Sig 290

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by MOshooter, Sep 25, 2013.

1. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

I've been looking at the Sig 290rs,it looks like a very nice pocket 9 pistol.

Any one here with any experience with the sig 290?
    If so I would like to hear your opinions and experience with the sig 290.

Thanks

2. 1911Shooter

1911Shooter New Member

I love my 290rs! It is a little bulky for pocket carry but very possible. I have around 600 rounds through it without fail and it is very accurate. Some don't like the heavy trigger but I have found that with a little practice it is a very nice, smooth trigger. I am not a big fan of the included however the sights are great. I carry it in a desantis superfly and a sneaky Pete holster. Hope this helps :)

3. 1911Shooter

1911Shooter New Member

Edit:: that would be I am not a fan of the include laser..

4. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

1911shooter,
    Thanks for the Sig 290 input report,I've heard the triggers were a bit heavy. The Sig 290 looks like a great little ccw.

Thanks again

5. jrw711

jrw711 New Member

The P290rs is my first Sig. I use it as one of my CCWs. Initially it had a few Glitches, but now it cycles fine. I am not a fan of the laser either, although it works fine. I use the Sig holster that comes with the gun, but have had to wrap electrical tape on it in order to hold the pistol. As expected, the "plastic" wears and retention fails without the tape.

6. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I just picked up a 290RS in trade. Has the night sights but no laser. The guy I traded with didn't have the original box but it came with an extra 8rd mag for a total of 3. The trigger seems long but way lighter and smoother than the Ruger LC9 I used to own. I'll try to get to the range with it this weekend.

7. pepprdog

pepprdog New Member

I really dislike my Ruger LCP. I decided on the original P290 and am thrilled I got this accurate easy to shoot mini-pistol. I can shoot a lot of rounds before hand fatigue sets in. With the Ruger a couple magazines and I was done.
    The trigger is not bad. Smooth and fairly long but consistent.

8. Mercator

Mercator New Member

It is a better pistol, as the price would suggest. You missed nothing by not getting a laser. In a small defensive pistol it is useless or worse. It is not really a sight, or a substitute for real sights- it is a target designator. If you are not planning a forced entry to clear the building or arrest somebody, keep your personal weapon simple.

9. edknn

edknn New Member

Just got my new P290RS out to the range for the 1st time. I had 2 minor problems where the last round using 124+p Gold Dots jammed requiring a slight pull on the slide to finish chambering it. HST and FMJ were flawless. A 3rd mag of Gold Dots ran fine. I haven't received my pocket holster yet, but the loaded gun felt fine in the pocket when placed there for a few minutes. It felt so good in the hand and being a revolver guy, the trigger is great. For carry, I feel a lot safer than a lighter, shorter striker fired guns like the Shield or LC9S. No need for a safety.

10. jrw711

jrw711 New Member

Really like my P290RS.....carried it to day with a T-Shirt. Any FTFs were some hand loads. 115 gr factory/defensive loads cycle fine. My preference is using Cor-Bon 115gr

11. paladin51

paladin51 New Member

Purchased a 290sr a month ago and really like it. Came with a 6 and 8 round mag, attachable laser sight and a holster. Trigger pull is long but very smooth. Taking it apart is a little diffcult but other than that really like it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  12. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

IF you can get around the 20oz empty weight and the heavy trigger Its a great small pistol . I would not trade my low cost cm9 for one .

13. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

I have owned a Sig P290RS for quite a while. Mine is stainless over black and I also have the laser. I pocket carry the gun on many occasions with no problems with laser attached. I happen to like the laser for home defense if needed, especially at night or near darkness. Even tho it has night sights, the laser is much quicker to acquire a target when light is low. As far as the trigger, it is long and heavy but practice makes the trigger manageable. I really like the P290RS for a self defense gun, and even though I carry others from time to time, the 290 gets the most carry time. A great carry piece.

14. jrw711

jrw711 New Member

Does anyone know if you can purchase a green laser for the P290RS? I prefer a green over red laser. Thanks.

15. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

In all the web searching I have done I haven't come across one. Not saying it may not exist I just haven't come across it.

16. triplekinghammer

triplekinghammer New Member

17. franco45

franco45 Member

I shot my P290rs again today. That's 220 fmj and 50 assorted jhp without a hiccup. I believe I will start to carry it. I just put a P290rs in 380acp on layaway. I couldn't pass it up for $300 and Sig's current rebate of 2 free mags and a carry bag.