Sig go BOOM

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by HappyHunter, Feb 18, 2012.

1. HappyHunter

HappyHunter New Member

I witnessed a catastrophic failure of a sig p 220 Equinox today. The barrel separated from the chamber to within an inch of the muzzle. I've never seen anything worse even on the net. Couldn't believe the guy didn't get hurt.

ForumRunner_20120218_164308.jpg

2. XxChino13xX

XxChino13xX New Member

Holy bajeezus, glad everyone is alright though.

3. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Do you know what caused it.

4. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

I thought it was only Glocks that did that. What a scary picture.
    He may not have been injured, but I'll bet his shorts were.

5. mkett39

mkett39 New Member

looks like he could have had an obstruction in the barrel. Squib perhaps.

6. HappyHunter

HappyHunter New Member

I was 8' to his left as he was shooting. I didn't hear a sqib for what that's worth. The damage does look that way though.

ForumRunner_20120218_175516.jpg

ForumRunner_20120218_175650.jpg

7. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Wow. That's a good one. I'm glad he wasn't injured.

It's happens to all types of firearms. Except maybe shotguns. Especially when squibs are involved. You're probably rich about his shorts.

-Fred

8. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Do you know what type of ammo he was using? It looks like it generated a lot of pressure with no where to go meaning the barrel was plugged with a round still. Either way he sure was lucky. Now my next question is has he contacted SIG to see what if anything they will do about it?

9. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

That almost has to be from a squib. Or a bad ammo load. Is that a 45? Was he using shooting Federals? I seem to remember a recall not long ago by Federal of a batch of 45 ammo that was loaded with the wrong powder, and they were causing guns to do just that.

10. mrBull

mrBull New Member

Ok I feel stupid but what is a squib?

11. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

An underpowered round in which the bullet lodges in the barrel. So when you fire the next round, into the bullet already stuck in the barrel, BOOM!

-Fred

12. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

looks like it could be a squib but that barrel rupture is along a straight line, perfectly symetrical on both sides...looks odd.

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It can happen to shotguns. Ever heard of a 12/20 burst? Someone mixes the ammo and loads a 20 along with the 12s. The 20 slips into the barrel and the following 12 blows the gun. It can also happen with slugs, mud and wasp nests.
    I am guessing obstruction from the way the barrel and slide look. No bulge at the split so it is a hard call. It looks like the slide did not have time to travel so it was pretty sudden. The slide and frame contained it so there was no major shrapnel flying as there would have been on a revolver.

14. keithyingling

keithyingling New Member

And he didn't get hurt...wow... I'd love to blame the manufacture, not a sig fan... but like everyone said, it looks like a squib...