Sig or Kimber..

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by HarleyPat, Jul 3, 2013.

1. HarleyPat

HarleyPat Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

So I went to the range this morning with my XD9 and rented a S&W 1911 just to see if I could shoot better with a 1911. OMG ! What a difference. Ragged holes with the 1911. So here are my questions ...will a 5 inch shoot more accurately than a 4 inch? I went to Cabelas after the range and looked at a couple Kimbers and a couple Sigs...thoughts? Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Theoretically the longer sight radius makes the 5" easier to shoot well. As for the the mechanical accuracy of the pistols, it's probably so close as to not really matter. In my experience the 1" (or less) difference is the least of my accuracy issues.
    Of your two options, Sig. Though if you're in that price bracket, Springfield deserves a look, as does Colt.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

A longer barrel will give you better accuracy. I own a Sig and I love it. But buy whatever you like the best.

4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I'd much rather have a Sig.

5. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Value for dollar, SIG wins over Kimber. IMO anything that SIG makes is worth their prices tag. I love my SIG 1911. I bought a 1911 Nitron, really basic. But the quality and Warranty is quite good. Kimbers are good,but many have said that the "II" models are not up to par with their other models.
    My Nitron came in a Tacpac, 3 stainless steel magazines and a kydex holster for $750.

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

A commander length 1911 is 4.25" so we're looking at .75" So there is no a whole lot of difference in accuracy. I've got a Para Ord that's 4.25" that shoots as well as most gov frame 1911's.

As to the ops question I just do not like Kimber pistols. I've not shot but one Sig and it was pretty nice I have to admit bu I hate to make an opinion on just one pistol. I really like the other Sig pistols though so if it's built like those it would seem like a no brainer to me. If I was choosing between the two I'd go with the Sig just on my over all respect for the brand. But I's also look at a couple other 1911's at the same time depending on what was available.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Springfield or Colt in that price range.

If you can afford an Ed Brown, then get that.

8. HarleyPat

My buddy from CA is coming in tomorrow and bringing his Kimber and his Springfield. I'll be shooting both Friday morning then heading to Cabelas to buy myself an early birthday present. :)

9. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I have yet to shoot a Springer I didn't like. It's probably my hands down favorite 1911 maker. I really like STI though too ;)

10. Firenailer

Firenailer New Member

I've got a Kimber Custom II Target that is nothing short of fantastic. Dead nuts accurate and not a single Fail in the first 1000 rounds. I couldn't recommend it highly enough, a really great 1911.

Try it and you'll get one!

11. JohnnieHaynes

JohnnieHaynes New Member

Sig all the way , but the S&W 1911 e series are great. Kimberly quality has went down and are over priced. Sig cost a lot but shoot so great and no manual safety to deal with

12. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Say what? Clarify pls.

13. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

I'm no sharp shooter by any means, but at 25-30 feet outside I'm pretty good with my 3" Kimber. I believe most any if the upper range 1911's will be as or more accurate then most shooters, even in a 3" barrel.
    Never shot the Sig 1911 but I'm sure they're fantastic, but I prefer the Kimbers looks.. There are several good looking and good shooting 1911's. read up and shoot any you can before dropping the coin.
    I didn't balk for on second at my Kimber as I got it used and had shot it many times!

Good luck! Look forward to seeing your choice!

14. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

Sig. My Scorpion has almost got me wanting to trade all my stuff on on 1911s. That Ruger is suppose to be. Solid low cost 1911.

15. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

I work at a LGS/Range so I get to shoot everything:D. Thurday I shot a friend's new Kimber, commander size. Nice shooter, I'm not that great a shot but at 10 yards one full mag inside the 9 ring with 2 X's. Nice pistol.

I carry a Sig Stainless Carry (commander) and shoot even better with it, but it does have a custom trigger job for a silky break. For the money, I buy the Sig every time. JMHO.

16. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

The only pistol I'd buy with a 1 year warranty is a Beretta. I figure a family owned company for a few hundred years means at the very least a quality product. And I've had my Beretta 84fs since the early 90's and not one problem yet.

For the kind of money for a Kimber or SIG ($700+) I would want a lifetime warranty. I've been told Kimber has a 1 year warranty. It might not mean much to most, since so many folks here upgrade and modify their pistols, but not me.

17. HarleyPat

So I went to the range This morning and shot a Kimber 9, two Kimber 45s, a Sig 45, and a Springfield 45... All three Kimbers had feed issues. These were owned by two different friends and used three types of ammo. The Springfield had more flip than the others (at least in my hand) but I was accurate with all the 1911s so that was a minor issue. We left the range and headed for Cabelas. They had a hell of a lot of Kimbers, several Springfields and several Sigs. In the end I purchased a Sig Tac PAC which is a Sig Nitron 45 auto with three mags, Serpa type holster with integrated mag pouch, and speed loader and lock all in a poly case. $899. Il be taking it apart for the first time before I take it to the range on Monday...wish me luck!

And thank you all for your input...much appreciated!

18. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Awesome!! Pics please!

19. HarleyPat

Here ar a couple pics...hope this works :)

Attached Files: