Sig 556 vs ar15

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by rage144, Mar 28, 2012.

1. rage144

rage144 New Member

I'm looking to purchase one but I'm not really sure which to go ahead with are there any main issues that would sway you guys with on over the other?

2. niteglock

niteglock New Member

I'm basically in the se boat as u. I'm between a SigM400 vs any mid/top range AR15. Ill be waiting to see what they say.

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I highly suggest doing some deep research on the SIG 556. Lots of mixed reviews , some good some bad . Personally handling one it was heavier than a standard AR , I have not fired one myself but my buddy has one , He claimed ARs are for chumps when he first bought it so we went out and shot about 200 rds and he had one about every 9-10 rds FTF . I had ZERO issues . His chump claim is now non existant and he now owns a BCM AR15 . Havent had any personal experience with the Sig so I cant comment on it

4. rage144

rage144 New Member

Ok thank you for the input I'll continue to look into them

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

A friend of mine had a sig 5.56 and i handled it and shot it. It was a nice rifle but too heavy for my taste. It was a piston system though, im not sure if sig makes a DI system

6. JSDenson07

JSDenson07 New Member

I have a friend with the sig556, he loved it so much he bought the 522. never let me shoot it though..sorry

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'd get a good AR-15 like the BCM purehavoc mentioned. Enjoy the light weight and pocket the change. Or buy more ammo.

8. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The first 556s were heavy in the foreend. I understand Sig has slimmed down the handguards on later models and may have shed some weight up front.

9. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I bought one of the 522s. Man thats a fun rifle. Ive heard of conversion kits to make it 556, but I haven't come across any yet.

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

The kits are for going the opposite direction, 5.56 to .22.

I would pass over the SIG w/o looking back.