. ahole

ahole New Member

The d-cocker is the digest safety feature of the sig p22* line.

16. CipsterX

CipsterX New Member

Don't ever do this on your sig or you going to get hurt or hurt someone if your going to carry it and have a round chambered use the de/cocker to drop the hammer safely so the gun will be in double action.

17. RustyShackleford101

What's wrong with my way, sure I usually use a decocker, but this way works just fine, just get a good grip on the hammer.

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

because you can easily shoot yourself or someone else. if your doing something as stupid as pulling the trigger to lower the hammer and shoot yourself you deserve it. if you shoot omeone elsebecause your stupid you would best be served by being locked up for the safety of the rest of us.

can you imagine how you would feel if you oopsed and shot someone??

thats why its a terrible idea

19. RustyShackleford101

Don't do it in your dang house! Just point it in a SAFE direction OUTSIDE. People have been deckocking like that since the single action revolvers!

20. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I trust the decocker on my P226 1000%.

And I always keep it pointed in a generally safe direction when decocking. The only damage dealt by a malfuction would be to my ears and possibly some home furnishings.

If you can't reduce the risks to that level, you probably shouldn't own a gun.