Sig 522, plinker heaven

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Zacsquatch, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Zacsquatch

Zacsquatch New Member

Sold my HK91 the other day and decided to get another "Fun Gun" that didnt cost so much to shoot. I went to sportsmans warehouse to pick up a GSG-5 and saw a tag that said SIG 522! I hadnt seen nor heard of it but I picked it up and fell in love at first touch. Sure, it cost $500 but the mags are easy to find online and it was an all aluminum upper. The S&W and Ruger both seemed a lil excessive. If I am going to spend that much on an AR lookalike, Id just as soon buy an AR for a couple hundred more.

I noticed it didnt have any iron sights but I can do with a red dot for now. I will invest in irons at some point. This thing has also got me looking hard into a sig 556.

First day at the range, it was -10. I lubed it up, loaded the mag and blew through 200 rounds with not a single malfunction. I had a BSA red dot lieing around so I threw it on, it sighted in in 5 shots, and I was getting 1.5" groups offhand at 50 yards and the same on bench at 100. I was shooting all CCI mini mag ammo.

I tried to fold the stock and it was a Pain in the butt. I finally got it to snap into the forgrip tab but it took some doing. I'm sure it will get smoother as the time goes. I ordered 4 more mags and a rail set from sig to go on it as well. Should be a lot of fun when it gets warmer. I would like to see whats up with the lil storage tube where the 556's gas tube is located.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Veeerryyy nice, Zac. Looks plain next to the AK in .223...I'm just sayin. :D

3. Zacsquatch

Zacsquatch New Member

Its only just begun... I have some plans for it... a lighter red dot for starters

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Look up JoshX3Magazine. He loves his, and I just drooled on my keyboard. So thanks. :p

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Great looking rimfire!

I just ordered my daughter a Umarex M4 OPS.

I look forward to your range report. [​IMG]

6. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Can you adopt me, Cane? I'm housebroken...

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Can you shoot a Colt with a pink hand grip?

[​IMG]

8. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Pink is my favorite color...;)

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Sounds like an excellent rifle. Congrats!

10. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

Took mine out to the rang on Saturday last. I installed a BSA RGB dot sight on it. I was shooting 3 types of ammo: CCI Minimags, Federal bulk HV, and Winchester Xpert HV bulk.

After zeroing the gun and firing 400+ rounds, I had 1 failure to fire from the CCI, 1 failure to fire from the Winchester and no failures of any kind with the Federal bulk. Using the smallest blue dot, I got 1-1.5 inch groups at 25 yards. The end result was a ragged hole in the target and none out of the 9 ring. So far, this rifle feels the best of all my "black rifle" .22s. The rifle feels more solid than my GSG-5 or Colt M4 .22. Tear down for cleaning is a snap. The take down pins are captured so there is no fear of losing the pins. Be careful though and make sure the bolt is completely forward during take down. I found out the hard way and had the whole recoil spring/buffer assembly shoot out the back of the rifle. the recoil spring is held to the guide rod by a very small washer that is itself retained by a very small e-clip. I was able to find the e-clip but not the washer. SIG is sending me out 3 of the washers at no cost. In any case, rifle is really easy to clean provided you make sure the bolt is fully forward when you break the gun down. I have not shot the S&W MP 15-22 but, I doubt it will surpass the SG522 in quality or performance. IMHO, this is by far the best of the "black rifle" .22s I currently own.

11. Zacsquatch

Zacsquatch New Member

My buddy just bought a GSG5 today and I'm so glad i got the sig.It just balances in my hand that much better than the GSG. I am jealous the GSG has an awesome set of iron sights from the factory.. We talked to the smithy and he said the S&W M&P was coming back with broken ejectors like the plague.

12. Zacsquatch

Zacsquatch New Member

Took it back out to the range today since it warmed up to 7 above. I threw a POS 4x16x50 scope on it and tried for 50 yards. Bullets were all over the place, but I'm sure that was the crap scope I had on it.

Met another 522 fellow.. He had bought a S&W M&P on the 28th, blew the ejector on the 29th on the second mag he put through it and sent it off. Estimated time for return was Feb 10th, wow.... He then went and got the sig the next day and loved it. I showed him what the lil blocks in the bag were for (stock stop blocks) and where to get new mags. These things really are amazing!

13. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

We relieved our first two 5-22s yesterday. Couldn't get the folding stock on either one of them to latch open. It seems that the ambi safety selector was in the way. Sold one an hour after the guns came in and haven't received any feedback about performance yet. Of the Sigs, Ruger, Colt black gun styles, the Smith 15-22 is still my personal favorite.

If you figured out how latch the stock, please let me know. Joe

14. Zacsquatch

Zacsquatch New Member

Lots off effing elbo grease... You really gotta force it on there.. dont smack it, just apply a lot of pressure.. They do get easier s you do it a couple dozen times. Getting it unfolded is a pain too. The bestoption may be to sand the nub on the foregrip unti it goes smoothly.. Oh well, I didnt buy the thing just for the stock, haha.

15. mag318

mag318 Member

When I bought my Sig 522 neither I or the dealer could get the stock to lock open. We then put the rifle on a folded blanket and used body weight pressure on it and it finally locked. After doing this a few times the stock now locks with hand pressure. So if anyone here has trouble looking their stock open, try this, it works.
    I live in Illinois so it's been to cold to shoot my Sig yet, but from everything I've read I'm sure it will be accurate and reliable. The 522 is definately a quality firearm and I appreciate how easy it is to field strip for cleaning. I was at a gunshow yesterday and saw one with green furniture, so apparently we now have a choice of colors. Looking forward to warmer weather so I can finally shoot my new rifle. I'll be sure to post a range report when I do.

16. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Mag, if your not too far from Wisconsin I know a place where you can shoot indoors out to 25 yards. We get lots of folks from the Chicago area.

17. mag318

mag318 Member

Hunter Joe, Thanks for the offer, unfortunately I'm over 100 miles from Wisconsin.

18. JeffSSig

JeffSSig New Member

I love my 522. A great gun:)

19. spraynpray

spraynpray New Member

Sig 522

I just took my red dot off and put a Nikon 3x9 on mine. I shot several hundred rounds through it on Sat with two kinds of bulk ammo Winchester and Federal. No issues, great trigger and now nice optics. I love this gun.

Only misses IMO... Getting the folding stock to stay folded is a pain and they cap for the storage compartment should screw on not pull off kind of worthless IMO anyway. Still a nice accurate 22 rifle.

My next experiment is to see if I can get the flash hider off to see if my YHM Can will fit on it. :)