Sig 357 p226 or new 1911 nightmare?

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by tampamiketaylor, Jan 28, 2013.

1. tampamiketaylor

tampamiketaylor New Member

Hey guys

I'd like your input on a p226 or 1911 nightmare in 357sig cal. Not really looking for a concealed gun and primarily accuracy and reliability. Let me know what you think

Mike

2. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

I gotta say that I love shooting the 357. When I can afford it.I'm really glad I bought my P226 in 40. and bought the conversion barrels in 9 and 357.It gave me the ability to shoot what ever my little heart desires.You will be able to do the same with a 357. P226 but I don't know about the 1911.Just what little experience I have hope it helps.

3. Spazzmodicus

Spazzmodicus New Member

More negligent discharges occur with 1911's than with 226's by reason of having a saftey lever that needs to be activated, or people holstering "cocked and locked" and then knock the safety into the fire position with the edge of the holster when drawing or holstering.

Sigs are safer imho in that your 'safety' is your trigger finger. Simply keep your finger off the trigger and out of the trigger guard until ready to fire. There is the additional safety of the double-action first shot.

One of the cool aspects of the .357 Sig round in my experience is the flat trajectory the bullet flies with and accuracy. Very accurate round.

Between the .357 Sig and .45acp you're gonna' be spending $$ but you could always do as somebody else mentioned and pick up a 9mm conversion for $250 or less on the used market, or around $300 or more new, and have two guns for the price of one.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  4. tampamiketaylor

Good point, I do not think the 1911 has the conversion to other cals so that would def be a benefit of the p226.

5. tampamiketaylor

Yeah, I heard about that concern on youtube and some issues. So far 2 + for p226. Thank you!

6. Spazzmodicus

Spazzmodicus New Member

I accidently sent the previous response before finishing it. There's more there now. :)

7. tampamiketaylor

Thanks! yeah, the more I read about the Sig357 the more I think it. I was set on the P226 in sig 357 cal but found out that the new 1911 nightmare has 357sig now. Seems with the possible failures on the 1911 new platform I am leaning back on the p226.

Thx,
    Mike

8. Spazzmodicus

Spazzmodicus New Member

Plus, the Navy Seals use 226's, not 1911's. :)

9. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Several operations groups still use 1911's and some also use the 226.

I've owned and carried both platforms. They are both good platforms. There is nothing about a 1911 that makes it any more or less inherently safe than a 226.

I would suggest you shoot them both if possible. While the 226 is a good gun, NOTHING on planet earth shoots like a quality 1911. It is the finest SA trigger available on a factory gun and it's handling characteristics are second to none.

Good Luck and be safe.

Tack

10. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

The reason there are more NGs with 1911s? Because there has to be 20 times the number of 1911s in the world as opposed to Sig 226s. It's like saying that because there are many times more fatal traffic fatalities in GM vehicles compared to say, Porsche. Then GM obviously builds unsafe vehicles. :rolleyes: Yeah that must be it.
    Serviceable 1911s are only "unsafe" if handled by careless or untrained people. Pretty much the same as any other pistol. It's simple math, it you have 10 times as many people with a specific type of pistol vs. another, there is 10 times the chance something stupid will occur.
    Say...where do you come down on Glock Leg?

Navy SEALs use pretty much whatever they want, including the SIGs. The Marines just ordered a buttload of new Colt 1911s. Which proves exactly ...well, not a whole helluva lot. Aside from the obvious fact that people who know, still consider the 1911 viable in today's wartime environment.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I'm a 357sig fan and owner, a 1911 fan and owner, and the previous owner of a P226 in 357sig. So I might be able to offer something here.

357sig- Great caliber, but expensive and sometimes difficult to acquire. Sort of the 25-06rem of pistol rounds in that way. Excellent energy and a very flat shooting medium caliber round. But if your budget pushes your "wants" aside with regularity, there are much better caliber choices in my opinion. Light and hot 40sw and stouter loaded 124-135gr 9mm defense rounds can be ballistically similar to 357sig...except that the range fuel will be far more affordable than will be the case with 357sig.

1911- Is a great option, and I would choose it in 45acp. Bigger bullet, faster follow-up shots than 357sig (which handles much like a muzzle-flipping snappy 40sw, rather than the 45acp's 'push back'), and 45 is actually about 20% more affordable for range ammo.

Sig P226- Great platform. Probably among the 5 best currently produced handguns in my opinion. But they're expensive and I don't shoot them particularly well. This is why I sold my .357 P226. I have zero complaints about the gun's performance. Only my own fit, as well as the ammo costs.

My advice is that you investigate (the costs) and experiment with (the shootability of) the guns in question. 1911 in 45acp is great option for most folks. A Sig P226 can be great for many folks. A 357sig can work well for some folks. 9mm, 357sig, 40sw, and 45acp all can and will get the job done. It's really just a matter how the round/platform in question meets your particular needs, budget, etc.

Everyone has their own tastes. If Springfield ever offered their XDm 5.25" in 357sig or 10mm, that might well be my range/HD handgun of choice. It wouldn't be a ideal for a lot of people, but it'd sure put a smile on my face.

12. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

I say .. What the hell.. gett'em both... :D

13. tampamiketaylor

Thanks tackleberry!

I've shot a p226 and loved it but never a sig 1911. I will head over to the range this weekend and see if they have one.

Mike

14. tampamiketaylor

Thanks sweeper22!

Excellent feedback and insight into your experience! I will test fire them both but the sig 226 does seem more flexible with just getting a conversion kit for 40, 9, and I think 22 cal. Need to see if that is avail on 1911 but I do not think so.

Thx,
    Mike

15. Spazzmodicus

Spazzmodicus New Member

Um....thanks for the unnecessary and really long'-winded math lesson but it's not like the Sig 226 is a spring chicken, in that it's design hasn't changed much since it's inception in the late 30's, one whose origins were also from the pencil of John Moses Browning.

Security agencies around the world have chosen Sigs (all with the same basic design) in far greater numbers than they have chosen the 1911. Look at law enforcement in the USA alone. Most law enforcement were carrying revolvers until the 70's or 80's, not 1911's. Many states switched to Sigs when re-equiping with semiauto handguns. Some states still use Sigs today, not 1911's. So I'm not sure exactly where you're getting your numeric data from. There has been plenty of opportunity to hear about negligent discharges from Sigs over the last 30 years. Where's all the reports?

Like it or not, a potentially unsafe condition is inherent in the design of 1911 or any firearm in which the user carries it around "cocked". The safety lever works fine as a safety lever but it also can lead the user into a false sense of security with somebody thinking their gun is safe and not realizing the moment said safety lever is switched to the fire position by accident.

And To say that all negligent discharges occur by untrained people is kinda' brash and arrogant. Look at the well known Youtube video of the DEA agent shooting himself in the foot when holstering his Glock in a classroom. Are you going to say he wasn't well trained?

Moments of indiscretion and misplaced attention can and does happen to anybody regardless of level of training. It's part of the human condition. For that reason alone it makes sense to not have a firing mechanism cocked until 'time of use'.

"But I won't have time to rack the slide in the occurrence of an actual event if I don't carry the gun cocked". No sh1t?! That's one of the marvels of the double-action system.

At any rate, a certain amount of elevated attention and focus is required to pull the hammer back and arm a firearm, or simply squeeze the trigger harder on the first shot, on a Sig. 0% of that attention and focus is required to accidentally bump the safety into fire position on a cocked and locked 1911. You do the math there, since you like math so much.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  16. Spazzmodicus

Spazzmodicus New Member

I recently picked up a Sig 226 .22lr, complete with a beavertail. Not talking about the Mosquito here. I removed the slide from it and put on the slide from my 9mm Sig 226. Fired like butter. No problems at all.

17. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Spaz

Every manufacturer who's produced non SA Only pistols has come up with a slick marketing campaign aimed at maligning the "inherent safety" of the 1911 platform. They do this because despite it's century old designs it's still the "prefered" platform for experienced shooters.

I've personally owned and extensively fired an example of every trigger/action design on the market so I know the reason for the 1911's longevity is it's EXCELLENT trigger characteristics. Characteristics that simply can not be duplicated in a DA/SA, DA Only, or Striker platform.

The first 13 of my 17 years of daily CCW was with a 1911, first a 5" Colt then later a 4" Kimber without a single ND.

You are correct about ND's occurring with experienced shooters due to momentary lapses however there is a difference between an ND into a clearing barrel and an ND into your foot in classroom full of children.

An LEO Badge does not equate to a well trained individual and it does not matter how smoking cool his Dred Locks look...:rolleyes: That agent was a punk of the highest order and he proved it with his comment about being the only one "professional enough to handle this weapon." BAM!

Every gun requires the same basic principles of:
    Finger indexed on frame until sights are on target and...
    Muzzle Control

Our now Famous Amous of the DEA broke them both and is immortalized in Internet lore as the biggest Ass Hat to EVER wear a badge.
    I'm pretty sure his ND was with a GLOCK .40 but with a clown like that it could have been any gun with the same result.

Tack

18. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

But I'm long winded? :confused:
    It's OK to be a DA Sig Sycophant, but come on. How about you get yours converted to DAO, since you love DA so much?
    The 1911 is not inherently unsafe. It's just not as idiot proof as you'd like. Just because "Cocked & Locked" offends your sensibilities doesn't really change mine or many others opinions. I will continue to carry my 1911 in the manner in which it was designed. If you think it's unsafe or overly complex, so be it.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  19. tampamiketaylor

Hey guys,

I really appreciate your productive responses on this topic. This kind of debate may seem aggressive by some but it is a sure way to uncover different POV’s and highlight some excellent points. These points really help gather the facts needed to form a decision. Seems that both the Sig 1911 and the p226 are still excellent candidates to look at. I will shoot them both and try to make the decision. Does anyone know if Sig offers conversion kits for the 1911 nightmare platform to other cals such as 9 and 40?

Thanks again!
    Mike

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

There are nightmare models in just about every format sig makes based off the 1911 platform. The 938 and 238 have em at least. I carry two nightmare 1911s and both are great weapons. I say shoot any and all you can and go from there.