Sig .380 anyone got one?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by griffin81, Oct 27, 2011.

1. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

Was at the gun shop the other day with my wife buying some at stuff and we decided to look for her a daily carry gun. She looked at everything they had and really likes the sig .380 cal. So they ordered a two tone with night sights and a laser sight for us to look at. I'm just wondering if any one has any experience with there .380s. Any input would be awesome! thanks David

let the bullets do the talking!

2. riles94

riles94 New Member

I bought the P238 a while back. It was a nice looking gun but I did not like the way it shot. It was hard for me to hit the target since the trigger pull was heavy. I shout about 200 rounds through it and had about 8-10 FTF. I was expecting a better pistol since it was a Sig. I sold it at a gun show for 425 with the laser.

3. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Huh? The trigger pull was to heavy? Its a single action trigger, it the lightest trigger you can get. I have a sig p238 and its a great gun for what its designed for. Short range. This would be carried when your in suit and tie or dressed where you cant conceal a larger gun. There is already a thread on the sig p238 and similar .380's.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

4. countryboy

countryboy New Member

I have a 232, its a very nice pistol, my only complaint is it uses a European magazine release. The magazine catch/release is at the butt end of the pistol grip making quick reloading a real pain. With some practice, speed can improve, but not enough to compete with a ppk or bersa. You might want to look into those pistols as well.

EXPENDABLE

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

I opted for the bersa thunder series. I considered the sig and a few others the bersa came out on top.

6. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

This pistol will be for my wife who doesn't Carry a purse ever she's 4'9" and has really small hands she can shoot my 45s and 357 but she wants a carry gun. I liked the ppk and the bersa but she was not a fan of how heavy they were. And she thinks the kel tec and Ruger are to small for her to be comfortable shooting she didn't like the plastic feel.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

I would strongly recomend renting some because the smaller and lighter you go the unpleasentness and difficulty in shooting grows exponentially.

Im not hawking a brand or trying to talk you out of a choice. But small guns are very difficult to shot enough to become proficient. Better to rent or try with her shooting and find out now that she doesnt like it then end up with a gun she really hates and just wont carry.

My wife has a de50 and the smallest gun she will willingly shoot is a ppk/bersa. She doesnt like 1911s everyone has different reactions to recoil and the only way to figure it out is try em.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a Sig 238 and love it. I traded off my P3AT to get it. The P3AT was not fun to shoot. The Sig is well mannered and has functioned flawlessly with 2 kinds of HP, FMJ round nose and FMJ flat nose. I put 50 rnds of Win flat nose through it last week with out a hiccup and not a bit of hurt. Could easily have gone another 50 but 380 aint cheap. It is accurate too. The trigger gets better the more you shoot it and it is possible to have it taken down some. Pretty much the same as a 1911. I have about 300 rnds of 4 different brands through it so far. It is the carry for the range owners wife and she has her choice of any firearm she wants. She is a CCW instructor and firearms trainer. Hers is prettier than my plain little pistol. I think they all come with night sights. I keep mine loaded with Critical Defense.

9. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed. To lazy to type what has already clearly been stated. :cool:

10. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

Well the new sig238 can in the wife liked it so I bought it for her. But while we were there a guy was there wanting to trade a XDM 40 cal + $200 cash in on a judge and a cowboy style custom holster. So I asked the shop owner If I could see the springer. The guy said he bought it an put it in the safe and had never even had it out of the box to load a mag or shoot the thing. So I looked at it and the wife asked how much. The gun shop owner said $475.00 so she said to pack them both up and pay the man so we both got new toys.

image-607781040.jpg

image-1342477016.jpg

11. Olympus

Olympus New Member

You made a good choice. I bought the P238 last weekend and so far I've been really impressed with it. I've been sitting in my chair at night watching tv and working the slide and dry firing the gun. The trigger has smoothed up and lightened up noticeably already. I haven't taken it to the range yet, but I'd estimate it's been hand cycled and dry fired about 700 to 800 times already. I'm looking forward to my first trip to the range with it soon. The night sights are big and bright!

12. riles94

riles94 New Member

Huh? Yea it is or was heavy and unreliable. I bought it b/c it was single action. I thought it would pull like my 1911 but that wasn't the case. I didn't start the thread just commented on it. Signing out, GFY

13. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Heavy is a relative term. Heavy compared to what? Compared to my SR9c, my s&w 66, and my commander 1911, I could call the P238 light.

If it was unreliable, what did Sig do to make it better?

14. Paperpuncher

Paperpuncher New Member

I bought one and shot it last week. It a nice easy shooter, and relatively accurate at 7 yards. I was shooting some reloads and had some issues, but I will say right now it was ammo related and not gun problems. I'll buy some name ammo for the next trip out and give it a go.

The hammer didn't lock all the way back a couple of times in the 1st 50 rounds, but did shoot better the 2nd 50, so we'll see.

15. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

ok. I am a 1911 freak and feel the trigger on the p238 was perfect.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  16. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

Fight! Fight! Fight! Trip, go get some popcorn!

17. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

Well we went shooting yesterday she liked the sig shot some from 5 yards 8 yards and 10 yards. She was used to my old glock 23C so I thought she did well. A few more trips and she will be great with it. She did like the feel of it just had to change her grip a little and it took some getting used to for her.

image-3835342375.jpg

play the victim, be the victim

18. puppage

puppage New Member

Me, too. Wonderful little guy. The only problem I have now is......how do I get it out of my wife's little hand?????

19. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Now I wished I'd asked! My favorite gun store has a used pistol/revolver case. I was checking it out the other day & it is loaded down with Sig .380s! I'm not familiar with Sig & they may make more than one .380 model, but must have been 6 or 7 of them! I meant to ask him why so many, but we got to talking about other stuff. It just makes me wonder why so many people would be trading them in. They had probably 20-30 used handguns & not two alike other than the Sigs.

20. Paperpuncher

Paperpuncher New Member

They must be old initial run guns with the early issues. Redesigned mags, and new recoil spring corrected most of it.