sig 556 or build my own AR?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by mach1337, Aug 1, 2010.

1. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

so Im in the market for a new rifle and Im having a hard time deciding on what 556/.223 chambered rifle I want(already know I want a m1a for 7.62/.308). I really like the look of the sig 556 swat. Products & Services but I cant really tell a difference in it and a ar that I would/could build myself except price? can someone tell me the differences? anyone with experience with a sig 556? likes/dislikes? suggestions on which one?

I know that it would probably benefit me more if I built it then I would know my rifle much better that way.

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've not owned the Sig..But I can't see anything it has/does that an AR couldn't do as well. Aftermarket aside.

3. russ

russ New Member

My opinion is that for the price of the Sig, you could build a heck of a nice AR.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Sig Sauer 556 .223/5.56mm NATO Rifle - CLASSIC SWAT - Top Gun Supply

Really?

$1900 for the Sig, or you can build your own for around $1000 and choose your parts??

I am going to, again, recommend that everyone read the reports of folks just like you who built their own, saved money, learned a ton and have a great firearm.

If you want to spend the money on the Sig, go for it. But I would still recommend building one yourself first.

JD

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Take the money and build one lower and buy two uppers.

* PRESTO *, you get a twofor!

6. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

i like where your goin on that one. well i have been looking at ar-15 builder.com just to see what i would want my ar to look like and to get a feel for the price its looking promising! just one guestion whats the difference in a small pin and large pin trigger?

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

It's actually the SMALL pin versus LARGE pin upper and lower.

Most AR uppers/lowers are small pins ( like .154" inches ) but Colt had the bright idea to make some of their products with LARGE pins ( .170" ) to keep them proprietary to Colt.

Anything that has "standard" pins is the smaller, .154" configuration.

If you buy an older Colt, or an older Colt parts kit, it will be the larger, .170" configuration.

JD

8. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

ok now i know. i 99% sure that i will just build an ar and get a 5.56 upper and possibly a 9mm or .22 uppers so i can have multi caliber rifle... you guys are great thanks for showing me a different path.:D

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

He be hatin'.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Take a look at these:

Rock River Arms: .223/5.56mm Upper Halves

Rock River Arms: 9mm Mid-Length Upper Halves

Rock River Arms: 9mm CAR Upper Halves

Rock River Arms: NEW! .40 S&W CAR Upper Halves

Rock River Arms: NEW! .40 S&W CAR Upper Halves

These guys are great to deal with;

Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Browse | Receivers - Lowers

11. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

one more question is there a place were i can find which calibers are compatible with the standard 5.56/223 lower? i know of 9mm .22 .17hmr, can you do a 6.8mm? and for a 7.62/.308 you have to have a different lower correct? acr's are pretty sweet but 3k is way outta my price range.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Slo - You are up. Please provide the good man with your magic list of calibers. :)

JD

13. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

It would be greatly appreciated I can tell you that!

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Ask here, and 90 plus percent of the time, the answer shall be provided.

Thank you Slo!

JD

15. Josey Wales '94

Josey Wales '94 New Member

I KNOW WHERE YOU GOT THAT!!! Anyway, I am getting a GRENDEL for deer season, love everything about it. And the Beo and Socom are awesome too. I personally dont need or even want an upper in any pistol round.

16. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

for some reason i just dont see a .50 cal round fitting into a 5.56 lower. looks like im gonna have to go down to the armory and visit our gunners mates. man that would be a fun one to have! but on a piratical note i think a .22 and a Grendel upper are in order since i will be savin about 600 on the whole gun over the sig lol

17. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

Slo thanks for the heads up.

I have looked at the 6.8 as well (acr is sick). As of right now I dont reload but plan on it when I am in my own house and not renting. if one of the two (6.5/6.8) get picked up for military use then I would get that since this will be my all around/shtf/rec rifle. I also plan on gettin a Socom 2 after my next deployment. Just to cover all the nato rounds and most common ones that is.

After reading about the 9mm upper and learning that you have to change the hammer for it do you also have to change the hammer for the others? mainly the .22 and the 6.5 6.8?

18. Angry_bald_guy

Angry_bald_guy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm now drooling over a .50 Beowulf...

19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

How about a .458SOCOM?

I give you MAGNUM P*I*G

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. russ

russ New Member

That thing is wicked cool! I have absolutely no use for such a beast, but that doesn't stop me from wanting one. :D