SIG Arms SHR 970

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by SixGunsRattlesnake, Jan 4, 2014.

1. SixGunsRattlesnake

SixGunsRattlesnake New Member

Hey from Kansas.
    Just picked up a NIB SIG Arms SHR 970 in 30-06. I found myself in the market for a new deer rifle, after becoming increasingly frustrated with my Savage Axis (.308). I decided I would not settle for another sub $500 dollar gun and started aiming a little higher. Originally I was after a Ruger African and after finding one new almost bought it. Thats when a buddy of mine came to me with a NIB never fired SHR 970. Ignoranty I first assumed, as many have, that it was Sig as in SigSauer. To my confusion it was not. Then I remembered The Swiss company.

Well, carrying on, my pal didn't know anything about the gun. He bought it new several years ago at a gun show when we were "Rich and Famous" and put it in a safe never to see the light of day again. In talking with him about my future intentions he said he had a 30-06 he has never shot he'd sell me for $600. I was not interested, but he dropped it off at my house anyway. So I threw in a snap cap, checked the action and pulled the trigger. SOLD! I am in love.

Now, from what I gather, there isn't a whole lot of these floating around. I hadn't ever seen one before. Im wondering how many of you out there have one. Mine is a synthetic stock which does the gun a horrible injustice. Its ugly and feels cheap. But the action and the trigger are crisp and beautiful... With the purchase of the gun my buddy included a custom stock made by his father to my specs. So now I have to tackle the custom stock thing, but I wont shed any tears there...

2. KingTiger

KingTiger Member

I've got one in .308 that I've had for 10+ years. I thought I paid just over $400 for it new. It's a good shooter, yes the stock is less than desireable. The action was a little stiff when I first got it, but it's smoothed out nicely.

I had been hunting with a Weatherby 30-06 with a 50mm scope & I wanted something smaller & lighter. Just don't forget the magazine when you head out. Good luck with yours.

3. SixGunsRattlesnake

Hmmmm. I had looked them up and hadnt seen anything less than $750 if I found any at all.

4. SixGunsRattlesnake

Well, now that deer season is over, I sent the gun to my buddy to have a Walnut/Osage (hedge) stock cut for it. Pretty excited for this years deer season.

Sent from my Z750C using Firearms Talk mobile app