Sig 227

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by bigrock44, Apr 1, 2014.

1. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

I have been thinking about purchasing the Sig 227. Even though I love my Sig 1911's I do think there is something to being able to carry 14 rounds of 45 in your firearm. Does anyone have any reviews from their usage of the 227.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

The 220 and 226 have superb track records and the 227 is a 226 chambered for 45. While it is new and I'm generally not a fan of early adoption, sig has a very very good record releasing problem free guns in centerfire.

I haven't seen one in person but I do own and have a LOT of trigger time on a p220.

3. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

No P227 trigger time here, but plenty of Sig experience otherwise.

I'd echo JonM's sentiments. If the gun fits your hand well, it'll probably be great. The P220 and P226 are both excellent, time-tested designs. This is like a combination of the two, but thicker than either. So get ahold of one and make sure that bulky grip doesn't deter you (it'll be a far cry from a single-stack 1911).

My only double-stack 45acp is a Springfield XDm. Great fit...for me.

4. Donn

Donn Active Member

14 rounds? The article at the American Rifleman website says 10rd capacity.

5. G30USMC

G30USMC New Member Supporter

I also have a sig p220 chambered in .45ACP ..... Very nice weapon

6. DP03

DP03 New Member

It's a 10+1 with a 14 rnd extended mag available.

7. trigger643

trigger643 New Member

I've owned and shot Sig P22* series pistols since 1989. I've owned and shot 1911s since 1984...

I've always considered the 1911 somewhat anachronistic, a great gun that's been eclipsed by greater guns, as time and evolution are want to do.

Although I enjoy the 1911, especially a well healed one, it has never been my first choice in .45.

Neither has the P220. Now I would pick the P220 over a 1911 primarily because of the technological advances evident in the P220. It is as accurate and is simply a more refined, more reliable and safer pistol to carry and handle.

My preference has gone for the last 15 years or so to the HK USP .45 series of pistols. Okay, I cringe at plastic pistols. I really do. But these are great guns and most of the preference comes not only from their performance, but the fact they run so well in my hands and "feel right".

Now comes the P227. Let me start off by telling you everything that's wrong with this gun........................................................................

1.You can't get it without the silly Rambo rail, otherwise I think it would fit in my P220 & P226 carry rigs & holsters (Maybe I can grind it off and not void the warranty).
    2. It really makes the 1911 look old. I mean Model T, 8 track tape, black and white TV -- with an aerial stuck on the roof, full service gas station with uniformed attendants and oil changes old.

I normally prefer full sized .45s. I've never been impressed by the USPc, for example, or the commander or those dinky little ones so many are producing these days. Not that there's anything wrong with having a lot of fire power in a small package, heck I carry a 340pd every day. After the opportunity to shoot both the Carry and the regular size, I chose the Carry not because it shot any better, but because it shot and handled just as well. For those rare occasions when I do conceal carry a full size, it's a P226 in either a Serpa or a Miami. Not that this gun is really that much smaller.

Is the gun perfect? Not quite. I'm a fan of the SRT, since getting one in my X5. I'd like one in the P227. Made a note to get one. And I'm left handed. It would be nice to swap the mag release button around and I've not got around to seeing if it can be done yet. And I'd like to shave off the silly rail.

Then it will be a perfect .45, at least for me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  8. Jessaroo

Jessaroo New Member

I absolutely still love my 229 but my new 227 has now become my favorite now. This gun is great. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1396886142.566810.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

9. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I just got my p227 today, traded my STI Spartan 1911 for it(with some cash on my end) and gotta say it seems solid. Mine is the Nitron model w the 4.4" barrel, I will post a range report after I get a chance to fire it. Also there is a SAS version that doesn't have a rail.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  10. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

A picture or it didn't happen lol

Attached Files:

11. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

Took the 227 to range today and was very happy w it, it shot great and was more accurate then I am. Had no problems other then one FTE that may have been my fault. It felt very similar to a 1911 and wasn't slightly awkward like Glocks are to me, very soft shooting for a .45

12. Wayn3r

Wayn3r New Member

I really like the smooth DA trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

13. sliverflinger

sliverflinger New Member

My 227 carry doesn't have a rail. Haven't seen any 12 or14 round mags yet.

14. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I personally like rails on my "combat" handguns except my 1911's

15. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I haven't seen much hype about the 227, kinda wonder why? Its a great firearm

16. ratpacker

ratpacker Member

Many pistoleros have their expensive stable of sidearms pretty full. Safes packed to max capacity. These gun lovers are proud of their pricey guns.
    Now Sig comes out with a more ergonomic, built like a tank, & nite site gun.
    1000 dollars worth..... of a better pistol. Some biased resentment, keeps some from touting the praises of a sidearm, chosen already by two State Police agencies.
    I think soon , we will see a lot more Hype when elite, match & super match versions are added to P227.

17. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Two agencies, in the entire country? Wow. Major trending!

This seems a bit short-sided. I have zero doubt this is an excellent gun. The P226 and P220 are both top flight pistols. But the P226 doesn't seem to fit me so well (I wish it did), so I sold mine. I'd imagine a P227 would be plenty great, but would probably fit me even worse than the P226...in the same way that I'll never buy a Beretta/Taurus 92, when I could get a BHP/CZ 75 instead. I guess I just value sleeker/slimmer guns with my medium-large, under-massive hands.

Good gun, but thick gun. It'll be truly great for some. Just like the Beretta 92.

LE/Mil will never jump en masse to an expensive gun that fits some, over a more affordable option that fits most.

I'd jump all over a P227 if it fit my hands great. And I'd recommend the same to anyone in the market.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  18. trigger643

trigger643 New Member

19. ratpacker

ratpacker Member

It does fit my hands ...very well. Not much thicker than a Sig P226
    There will soon.. be 12 rds in a mag .......promised ..are the 14 rds. ( NOT). Make your own mag base, with a wide 9mm mag. Add 1 & 2 rds. Smart folks ...★★.. wait for the better models to come out.
    SIG has the old philosophy of GENERAL MOTORS.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014