Sig 1911s anyone?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by SingleAction, May 13, 2009.

1. SingleAction

SingleAction New Member

i have been looking at 1911s for awhile now and i have been hoping to buy a nice medium priced stainless model. Does anyone know anything about sigs line good or bad? i was on the web site and the 1911 stainless looks very nice. any input?

2. propex

propex New Member

Do not quote me on this but I don't beleive a Sig is a true 1911 clone. All parts are not inter-changeable if I remember correctly

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Propex is correct. The sig line of 1911's are a great pistol, but they are slightly different than the standard, traditional 1911 family.

Sig is making a good quality, well built 1911 and they have entered it in the military pistol trials, so that alone says something.

I think, for the money, there are other pistols out there that are a better overall value ( Taurus PT1911 and Kimber Custom II ) but there is nothing wrong with the Sig line up.

JD

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

For the money, and if you can find one, the Colt model O1980XSE is my favorite 5" Government.

colt xs government.jpg

Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC

The new model O1070RG named "Rail Gun" has been announced, but has yet hit the gun shops, looks like a winner with a MSR of $1055. It comes with a Smith and Alexander high-ride "true" beaver tail grip safety w/palm swell, Novak White Dot Carry sights and the tact-rail.

00-01-14-09-0067.jpg

00-01-14-09-0065.jpg

00-01-14-09-0066.jpg

Looks like my XSE without the rail;

[​IMG]

5. Slawth

Slawth New Member

I fondled the Nitron, the Platnum Elite and the TTT prior to finding my Talon and although they were well made, they seemed somehow bulkier then other 1911's in the shop (not to mention they were were waaaaay overpriced). I actually liked the Taurus' better.

I was not aware that the Sigs were not true clones. That plus the price secures a big thumbs down from me.

6. supergus

supergus New Member

If and when you get to shoot a SIG 1911 your "overpriced " comment will be replaced with a **** -eatin' ear to ear grin and you'll realize that they are actually a good value, and accurate as hell:D

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Ah Jeez. Just when I thought I had all the Colt Gov't models I could ever use...

8. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I've fired Sigs that were priced close to double what my cheap little Kimber cost. They both did the same thing.

9. lonewolfdj

lonewolfdj New Member

Go Kimber

Sig's products are generally overpriced and don't hold their value well... The main reason is b/c Sig will let almost anyone buy direct from them (5 pistol minimum purchase to become a Sig dealer). Kimber makes an amazing pistol and their quality is top notch.

10. supergus

supergus New Member

I was curious as to what kind of Kimber you have and what you paid for it. I paid $900 with tax and have put 6,800 rounds through it and it's still as accurate as the day I bought it. So you have a Kimber that you paid $450 for?:confused: Sure they both did the same thing; they put holes in things, but how about accuracy and reliability?
    Lonewolf, I'm not sure how you can say SIG 1911's are overpriced when most of their 1911's are at or under 1k, which is actually less than the average price of a Kimber. Anyone who thinks that SIG's 1911's are somehow inferior to other "mass produced, higher end" pistols has clearly not owned a SIG for any length of time. I urge anyone to give SIG a look, and I guarantee that the SIGs will run with any comparably priced gun.
    I hope I didn't come off as cranky, but.... I am! Headed to the dentist and I'm not really in the mood for that!:mad: I always respect other people's opinions as I hope others would allow me the same consideration. Thanks.
    That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!:D

11. lonewolfdj

lonewolfdj New Member

I overgeneralized about Sig's prices.... I should have said that some of their guns are overpriced but that doesn't necessarily include all their 1911 models. Sig does not do a good job of controlling their pricing like other companies and with their dealer program, their pricing has become even more out of control now. You can go out and find, on many sites and auctions, almost any Sig model less than 10% over dealer cost while they normally set their MAP pricing at roughly 25% over cost. Sometimes more. I won't buy a Sig for that reason. Their non-1911 pistols are definitely good quality but I'll put my money into another brand. I'd probably go for a Glock or H&K for a non-1911 and a Kimber for a 1911. I also really like a few Springfield 1911's.

12. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

[​IMG]

$720 out the door, brand new from a Kimber Master dealer plus another $20ish for the grips. $1100 to $1200 is about average price on a Sig 1911 around here, but you can still pick up base Custom IIs and Compact IIs for about $700.