Sig 226 with safety? SRT?

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by TerminalE3, Dec 19, 2012.

1. TerminalE3

TerminalE3 New Member

Looking to order my first sig 226 in 9mm. I want Ine with a safety though. Do they even make those or can the custom shop do it? I also have been thinking about getting the Short reset trigger (SRT) on it. Is it really %60 shorter as they say and is it worth it?

2. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

the SRT is great, well worth it IMO. But don't expect to find a P226 with a safety, it is not configured as such. I don't think it's warranted on a P22X firearm. But if you want a SIG with a manual safety there are some models that have one, P238 and P938 and their 1911's have a manual safety.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012

3. TerminalE3

TerminalE3 New Member

Ok then I'm for sure gonna get the SRT. I was looking around and saw some of their .226 competition models with safety's so that's why I was wondering if the custom shop could install one. Know anything about the beavertails on some of the models? I'm used to 1911's and think I would want a beavertail, does it make a difference on the .226?

4. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

My apologies, that P226X5 is the model you refer to. It's got the beavertail and the manual safety. but you better sit down it's about $1700

5. TerminalE3

TerminalE3 New Member

Yea I saw the price, a lil high for sure! But was just wondering if anybody knew since they have the safety on that model if they can do it to any 226 model.

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Why the desire for a safety on a long double action first trigger pull? Just currious.

I understand some local competitions can require them. Competitors can like tehm for teh cocked and locked option to get only short trigger pulls on the range. But the idea of the long initial trigger pull is along the same principle as a double action revolver.

I guess if you were wanting a option for cocked and locked carry it could make sense.

Like I said, just curious what your reasoning is. I have a 220 with the standard decocker, and like it a lot for the simplicity of knowing all I have to do is draw aim and squeeze. The important part is decocking before holstering, but that is the same for a manual safety as well.

7. TerminalE3

TerminalE3 New Member

I understand the long trigger pull and the de cocking feature. The safety is just something i always like on my weapons.

8. kodiak

kodiak Member

Even revolvers? because a decocked Sig is the same thing.

9. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

The SRT is the way to go on the 226 it is truly a much shorter pull than in DA .Everyone likes to carry a little bit different you may have to Google search for a 226 with a manual safety to find one.The beaver tail is entirely an aesthetics thing.I thought about getting that option on mine and after doing a little research decided to do without it figuring that if the situation ever arose and I had to draw it may snag .The only thing you haven't asked and you might want to consider is caliber .If you buy a 40.S&W or 357.SIG you can buy conversion barrels in either 9mm 40S&W or 357.SIG for about $150 mabey a little less per barrel.If you buy in 9mm you have to buy a caliber Exchange kit for over 300,and I think that price is on the low side.

10. TerminalE3

TerminalE3 New Member

Yea a beavertail is not a must for me. Just would prefer it, but am probably gonna go without. The SRT am going to get for sure. And I've looked into the conversion kits but am fine with just being 9mm. I am interested in a magwell for it and the 20rd mags they have though.

11. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

Then you're probably want to go with the Tac ops it's got everything you're looking for minus the manual safety.As for 20 round mags go with Mec-Gar.I found mine at GregCotellc.com he had great prices when I was looking but prices may have changed.He was great to deal with he called about a problem with my order and personally called me to straighten out the issue.I would have no problem in doing business with him again.

12. kodiak

kodiak Member

Greg Cote is out of 20 round Mec-Gars. I think your going to be SOL trying to find any right now.

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

A manual safety is completely useless on a DA/SA trigger like the Sig. The slide mounted lever on the S&W's and Beretta are NOT intended to be used as safeties, but rather as safe decocking mechanisms. The decocker on the Sig is perfectly safe. IMHO, if you want a manual safety, get a different gun

14. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

I tend to agree with the manual safety on the da /sa Sigs being useless but to each their own.

15. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

I believe the decoker is one of the safeties.

16. kodiak

kodiak Member

It's not like a beretta

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If that's what you like then good on ya. It's one if the nice things about companies that offer a lot if variety.

I like Glocks for carry and competition just for the reason that I only have to straighten my trigger finger to get the safeties to engage. They would probably win more customers though if they offered models with an external safety for folks who insist on having one though.

18. TerminalE3

TerminalE3 New Member

Just ordered my new 226 in 9mm, with night sights and SRT. Can wait till it gets here, I'm pumped ha.

19. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

Congrats on the new family member.Now it's a waiting game for you're mags.

20. TerminalE3

TerminalE3 New Member

Yea should be here in about two weeks. Comes with two mags, I'll see how they do and then maybe order some more or different ones if there are problems.